Female gets life for stopping in fast lane to save ducklings

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
What do you think about this?
Woman, 25, faces life in prison for stopping on highway to rescue ducklings and causing crash that killed a father and his daughter

Emma Czornobaj, 25, faces life in prison
Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16, died in 2010 after crashing into Czornobaj's car on a Canadian highway
The financial analyst parked her car on the road with the driver's door open and no hazard lights on
She said she wanted to catch the orphaned ducklings and take them home

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2663995/Canada-woman-stops-ducks-guilty-2-deaths.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think she could have been a bit smarter and because she made a dumb move which cost two people their lives, she's going to have to pay for it. I know she didn't intend to cause their deaths, but she did. BTW, I am a huge animal advocate and am very involved in rescue and caring for animals, but I also realize that you have to be safe with whatever you are doing to save an animal.
  • Bulls_23
    Bulls_23 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm ok, but not ok with it.

Mainly just for hypocritical reasons that often times people that kill people while drunk driving don't even get life. So I don't understand how that happens.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Mainly just for hypocritical reasons that often times people that kill people while drunk driving don't even get life. So I don't understand how that happens.
    Absolutely agree with you on drunk drivers. I had a friend killed by a drunk driver (habitual) and he only got 3 years. I'm betting the guys still drives drunk.
    This is more than likely why I quit drinking altogether.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    It's possible that a judge <b> could </b> sentence her to life on vehicular manslaughter charges but it's also highly unlikely that he will. My guess is she'll get a X sentence with the time written off as probation. If she did get life in jail then it wouldn't bother me one iota. People who inadvertently or purposefully put someone at danger to stop in the road for an animal should be chained to a post and publicly flogged for their stupidity.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Absolutely agree with you on drunk drivers. I had a friend killed by a drunk driver (habitual) and he only got 3 years. I'm betting the guys still drives drunk.

IDEA Fitness member

Is that the difference between the US court system and the Canada court system? I figured the possible sentence might be the norm for that area. I do think it's too harsh because of the reasons cited here.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous to sentence her to life for this. The motorcyclist had the responsibility of leaving the proper stopping distance plus driving a motorcycle on a highway means you should pay better attention, because hello you get killed much easier. I read that they didn't notice until a car in front of them swerved to miss the parked car, if the motorcycle was following the swerver properly they would have had ample time to break a freakin motorcycle which can stop fast.
    Stupid judge.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous to sentence her to life for this. The motorcyclist had the responsibility of leaving the proper stopping distance plus driving a motorcycle on a highway means you should pay better attention, because hello you get killed much easier. I read that they didn't notice until a car in front of them swerved to miss the parked car, if the motorcycle was following the swerver properly they would have had ample time to break a freakin motorcycle which can stop fast.
    Stupid judge.

I totally agree with this. The whole story is just very sad. She should have done this, they should have done that. It sounds like a bunch of mistakes/Negligence on both parts. To give her life in prison in my opinion is way to much.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I didn't think we were allowed to have debates like this in the forums???
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Woman, 25, faces life in prison for stopping on highway to rescue ducklings and causing crash that killed a father and his daughter

Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16, died in 2010 after crashing into Czornobaj's car on a Canadian highway
    The financial analyst parked her car on the road with the driver's door open and no hazard lights on

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2663995/Canada-woman-stops-ducks-guilty-2-deaths.html

IDEA Fitness member

I think there but for the grace of wandering wildlife go I.

Tough one. Because lack of common sense is something I can empathize with. At the same time, stopping dead on a highway? No. I think in reality even I'd have to let the ducks suffer their fate. I did stop and save a turtle on what was technically a highway once, though. It just didn't happen to have much traffic. It was sort of a highway in name only. Hey, I live in the boonies.

Sad for everyone involved except the ducks. Is this what the family of the victims wanted? If it were a family member of mine, what would I want the judge to do? So tough.

For the record, if I'm ever killed because of someone trying to save ducks, go easy on her.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Stupid judge.
    Yes others do have responsibility of leaving proper stopping distances IN CASE of a road hazard or accident. Problem here was, there was no accident or hazard. More of negligence. It had to be taken into consideration. Had she blown a flat tire and had her hazards on and sat in the car (she didn't have hazards on and was on the road distracting other drivers), then I'm sure the trial probably would have never happened.

IDEA Fitness member
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Whether you are trying to save a human or an animal the procedure isvthe same:

DRABC

D is for Danger....assess the Danger to you and others before acting. In this case she didnt and two people died. All familys including hers have suffered. Absolute tragedy. :cry:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    *Tardily reads article*

The wife and mother actually saw it happen. I guess if I were the judge I'd want to ask her what she wants to have happen to this woman.

So sad.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    ample time to break a freakin motorcycle which can stop fast.

Not trying to be argumentative but generally motorcycles can not stop as fast as cars. Due to the smaller brakes and two contact patches where the rubber meets the road instead of the four a car has. I completely agree with you though that they should be driving with enough distance to stop safely.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    the Canadian justice system is *kitten* ridiculous

oh you raped your /other children for 5 years? heh we will sentence u to 6 months but you will only serve 3

ohhhhhhhh you accidentally caused a car crash that resulted in people dying WELL YOU CAN JUST ROT FOREVER
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

They get a slap on the wrist... then they do it all over again. Law is too lenient on drunk drivers.

I think she should have used her brain a bit better. Sad that family lost their lives.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Well she hasn't even been sentenced yet, I doubt she will get 25 years, that is just the maximum sentence under the crime with which she has been charged. They will probably take into account victim impact statements from the family and the fact that there was no malice in her actions. A non-story really.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Sentence was way too harsh, imo. Yeah, I get that people died as a result of negligence but what about that case in Texas about the teen who rammed into four people, killed them all, then sentenced to only rehabilitation because he has "affluenza??"
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I know a guy from college who was pulled over for speeding and caught driving drunk and the officer actually *apologized* to him for having to take him into the station. He said "Sorry, really don't like doing this to nice guys like you!" WTF... HE WAS DRIVING DRUNK.

As for the story at hand, I doubt she'll *actually* get life in prison. Usually there's parole and such for these types of things. But to be honest, the pain of having been involved in accidentally killing two people is probably more pain to bear than going to prison for life :^/
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    She was stupid and killed people. she could have put the flashers on or pulled over more. Personally i think drunk drivers should be shot on the spot to save us time and money later. Same for murders and rapists that are guilty beyond a doubt. Give them 5 minutes to say goodbye then drop them in a grave.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    As for the story at hand, I doubt she'll *actually* get life in prison. Usually there's parole and such for these types of things. But to be honest, the pain of having been involved in accidentally killing two people is probably more pain to bear than going to prison for life :^/

This.