Breakfast cereals?

Options
IsaackGMOON
IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
I've been looking for some breakfast cereals which have a good amount of fibre to keep me full, any suggestions? I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fiber One has some fiber. Doesn't work for me though.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like frosted mini wheats (6g fiber per serving). I'll have a banana in it with unsweetened almond milk. It keeps me full.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I personally love fiber one cereals. There are so many different flavors. Kashi make some good ones too.
  • sitnomore
    sitnomore Posts: 2
    Options
    Grape Nuts have about the most fiber
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sugar and free carbs will make you hungry in an hour or two. I think there is no cereal other than All-Bran that will give you enough fiber to counteract the high-carb impact on appetite.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I really love raisin bran with a banana. Got me through early college mornings and I still often eat it!
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Best breakfast ever, keeps you full all morning:

Refrigerator Oatmeal

The night before put 1/3 cup of uncooked rolled oats in a bowl
    1/3 cup of Stonyfield Low-fat Vanilla Yogurt
    1/3 cup Plain unsweetened Almond Milk (really you can use whatever kind of milk you like)
    Add some frozen fruit (Blueberries are my fav),
    nuts, seeds, flax meal, chia (any adition you want or none at all)

Mix together, you can add a little honey or sweetener if you want, I don't, the yogurt covers the sweetness. Cover the bowl and breakfast will be ready in the morning.

I make a big batch on Sunday night, put it in jelly jars and it's goo for the week. Yaaaa, No Cooking!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bran flakes
  • nrotr
    nrotr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Uncle Sams has a ton of fiber. Its pretty good but I do jazz it up with some fruit.
  • foofyq
    foofyq Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts are my all time favorite, and they have a small amount of sugar which is great. 5g of sugar (most cereals have at least double that) and 7g of fiber.
  • busyemm
    busyemm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All bran works for me.
    A half cup serving has 90 calories and a whopping 12 g of fibre. My local store brand is cheaper and has the approx same breakdown for calories and fat. I eat it with low fat plain or Greek yogurt with either fresh fruit or berries every day for breakfast. Yum.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to have a bowl of Fiber One cereal every morning. It did a great job with keeping me regular, but unfortunately did not fill me up. Now I eat a more substantial breakfast - bagel & cream cheese or ham, egg & cheese sandwich, and I try to get more fiber in during lunch and dinner.

ETA: Sometimes I'll eat the Fiber One chocolate cereal as an afternoon snack. Takes care of my chocolate craving and has added fiber for only 80 calories per serving.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts have about the most fiber

My recommendation too.

While they are fantastic for fiber, I almost broke a tooth chewing those things. Instead I now microwave it w/ almond milk and raisins. I think there is a muffin recipe using Grapenuts too. You could also mix them in with another cereal.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast:The Least Important Meal of the Day"

Read it and learn something.

If you are fat and love breakfast you will be fat FOREVER!!
    Not true. Eat breakfast if it suits you. I was fat and I loved breakfast and now I'm normal bmi and I still love and eat a breakfast of 300-400 calories everyday.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

Not true. Eat breakfast if it suits you. I was fat and I loved breakfast and now I'm normal bmi and I still love and eat a breakfast of 300-400 calories everyday.

Agree. Not true. I eat a breakfast of 400-500 calories a day and have no problem maintaining. Additionally, I've started to lose another five pounds and eat the same breakfast. I'm losing at the rate I determined I wanted to lose at.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    P.S. I used to eat Fiber One original until I got sick of it. Now I eat oatmeal with Flax, plus an ounce of nuts, 1/4 c skim milk, a banana, and some protein powder.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I don't generally have breakfast that much due to me following a 16/8 intermittent fasting protocol; but I can see it coming towards an end quite soon.

Also, breakfast doesn't make you fat - you eat it whether you like it or not. Does eating lunch or dinner make you fat too?

I think I'll try and find some bran flakes with no added sugar or some shredded wheat with no sugar. Thanks for the recommendations guys! I looked for FiberOne, but I don't think it's available in the UK :(
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not. It's entirely up to the individual. If you're watching your calorie intake then there's no problem if you eat it or not.

Personally I am a big fan of breakfast and generally wake up with an appetite.

As for cereals most of them are pretty rubbish. Cornflakes is utilising a corn waste product which was sold for 'health reasons' (back in the day Kellog's had a religious/health farm and this is what they were given to eat). Before they mixed it with sugar they were meant to be really rough tasting - probably like hamster food. Once the sugar was added there was suddenly a reason to mass market the product...you know the rest.

Anyway - there is barely any cereal out there without added sugar. Kallo do rice puffs without sugar (be warned they do taste quite different to Rice Krispies). There's also a brand in the UK called Rude Health and they do cereals without refined sugar added. The reason I'm picking on the sugar aspect is because of the vast amounts added in the manufacturing of the cereal, the fact that it peaks your blood sugar levels which then leads to premature hunger. I couldn't eat processed cereal without needing a snack before lunch.

How about things like porridge? Or looking at some high protein, high fibre breakfasts to keep you satiated? Wholemeal toast? Eggs? Mmm....it's currently my breakfast time...

As people have mentioned All Bran has the highest fibre - however is loaded with salt.

From my reading over the years - your best bets with known cereals are Shredded Wheat and Weetabix just for lack of salt and sugar and the fibre content should be okay too.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Special K Protein with fresh blueberries or blackberries and almond/cocounut blend milk. Pretty tasty. 10 g protein can't hurt. Keeps me full for hours. I am one who eats something about every 3 hours, so this keeps me going until I ahve a hard boiled egg or a 100 calorie pack of almonds. I was eating steel cut oatmeal every day, but it was fairly high in calories.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

I was fat and I love breakfast. Eat it every day.