"No eating after 7pm!"

Options
124»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump for thread links and studies and folks commenting about going over their calories.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I tend to only have wine and chocolate after 7pm.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Is this actually a legitimate issue? What IS the issue?

it is nonsense...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Nope eat whenever you want. It's a very old dieting myth.

Meal timing may effect weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20460/full

I admit that I did not fully read through the first article. However, I did notice it was self reported intake, and there was no mention of calories being kept constant between either groups for comparison.

The second does mention that cals were kept constant among both groups, however it was done on obese individuals with metabolic syndrome and doesn't mention how the activity or intake was measured... It would help to see the full article (can anyone or do you need subscription?)

Edit - Yes, I see you mentioned "may"
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    People make it more complicated than it is already. When you eat, your sugar levels go up and it makes your body get its energy from only glucose for a while until sugar levels go to normal levels and it starts burning fat and glucose at the same time.

Your body will do anything to get rid of high sugar level in the blood so it can burn carbs and fat at the same time, which means meal timing is irrelevant.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I tend to only have wine and chocolate after 7pm.

You are a wise man...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always wonder what people do that they can somehow sit down and eat by 5 or 6 or whatever to avoid turning into a ghremlin or whatever they think is going to happen to them when their metabolism magically shuts down at 7 PM central and mountain...hell, my tires don't hit my driveway until 6;30/7:00 most nights and then I still have to make my dinner among other things.

I think this myth must have been started by old retired people who eat at 4 and are in bed by 7.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i dont eat past 7 most nights, but we have dinner by six, and i have a snack midday.

my hubby is a lifelong skinny person, as is his whole family. They tend to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, no snacks between, and then have snacks in the evening. they all maintain healthy weights...so who am i to judge.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    So I am asking a legit question, I'm not debating or anything.
    I've heard from so many people that eating after 7 pm (or is it 8 pm?) is bad, and for whatever reason, I can't really remember.

Is this actually a legitimate issue? What IS the issue?

Is it *certain* foods after a *certain* time that are bad-- or anything after a certain time?

I guess I'm really confused.
    Thanks in advance!
    No it isn't legitimate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    *looks at the empty bowl that had strawberry shortcake in it five minutes ago* Yeahhhhhh, not an issue unless you have a medical reason. In fact there are some nights in the fall/winter where I can't eat dinner until 9:30. It didn't bother me while I was doing that after I began losing weight.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I work a full on graveyard shift. At least 2/3 of my calorie intake takes place between 7 PM and 7 am. As of the scale reading yesterday, I'm down 30 pounds. I'm 99.9 % sure that "rule" is more about digestive issues than weight loss issues.
  • Shapeupwithalla
    Options
    For best weight loss results, you should stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    For best weight loss results, you should stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed!

NO!!!!

Great job not reading the rest of the thread!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I live / work / commute in London. If I couldn't eat after 7 or 8pm I'd never eat dinner! Some days I don't get to sit down for dinner until 9pm!

This. Because of work I frequently eat around 9 and sometimes later. I've generally lost about 2 lb/week anyway--more than MFP predicts for me--so it doesn't seem to matter. I try not to stay up terribly late because I usually get up at 5 or so.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Lmfao. No.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit fan of total in versus total out regardless of time of day.

Some people and some suggest that eating big before bed will disturb your sleep. There are some studies that confirm somethings or too much will disturb your sleep.

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsgoodforyou/theshow/694624/eating-just-before-sleeping-151-will-it-affect-your-sleep
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ss/slideshow-sleep-foods