How do i break the insane obsession with food??

Options

Replies

• ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the walk!!! Be proud of yourself for posting and asking for help. I am happy that you lost weight on OA. I know how you feel and can tell you that you can break the insane obsession.

What I heard from the first part of your post was failure and doomed.
    I just accept the fact that I have to overeat, that it's hopeless to try and I can't be successful. I hate being so fateful about my situation but I do know that I have chronically failed in the past.

Recently I read an article about a new addiction program and I have to agree with them. Yes, 12-step programs have help millions and is valuable. However, science is teaching us new methods. My research into the brain and psychology caused a conflict with the help I sought from OA. "We are powerless."

NO, you are not powerless! You are not doomed to failure. Your brain can actually lie to you. Question your own thoughts. Change or reduce your negative thoughts. Dr. Daniel Amen refers to them as ANTs - Automatic Negative Thoughts.

That is how I broke the insane obsession along with good nutrition and exercise.

Your walk is the solution. Because it was a brisk walk, your insight came from brain-derived neurotrophic factor BDNF or as Dr. John Ratey calls it Miracle Grow for the brain.

When you said you are lethargic, I thought of how I feel after eating a poor nutrition binge. Instead of giving in to the chemical de-motivation of poor food, fight it with exercise or good nutrition. Think of yourself as a Super Hero battling the evils of a villain who has invaded your mind and body.

Start recording in your notes, all of the things you are proud of. "I threw out half a cookie." I can't tell your how hard it is for me to throw out food and when I do, I am so extremely proud of myself. Every day write down 3 things that your are proud of. Whenever you are feeling down, go back through and read all of your positive comments.

Good luck and feel free to friend me.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that until I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression and treated for it. Eating increases serotonin levels in the brain, which in turn makes you feel good. If you have a chemical imbalance going on, that might be the reason for your food-centric mind set.

Just a thought. Best wishes to you!
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    food is what gives you pleasure in life from what you said, it fullfills you, why not replace this passion with something that have nothing to do with food.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/

This book is not for dieting, but it is a thoroughly researched, excellently written journey through what is habit, why it is habit and includes a lot of myth-shattering concepts of habits. I recommend this thoroughly. Read it, read it again. mark pages that provide insight into your own journey. You will find them.

Did you know that a routine you do everyday, even if it is complex and requires steps, cognitive reasoning and analysis, takes less of your active thought than a new, simple task? It's a part of the foundation of habit. Routine. You probably should explore WHAT helped you form these habits, and what helps perpetuate them to be sure. But that may not be as easy to do after 35 years. However, you can begin to get a solid grasp on the way you ease into your habit, and that it actually seems like you in/out cycle of motivation is also a habit.

Hope this helps.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    No one and I mean NO ONE could be more obsessed with food than me.. I live it, dream it, obsess about it, cook it, entertain like a maniac with it, watch tv about it, read about it ...........but these days it is good food. Make yourself a healthy food expert. Read about it, plan it, shop for it, cook it. Yes, all that prep is a great help, and the better the food the less you need. Chop endless veg for stir fries, cook slimming curries as hot as you can bear, use spices and herbs to make your food delicious!
    I have lost weight several times before and put it all back and more. This time I am two years down the line and still at target. I exercise a lot. You are on the right track with your walking - that will make you feel good about yourself. But you can still be a food bore and an obsessive - I most definitely am - and slowly lose the weight. Make good, healthy eating a project and a hobby.
    And yes, log everything. Everything. Always.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's an addiction... I'd be willing to bet that an ex-alcoholic will tell you they think about drinking all the time and often times one decision away from picking up a bottle. I believe in the end it's embracing your struggle and make it work for you. Refocus that energy in positive ways for you.

I enjoy food... it's a fact. However I had to take a long hard look at what I was eating. Yes I do like "healthy" foods but they would often times be drowned out by all the bad stuff or I would ruin the benefits by the way I prepared the food (i.e. frying)

I've had to re-learn what and how to eat. Your body is an ecosystem and it's only as good as the nutrients you put in it. I now enjoy the challenge of creating meals that promote good health. I'm also starting to loose the taste for many of the "foods" provide no significant nutritional value. (I still have a weakness for hot wings :wink: )

Would you put vegetable oil in a car that is designed for gasoline? Of course not... Will it start? Probably but watch how much it struggles to perform at its designed level. That is what our bodies do when we eat what we were not designed to ingest. Weight gain, lethargy, aches, and pains, high blood pressure, diabetes, and the list goes on.

What it boils down to is learn about yourself and play to those strengths. Don't be afraid to step out and try new things whether it's a food or activity. Most of all be patient and have fun! The rest will work itself out.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No one and I mean NO ONE could be more obsessed with food than me.. I live it, dream it, obsess about it, cook it, entertain like a maniac with it, watch tv about it, read about it ...........but these days it is good food. Make yourself a healthy food expert. Read about it, plan it, shop for it, cook it. Yes, all that prep is a great help, and the better the food the less you need. Chop endless veg for stir fries, cook slimming curries as hot as you can bear, use spices and herbs to make your food delicious!
    I have lost weight several times before and put it all back and more. This time I am two years down the line and still at target. I exercise a lot. You are on the right track with your walking - that will make you feel good about yourself. But you can still be a food bore and an obsessive - I most definitely am - and slowly lose the weight. Make good, healthy eating a project and a hobby.
    And yes, log everything. Everything. Always.

I completely agree. Logging has change everything for me!
  • ForeverWest
    Options
    The alarm on my iPhone says "Managing chronic diseases leaves money for other important things." Truer words were never spoken. Just a little about my story....About 15 months ago, I was diagnosed with celiac disease and I had to stop eating all gluten. It completely changed my relationship with food for the better. I lost 30 pounds and I no longer have terrible joint pain. As a result of the weight loss, I am off my blood pressure meds and my blood work is excellent. My triglycerides were terrible!

My joint pain was so bad that if I walked for 4 hours around NYC, I had to ice down my calves and my feet before I could continue. I now regularly walk an hour a day and have no pain. And my trips to NYC are way more fun!

As for my quote at the top, I have so much more disposable income because I am not constantly handing over a co-pay to a doctor. I actually have $$ to go out and enjoy my life and I can be very active now. Try to focus on the quality of your life instead of food.
  • KimbaCan
    KimbaCan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness you are speaking my language!
    I don't think there's anything else in the world that has brought me as much comfort as food. It's been here my whole life...
    Well... you know the story.
    All day I've been freaking out and feeling bad, kinda hopeless and miserable because I've been hating myself for the way I've been eating, yet hate the idea of giving it up. I didn't have a good thing to say until I started reading this thread.
    Suddenly, as I read, all sorts of inspirational ideas resonate.
    One thing that I don't think has been said:
    When I quit smoking I heard that you are more likely to succeed the more times you try. If you quit and start up again, you are more likely to be successful the next time.
    This gave me tremendous relief and freedom to try and fail again and again.
    Each time I would learn more and try new ways. I don't know why I didn't think of that in regards to eating.

Thanks for sharing!
    Anyone in this thread is welcome to friend request me. I'll do what I can to be supportive, or I'll be a good example of what not to do, one or the other :/
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some great posts. I really appreciate all the feedback. I particularly like the suggestions about posting even on bad days. I have to admit that if I start out with a healthy breakfast but lose it at lunch and then of course dinner, I wouldn't log those days. I'm going back to log my binge day just to see how bad it was. I don't know who I think I'm fooling by not logging the binge days.

Thanks everybody!!!

Good for you!! I don't know how many times I think I have blown the day, and don't want to log it, then when I enter my food I realize I didn't even go over my cals. Or perhaps I just went 100 over, and still have a deficit. Logging it all, good and bad, gives you an honest picture. You may not be perfect, but you can see progress!
  • monicamorton
    monicamorton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :)
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went back and added my binge day Friday. 2 meals and 1 snack added up to about 4500 calories. Whew! But, I'm following your advice and logging the bad with the good. No sense trying to delude myself!
  • bybyadipocytes
    bybyadipocytes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do understand. I disagree with some experts and for me it is all or nothing. I can not eat a small taste os something, especially if it is the house. So I try to be on the nothing long enough to get rid of it. I am really trying to give up wheat. Hard. I find protein helps. Protein as soon as possible in the morning sets a good start.

^ I am an all or nothing type as well. It is good to know that and just abstain.

I also have cut out grains and protein is great but don't skimp on the unsaturated fats, they really are satiating and healthy.
  • ajw6111
    ajw6111 Posts: 1
    Options
    So much good advice - Its nice to know i'm not alone and so many people have such great stories and advice
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some great posts. I really appreciate all the feedback. I particularly like the suggestions about posting even on bad days. I have to admit that if I start out with a healthy breakfast but lose it at lunch and then of course dinner, I wouldn't log those days. I'm going back to log my binge day just to see how bad it was. I don't know who I think I'm fooling by not logging the binge days.

Thanks everybody!!!

You definitely need to be honest with yourself, to keep things on track. That means recording everything you're eating every single day, no matter if you blow your calorie count or not. Eventually it syncs in, how much you're eating, and a little switch goes off in your brain and says I really don't need to clean this plate, or go for a second helping.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight is one of the hardest things there is. Don't give up. Each day is an achievement. Posting all days is really important , it may help you see triggers or patterns or even just see more good than bad days. I obsess about food. I even joke it talks to me. For me good sleep and being in a good place helps me control food intake. What do you need most?we're with you
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Yesterday I had a terrible binge day although most of my days are binge days. I don't hate myself for them. I just accept the fact that I have to overeat, that it's hopeless to try and I can't be successful. I hate being so fateful about my situation but I do know that I have chronically failed in the past.

I'm not normal. I know that most people don't anticipate meals that way. I accept that. The question is...how do i break this obsession and give myself the opportunity to live a healthy lifestyle and not die from a massive coronary before I'm 60?

Motivation isn't doing it for me. Knowledge isn't doing it for me. I obsess over food. Is it possible to stop?
    I sympathise. I'm a binge eater, lost 40kg with FA (like OA), then regained it. Yesterday I planned dessert before I even got out of bed! I remember talking to an FA member who had fallen off the wagon and spent 2 years trying to get abstinent again. I thought that was amazing, she kept going to the meetings and every day she tried and never gave up. Some days are better than others but don't give up. Celebrate the small successes, like walking even though you were in pain, but don't give up. It's progress not perfection - just don't give up.
  • premneote
    premneote Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge comfort eater. This is what brought me from 135lbs to 225lbs within 5 years. I've successfully busted the habit by doing two things:

- performing cardiovascular activities everyday for 30 mins at least
    - going through therapy (counseling) to tackle the root cause of my comfort eating
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me up until 2 yrs ago. I was medicating with food in order to deal with everyday life. My first waking thoughts were of food. I needed to preload on pleasure to start my day right. All meals had to be extremely rich and tasty, full of textures and flavor. Having a bad meal or one that didn't satisfy the pleasure center was annoying because it meant I would be seeking another meal shortly even though I might have been stuffed. Like a functional alcoholic my eating was the highest priority in my day. I was deluding myself saying that I was a foodie since I rarely purchased junk food and cooked most of my food. I routinely made my own sushi, pho, fresh rolls and stir frys. I didn't feel excessively depressed or stressed out, but then again why would I? I was constantly on a food high. But I began to notice that my 7 yr old was beginning to become entirely too focused on food. I went to my priest to have a discussion about my gluttony....I do not shy away from that word anymore. We talked about the root causes of my gluttony most specifically my pride and poor self esteem. I never really loved myself as God loves me. I felt a bit cheated in fact. Out of 6 children I was the only obese one. I was given a marvelous functioning body but all I saw were flaws. I started hoarding and sneaking food during my parents bitter divorce and it just blossomed from there. Finally at the age of 43 I fell in love with me as an obese woman. I began to talk to myself with kindness and appreciate the body I have. Since that very moment food became not that important. I stopped going to parties just to anchor myself at the buffet. I stopped planning huge family meals at holidays. I started to serve myself the same portions everyone else was eating and stopped going back for more. I started editing trigger foods out of my life. I am still rather stunned by all of the pleasures I passed up just because I was obsessed with food not to mention putting my health at risk when I have a child and husband depending on me. My obsession now is healthy food to take care of the temple given to me. It is funny how much attention and time I poured into food which doesn't love you back. God was always there for me but I chose to worship food. Everyday life for me still holds the same old stressors but I start my day with prayer, a 15 min walk and a sensible breakfast. I have left my food prison. I always had the key I just had to choose to leave. You will break your obsession with food when you choose you over food. God bless. I will say a prayer to St Maximilian Kolbe to assist you with your addiction.
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That is some very relateable stuff. You made the comment that you didn't feel stressed out because you were medicating with food. I don't feel stressed most of the time, so I'll have to see if not medicating with food allows some stresses and problems manifest themselves in my life. That's a great point and I appreciate your feedback on that.

I hear what you're saying about food having to be full of flavor, textures etc. I know that when I'm truly hungry, I don't have to have food that is so rich and flavorful. I guess that food would have to be more appealing when I never let true hunger occur.

I do know that I have a sense of entitlement about food. I have to have the best of everything. I always have to have an appetizer. It's usually one of the most expensive items on the menu. I preplan, anticipate and look forward to meals unlike anyone I know.

It's going to be a tough pattern to break, but I"m here for today.

Thanks!