Surprises on the food scale.

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    After 10 years of WW and two of MFP, I'm pretty accurate about portion sizes. I still use the scale to double check, but I'm usually right about what I thought.
  • Syrupcity67
    Syrupcity67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    GRANOLA! Before I started weighing my food I would eat a bowl of granola with pouring yoghurt. Well, I measured out a serving..45g or something crazy and figured out that the day before I had consumed like 2000 calories in cereal :sad: . Will never eat it again.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Meats, cereal, and chips were all happy surprises. Candy and jams or jellies were disappointing. But having a. Scale is so much easier. No more under or overeating by mistake.

Update: I saw a mention of cheese. OMG, I never knew there was that much cheese in an ounce. I shirted myself so many times.

Edited for update.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was pretty spot on with eyeballing my meats, but my big surprise was vegetables. The database and I strongly disagree on what a medium sweet potato looks like.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what really surprises me is serving sizes. Some times WAY more than you'd wanna eat (a TBS of balsamic glaze? Way too much even on a giant dinner salad!)

really? because I easily use at least 2 tablespoons for a full salad. One for just my own salad. I don't find it goes that far if you are using a lot of lettuce- less lettuce- less issue- but I don't really find dressing goes that far- and I LOVE me some balaslamic vinaigrette.
    Update: I saw a mention of cheese. OMG, I never knew there was that much cheese in an ounce. I shirted myself so many times.
    that much in an ounce??

did I miss read that- when i weighed out my first ounce of cheese I almost cried, as a lover of sharp chedder- an ounce just makes me epically sad.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what really surprises me is serving sizes. Some times WAY more than you'd wanna eat (a TBS of balsamic glaze? Way too much even on a giant dinner salad!)

really? because I easily use at least 2 tablespoons for a full salad. One for just my own salad. I don't find it goes that far if you are using a lot of lettuce- less lettuce- less issue- but I don't really find dressing goes that far- and I LOVE me some balaslamic vinaigrette.
    that much in an ounce??

did I miss read that- when i weighed out my first ounce of cheese I almost cried, as a lover of sharp chedder- an ounce just makes me epically sad.

Agreed on the cheese part. I can easily put 3 ounces of sharp cheddar on a paper plate serving of nachos.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any packaged food. Typically heavier than one serving.
    M&Ms. I weighed half an ounce yesterday... wow, what a joke.
    Pasta. I'll never ever be satisfied with one serving, unless it's a side dish.
    Potatoes. One serving (148g) is tiny.
    One serving of cheese is tiny.
    One serving of spreadable stuff (nut butter, nutella, cream cheese) is HUGE. Except jam... that's about right.
    One serving of veggies is tiny. 3 heads of broccoli and you're already at 80g.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    For the cheese people, get some good quality cheddar and grate on the finest bit of the grater. It goes much further! If you cut cheese in chunks, then yes, that's a sad state of affairs.
  • blue_hydrangea
    Options
    Any packaged food. Typically heavier than one serving.
    M&Ms. I weighed half an ounce yesterday... wow, what a joke.
    Pasta. I'll never ever be satisfied with one serving, unless it's a side dish.
    Potatoes. One serving (148g) is tiny.
    One serving of cheese is tiny.
    One serving of spreadable stuff (nut butter, nutella, cream cheese) is HUGE. Except jam... that's about right.
    One serving of veggies is tiny. 3 heads of broccoli and you're already at 80g.

tumblr_n5j8xzmLV81tv4k5po1_400.gif

One serving of nut butter is huge???? I think we must have different versions of huge....
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I weigh food it weighs a bit more than the stated weight on the package. A few times the food has weighed exactly what it was supposed to weigh. And only ONE time out of the literally hundreds of times I have weighed food has the food actually weighed less than it was supposed to weigh. Now that I know this, it really doesn't surprise me that the majority of Americans have a weight problem.

The better part of a decade ago I worked in the bakery of a grocery store. The manager would always make sure to let us know that we were to weigh things out and then put a little extra to make sure it went over the weight. Things such as doughnuts were made slightly larger (but not much) then labeled since there isn't really a way to put "a little extra" of a doughnut in a package. The reason was that they could get in legal trouble with the Department of Weights and Measures if it was any less than the package stated so it was better to go over a little than take a chance on being under. This was in Vermont but I would think that the same holds true for all states.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'v'e only recently started to almost exclusively use my scale vs. measuring things. In the negative side, nut servings and banans are too small! Pouting. But some nice surprises are bread (I tend to buy from individual bakeries instead of sandwich bread at the supermarket), certain crumbled cheeses, bacon (woot woot) and oatmeal.

Nuts servings ARE disappointing! :) I agree with the bread, I also buy from bakeries, and was very happy with the serving sizes once weighed.

Ahh....nuts...makes me want to cry! I know walnuts are good for you but....for 8 grams of walnuts (barely a tbsp. if I remember correctly) is 50 calories!
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm still upset about bananas. I mean, so many calories!! Well, not really, but one "normal" banana can weigh upwards of 150 grams.

This. I weigh my bananas now and I was very surprised when I started doing that. I was seriously underestimating the calories in a banana. Now, I realize that it is just about 1 KCAL per gram!