Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Venting about Calorie Intake...Weekend Binges!

2»

Replies

• Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    On Friday's are normally when I have a cheat meal and sometimes it gets so outta hand that I don't log it at all. But yes I normally log on Friday-Sunday
    OP, are you still logging on the weekends? If you are, then you can keep an eye on your weekly calorie goal, and see if you have room for those extra weekend indulgences.
  • Allup2Me78
    Currently at 1400 myself and trying to stick to that for a while to see how that helps. I will not be eating back exercise calories though.
    I'm another "shortie." It's hard to build up a big calorie deficit when we small people require fewer calories to begin with. So I hear you.

I plan for snacks. Snacks keep me on course. Snacks (and coffee) keep my brain functioning.

Protein + Produce = Snack. I avoid processed carbs, which for me tend to increase my appetite for--yup--more carbs.

I try to keep breakfast and lunch to about 300 calories each, snacks to a total of 300 calories. That leaves me with 300-800 calories for dinner, depending on how much exercise I get.

Also, this is a game of averages, so if I've kept up a good deficit during the week, if there's a party or church potluck on the weekend, I don't sweat it too much. I just try to avoid obvious calorie bombs and excess alcohol. And maybe I'll treat myself to an extra half-hour on my Sunday beach walk.

BTW, I also have the best results staying around 1400 calories, maybe 1600-1700 on a Slack Day.
  • awomaninsane
    awomaninsane Posts: 75 Member
    On Friday's are normally when I have a cheat meal and sometimes it gets so outta hand that I don't log it at all. But yes I normally log on Friday-Sunday
    OP, are you still logging on the weekends? If you are, then you can keep an eye on your weekly calorie goal, and see if you have room for those extra weekend indulgences.

Perhaps if you did log your meals at the weekend, especially the ones that got out of hand, and you could actually see the amount of calories you've consumed it might make you think twice about it doing it next time?
    I know for me that has certainly helped as i've thought 400 calories for some wasabi coated peanuts?? Whaaat? No way are they worth that!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Two days out of control on the weekend can easily outstrip any deficit you had during the week. I would recommend keeping your calories consistent seven days a week. If you feel you just can't do that, take a few weekends to strictly and accurately track your eating all 7 days and see if you aren't out-eating your deficit by letting yourself "cheat" on the weekend. You may find you're eating way more calories than you think.
  • Allup2Me78
    I know it would make me think twice. I have done it a few times. I was like YIKES!!!

Perhaps if you did log your meals at the weekend, especially the ones that got out of hand, and you could actually see the amount of calories you've consumed it might make you think twice about it doing it next time?
    I know for me that has certainly helped as i've thought 400 calories for some wasabi coated peanuts?? Whaaat? No way are they worth that!
  • jayana23
    jayana23 Posts: 6
    Im also guilty of this weekend sabotage, wahhh! I convince myself that I earned one cheating day at the end of the week and end up cheating the whole weekend, boom my whole week is off track now. Monday comes around time to start all over...
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    If you're not losing perhaps cutting out the cheat meals/days is the best place to start.
    Basically, I am NOT losing at all. So my whole point was that I am needing to find a balance. I am scared to eat more during the week and then I feel as if I won't be able to splurge more on the weekends or have a cheat meal. I really just need to learn that if is not in my calorie range, I can not have it. Period..but again, I have to find a good calorie range for myself
  • Allup2Me78
    Easier said that done. It's very hard but I am asking myself now what is more important so yes..I need to surely do something asap.
    If you're not losing perhaps cutting out the cheat meals/days is the best place to start.
    Basically, I am NOT losing at all. So my whole point was that I am needing to find a balance. I am scared to eat more during the week and then I feel as if I won't be able to splurge more on the weekends or have a cheat meal. I really just need to learn that if is not in my calorie range, I can not have it. Period..but again, I have to find a good calorie range for myself
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Easier said that done. It's very hard but I am asking myself now what is more important so yes..I need to surely do something asap.

It isn't easier said than done if you're serious. You keep trying to rationalize behavior that you know isn't working for you. Not losing is not a result of being short ... it is a result of your eating habits. Rant away at people who pose questions that could point towards the issue and keep making excuses if you want to remain at (or above) your current weight. The other option is to address the issue head on even if it isn't what you want to hear.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    To be fair, she does sound like she's ready to make a change. Allup2me, it's all up to you now! :) You can do it.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks! :)
    To be fair, she does sound like she's ready to make a change. Allup2me, it's all up to you now! :) You can do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Inconsistency is why people who diet throughout the week, gain it back on the weekend and fail. Times change, but people don't is an old saying and for decades now. People see the weekends as time to relax.....................................on everything. Unfortunately your body physiology doesn't know what day it is and just responds to what and how much you consume. How do leaner people stay lean all the time? There's no secret......................they pretty much eat the same amount and same way almost all the time including weekends.
    Weekends are where your issue is. Fix it there and you should succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Sorry but I don't see the readiness for change. The OP admits to following neither TDEE-20% or MFP's guidelines and her posts indicate a desire to continuing splurges in spite of the clear evidence that those weekend splurges turn to binges that impede her weight loss. The status quo isn't helping but the OP attempts to rationalize it from the first post and repeats those desires throughout. If consistency truly is the key as stated early in this thread, the OP needs to put it into practice.
  • Allup2Me78
    agreed! thanks bunches :)
    Inconsistency is why people who diet throughout the week, gain it back on the weekend and fail. Times change, but people don't is an old saying and for decades now. People see the weekends as time to relax.....................................on everything. Unfortunately your body physiology doesn't know what day it is and just responds to what and how much you consume. How do leaner people stay lean all the time? There's no secret......................they pretty much eat the same amount and same way almost all the time including weekends.
    Weekends are where your issue is. Fix it there and you should succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Allup2Me78
    I have also decided to change my weigh in days from Fri to Mon so that way I can hold myself more accountable over the weekends knowing that I weigh in on Monday morning! ;)