When did you start gaining weight?

Options
NancyKhuu
NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
I am curious as to when/why/how everyone started to gain weight. Was there a specific trigger? Were you in your 20s or 40s? And when you realized it was a real problem to your health.

Replies

• schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    20s... started due to depression which is always fun (not), and continued when I got a sedentary desk job. I never wanted to exercise and ate whatever I wanted, and I thought calorie counting was dumb. I decided to try to get my act together when the scale was reading 200 lbs
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Bed-ridden inducing injury + lack of motivation to be the active person I was prior to it = 90+ lbs gained.

Happened around 18. Got my act together around 24 years old.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    When my body decided to turn against me and develop an autoimmune disease. Early 20's.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    First Grade.... so 7-8 years old.... gained about 15 lbs before my Second grade year, due to me eating and watching tv all summer long, vrs playing outside... then the teasing/bulling started.. so turned to food, since it didn't talk back... also my Mom's answer to everything was food so just continued from there my entire childhood till I was 27 130lbs overweight about to be put on high blood pressure meds and miserable.... and I was going to have to buy a size 24 !!!!!
    SO started this journey and today 7 years later I'm down 125lbs and have kept it off for over a year... currently I'm working on toning everything up for my 'Flex-Friday' photo :)
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It seems that the day I turned 20 my metabolism completely shut down. I was in the 170s by the time I turned 21 and over 200 before 30.

ETA: I did lose about 35 pounds at around 25 and got down to the low 140s for about a year before I gained it all back and then some.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    early childhood
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I bought my first computer.
  • courtneyfnc
    courtneyfnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started working at a craft beer bar a few years ago (when I was 23) and was encouraged to taste the beers on tap. Craft beers are delicious, but FULL of calories. I drank a lot for a couple years and gained 30+ lbs. I began drinking less, but I kept the weight on because I was still eating like crap. I'm just now seriously trying to lose this weight and exercise.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    19.... I started birth control and gained 10 pounds. At 25 I was off birth control and lost 10 pounds in 3 months. I started different birth control then gained a massive 20 pounds.
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    Mine really started getting bad in my early 20s, right after I graduated college. I started working at a place that served food that was really bad for you, but free, so it was easy to eat. I also wasn't walking to class every day, so I wasn't getting any exercise. And from then I think my metabolism just shut down and is crap now, so I have to be very careful.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've always been small, 5ft 2 and 8stone 5lbs, but when I was 42 I had a brain stem stroke , lack of mobility and not being able to work anymore, I lolloped about all day and put on weight.

After about a year my partner got me a greyhound and I started walking again, but I still gained weight. I have balance and sight issues but I can walk, so i'm slowly losing the weight again :happy:
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I was an early casualty in the childhood obesity epidemic. Mom was buying my clothes in the "husky boys" section as far back as I can remember.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When i went to my grandma's house for a weekend visit at the ripe age of 7 years old.

It's been downhill ever since that weekend in '93 :grumble:
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I haven't been skinny for YEARS. In a couple of months I'll probably be below 200 for the first time since high school.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    When i was just about a teenager - not a teenager i started playing more games inside instead of playing football etc outside with my friends. I also developed a bigger love for cookies.
  • RoseLavAllen
    RoseLavAllen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed my food but I gained about 4 stone (some was due to growing but most was fat) when my dad became ill then passed away in 2012. My mum would often give me the wrong food after this if i asked because, I guess it made me happy.

So yeah, I guess mine was just really comfort eating. I have now lost quite a lot of that weight that I gained because I realised that eating my troubles away wouldn't solve anything & would just actually make things worse, NOT BETTER ????
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started gaining a bit of weight around 5th grade, so 10 years old. The weight really started piling on when I was in 6th grade. I was home alone everyday for the first time so I had bigger snacks since no one was around to tell me I couldn't. The school lunches were also "good", there were some days when I had pizza, fries, and cake because those were the choices that day. I guess I was going through puberty at that point, but I didn't grow that much. I started hating my weight when I was about 17. I lost a few pounds, but a few months after I turned 20 I really became disgusted with myself. I was never technically obese, but at 5'2" and 160 I was pretty damn close. I would do anything to have the chance to go back and redo my middle & high school years.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy. I never had a weight issue until then. I didn't even know how to start to lose weight after I had her, so then my second pregnancy I was even worse off. Add in some depression and drinking a stupid amount of calories a day via soda and coffee and here I am.

I'm 34 and for the first time in my life I'm learning about calories and protein and fat and what my body needs. Kinda sad.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Childhood obesity is fun. I think I started getting fat at around age...8, or maybe 9 at the latest. My mom cooked delicious, yet horrendous food, let my siblings and me drink as much soda as we wanted, and there were zero restrictions on TV time, video games, or candy binging. So yep.

My new friends in college decided they wanted to start exercising, and I was like, "Well, it can't hurt, and I'd like to hang out with these people more." Cue becoming BFFs with some genuinely good people for the first time in my life and dropping 70 pounds.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When my body decided to turn against me and develop an autoimmune disease. Early 20's.
    Same here, then years of yo yo steroids and fatigue etc...etc.!