When did you start gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In 2010, I was in the hospital for Asthma & Bronchitis - pretty severe. They had me on steroids for a week, and I had to taper off of them when I got out for another 1-2 weeks. I was always starving and I ate everything I could to try to make the hunger go away. After that, I slowly started gaining steadily. After many, many stressful events involving a horrible breakup and the death of 3 close family members, I kept gaining, but I had no health insurance. Finally I had my thyroid tested and found out I was hypothyroid, and after being treated for that but still not losing any weight, I was tested and started being treated for PCOS. It's been a long journey and I'm trying to stay positive and change my eating habits. My current living situation is also very stressful but I am working on ways to cope.

Thank you everyone for your replies as well and thank you for this post. It was very interesting to read everyone else's story.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As a few others have said, I had a warped sense of how heavy I was as a teenager. I was tall early and never really skinny. But, at 5'7" and 130 lbs, I was definitely not overweight. Ironically, I jumped up to 155 lbs in the military. Still not technically fat but I sure thought I was. Being stationed in Germany with great beer and bratwurst was good and bad :smile: I never got officially overweight until I hit my forties.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was always 'chubby' and overweight growing up- I guess just bad eating habits from the start. I never ate balanced/well planned meals it was mostly snacking on and off all day paired with a LOT of soda. Sundays was the only day where we had any family meal since both parents worked late growing up. I did lose a lot of weight at puberty but went back to being chubbier by end of high school. When I went to college it just kinda took off even more with eating out all the time and convenience of things like pizza/subs.. Then when I had to take an abrupt break from school since my father was in the hospital for over a year to help my mom paired with being in a ****ty relationship; I kinda got depressed and before I knew it 4 yrs went by and I was a 100lbs+ heavier.
  • OUCHilly1
    OUCHilly1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down sense I was 10 years old but I really packed it on after my thyroid failed and I became less active... that was in 2001. I went from 120 lbs to 160 lbs it seemed like almost over night. I have gained another 90 lbs sense then two or three lbs at a time.
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What an interesting and thought provoking question. It's something I've been pondering now for several days. I was lucky as a kid...I was so active and athletic I couldn't put on an ounce, literally. In my late 20's I'd taken up sailing and noticed at the end of summer I'd put on a couple of pounds....of course as soon as winter hit....it was gone. From 20 to 30 I gained about 5 pounds. It wasn't anything to worry about so I didn't. In fact, the extra couple pounds actually made me look better.

From 30 to 40 I was running my own company so wasn't getting as much exercise, more desk-bound and with the increase in income came a love affair with fine dining. While there's nothing inherently wrong with fine dining....there is when it's 4 or 5 nights a week and you're not running marathons on the weekends. By 40 I'd probably added another 10 pounds. Still not an appearance burden though....in fact, was probably about right for my 5-11 broad shouldered frame.

From 40 to 50 it was pretty much the same. I did get on a couple of different exercise kicks that lasted about a week a piece. BUT, at 55 I had a heart attack. It was minor, no damage done to speak of which I used as an excuse to not make changes in my lifestyle. I walked out of the hospital, got in my car and immediately lit up a cigarette. Everything remained pretty much the same.

A year and a half ago...I had another heart attack. This time though it was different....my heart arrested (stopped), I died. I was lucky....I got to visit the other side for about a minute and a half before being brought back. This time when I walked out of the hospital, I didn't light up another cigarette, and never will again.

During the last year and a half since...beyond quitting smoking I didn't make many other changes until a couple of months ago. It took some soul searching and baby steps, but I learned a lot. I know I have heart disease....the doctors confirmed that but that isn't/wasn't my real problem....my disease ISN'T heart-disease....IT'S MYSELF. I'M the disease. MY lifestyle and attitudes, not just about food, but I've always been an adrenalin junkie....with pretty much a fear of nothing. It was that lack of fear that let me think I was immortal and gave me license to abuse myself....it was the walk on the other side taught me, I'm not.

Someplace in there, there was an epiphany of sorts. Unconsciously I began taking my medications, when I was supposed too, then without really too much though began adding in walking, and now I'm actually watching my eating. All of it is going to be a process. I'm not going to go from dining out 4 or 5 nights a week to vegan smoothies....that simply ain't going to happen. But I will keep experimenting with food in an effort to winnow it down to those that are both better for me and I can like.

With my disease being myself, it should make it easier to find a cure so to speak....
    Good luck to us all on our journey's to health.
  • TminusFitnessN321
    TminusFitnessN321 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I started my desk job at 21. I was on my feet before then all day and was actually under weight for a while.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am 47, had gall bladder removal surgery August of 2012. I used to weigh about 155 lbs before the surgery. Since then I have taken Cholacol (Bile Extract) every day but only 1 capsule. (The directions read to take 1 capsule before every meal). I do not eat a lot- small meals or snacks during the day, with occasional fast food in there. I work at call center 40 + hours a week till midnight - so I do sit a lot, but I also have an Arabian mare, whom I go to and work out frequently either in the round pen, or riding her. I do gardening, house work, stay busy and exercise moderately on my WII fitness board. I currently weigh 188 lbs and have to wear size xlarge, and 12 in shorts- this is frightening to me because I used to be able to wear a size 7! I plan on increasing the Capsules to the 1 at every meal as directed, and exercising a bit more frequently every week, and I might start taking an enzyme and probiotic (like my mare does) to see if this benefits me in losing any weight. Note: I do not drink enough water - I am a very big coffee lover and have at least 2 cups in the morning, and one in the evening to stay awake on my long night shifts and drive home. I probably only drink 1 bottle of water a day- I just don't like water very much. I do not drink soda at all, and liquor is a big no-no when you have had your gall bladder removed but I do occasionally drink white wine. I have no idea if this has anything to do with weight gain. I feel fine except for the weight, which I don't like it at all!

This is very interesting, because I also had my gallbladder removed, and that's about when my weight started to gradually go up. I was thin my whole life before that. hmmmm....Why is alcohol a no-no after your gall bladder is removed?
  • love2b3fit
    love2b3fit Posts: 31
    Options
    I started gaining weight after I tore my ACL completely through, and my meniscus in two places. Your ACL keeps your knee together and since i didn't have one, when I would suddenly stop or do anything, my knee cap would shift forward, causing great pain. I had to have surgery and wasn't fully back to sports/exercise for about 7-8 months. And over that time I just kept eating what I wanted and not realizing that I was gaining weight until the fall came and my jeans didn't fit! Before the surgery I was varying between 140-150, now im 170!
  • Thin_Is_In_13
    Options
    I started gaining when I started teaching full time, plus working side jobs to supplement my income. I never had the time or energy to work out, and stress eating was a persistent problem! I'm trying to get better at prioritizing my health!!
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In my early 30's I got married and my husband introduced me to bacon cheeseburgers, french fries, cherry coke, and milk chocolate everything. I gained 50 lbs the first year. Last year I quit smoking and put on another 30 lbs. Almost back down to pre-quitting smoking weight now.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight in my 40's, I have always been an active person and the weight just creeped up on me. I was eating less and gaining weight but slowly enough that I really didn't notice until I saw pictures of my fatter face. I stepped on a scale and I weighed as much as I did full-term pregnant. That changed my life and I started eating better doing different exercises (I used to only run here and there) now I run, bike, swim and lift weights regularly. My body is in better shape at 50+ then it has ever been.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I was a size 5 and about 125 pounds with some minor fluctuation here and there until I was 29 years old and had my first child. I gained quite a bit, got to about 175. But, after giving birth, I lost some. I got back down to about a 9/10 at 145 or so, and I was okay with that size. I felt good and decided I had been too skinny before. At age 32, I had my second child. I had gotten huge during that pregnancy, 215 pounds. And afterwards, I didn't work hard at losing, but I did modify my eating habits, and I eventually very slowly, a couple of years later, ended up at about 175. And that's where I stayed for a few years. But, over the last few years, I have been very happy and settled in my life, happily showing my love to my family (and myself) with food, and the pounds have just piled on. 3 years ago, I found MFP, and lost 30 pounds over the course of 6 months. I felt great, and I was excited to lose more. I hit the plateau at 170 and stayed there for 6 months working my tail off exercising and counting calories. No amount of calorie switching up or down helped. I was just stuck, and I got hopping mad, and frustrated, and said, I need a break. I decided to take 2 weeks off from counting and working out. 2 weeks turned into 2 years, and I gained back that 30 pounds plus 15 more. In the past month, I've managed to drop 6 of that. I'm back counting calories, and exercising almost daily. And, I just keep telling myself, the rest of my life stuck at 170 would be better than where I am today.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    What an interesting and thought provoking question. It's something I've been pondering now for several days. I was lucky as a kid...I was so active and athletic I couldn't put on an ounce, literally. In my late 20's I'd taken up sailing and noticed at the end of summer I'd put on a couple of pounds....of course as soon as winter hit....it was gone. From 20 to 30 I gained about 5 pounds. It wasn't anything to worry about so I didn't. In fact, the extra couple pounds actually made me look better.

From 30 to 40 I was running my own company so wasn't getting as much exercise, more desk-bound and with the increase in income came a love affair with fine dining. While there's nothing inherently wrong with fine dining....there is when it's 4 or 5 nights a week and you're not running marathons on the weekends. By 40 I'd probably added another 10 pounds. Still not an appearance burden though....in fact, was probably about right for my 5-11 broad shouldered frame.

From 40 to 50 it was pretty much the same. I did get on a couple of different exercise kicks that lasted about a week a piece. BUT, at 55 I had a heart attack. It was minor, no damage done to speak of which I used as an excuse to not make changes in my lifestyle. I walked out of the hospital, got in my car and immediately lit up a cigarette. Everything remained pretty much the same.

A year and a half ago...I had another heart attack. This time though it was different....my heart arrested (stopped), I died. I was lucky....I got to visit the other side for about a minute and a half before being brought back. This time when I walked out of the hospital, I didn't light up another cigarette, and never will again.

During the last year and a half since...beyond quitting smoking I didn't make many other changes until a couple of months ago. It took some soul searching and baby steps, but I learned a lot. I know I have heart disease....the doctors confirmed that but that isn't/wasn't my real problem....my disease ISN'T heart-disease....IT'S MYSELF. I'M the disease. MY lifestyle and attitudes, not just about food, but I've always been an adrenalin junkie....with pretty much a fear of nothing. It was that lack of fear that let me think I was immortal and gave me license to abuse myself....it was the walk on the other side taught me, I'm not.

Someplace in there, there was an epiphany of sorts. Unconsciously I began taking my medications, when I was supposed too, then without really too much though began adding in walking, and now I'm actually watching my eating. All of it is going to be a process. I'm not going to go from dining out 4 or 5 nights a week to vegan smoothies....that simply ain't going to happen. But I will keep experimenting with food in an effort to winnow it down to those that are both better for me and I can like.

With my disease being myself, it should make it easier to find a cure so to speak....
    Good luck to us all on our journey's to health.

Quite the experience! Glad you're still here. :flowerforyou:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Was underweight as a child and for most of my teens.

Started gaining quite a bit as a result of the depressive phases of a mood disorder, but gained a lot more because of the medication used to treat said disorder.

That, and my sincere and enduring love of pies.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was molested when I was 7 and I noticed the weight really starting to catch me up the next school year. It wasn't a ton, but it was enough that I noticed and felt uncomfortable by it. Once junior high hit, so did my depression and my weight upped. High school I had PCOS but didn't know it until i was diagnosed 2 years ago. and so that helped up the weight. Then 5 years ago I got married and have since gained 35 lbs. :P Time to work my butt off.
  • no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I gained weight throughout my teens by having a pizza/Xbox lifestyle. I went from 190 in 8th grade to 280 by the time I was 19.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    re-injured IT band running in saint lucia
  • enjolrasbarricade
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight in-patient. Expected but disappointing.
  • ioannaheartsyou97
    ioannaheartsyou97 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stopped growing shortly after I entered puberty, and I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight without getting taller (obviously my body was still rapidly changing, I don't know what was wrong with me to think that was bad), then my parents separated and I felt like my whole life was sort of spiralling out of control, so trying to get my weight down by not eating was somehow my solution. About a month later, eating 500 calories a day, I realised that I was becoming anorexic and decided to stop counting calories and just put the whole thing out of my mind. I started gaining weight again.
    About a year later, I started really stressing out about school; somehow the only breaks from work I could find within my day were when I was eating, so that's what I kept doing. I started gaining weight, but I kept telling myself that if I started counting calories again, I'd spiral as I did the first time. I also told myself that there were so many things I was worried about, I couldn't worry about what I ate as well.
    Came to my senses just recently.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight after I got really depressed when my mom died ( was on antidepressants - not sure if that is a cause or not but I know if it was a contributor it wasn't the only thing - my crummy diet was a big problem) and then before I was diagnosed with narcolepsy I was drinking a lot of coca cola every day to keep going (like 8 cans at one point til I went on my meds). Once I got heavy, I got more lazy about my diet and went for take out most night (when what I would prefer is a nice veggie plate - which is my go to dinner now instead of mcd's). I was underweight when I was 21 (my freshman 15 was a 15 lb loss because the food was so gross) and then by the time I was 30 I was at the very top weight for "normal" at my height. I gained a lot since I started my current job (50+ lbs in 6 years) because the job makes me super depressed and I eat when I am depressed (mainly I am too lazy to spend time to make something healthy - I used to eat take out almost every day). So I would say late 20s-early 40s is my big gain time.