Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners are fine. I drink a lot of Pepsi Max and that's bad because of the caffeine. A little caffeine is fine but I take in waaaay too much of it.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I have one with meals, the carbonation helps with fullness imo. Rest of the time its water or water + bcaa.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    yayyyy
  • queenofthrones
    Options
    Personally for me they're a yay. I think like a lot of other people have said you've just got to have everything in moderation and while they might not necessarily be good for you I don't think they cause weight gain - unless you're drinking a ton of them very often as that would slow down your metabolism I hear.
  • devotedhufflepuff
    Options
    Absolute nay. Diet soda is very acidic and breaks down the enamel on your teeth. The cans are also lined with BPA. They may be small things but they matter to me. I don't think diet soda causes obesity but I do they are linked. We are all entitled to our own opinions and I respect each individuals personal choice to drink or not to drink soda in any form.

If you feel like carbonation helps you feel fuller longer why not try flavored water with bubbles? My nephews drink it like it's going out of style.
  • Chellybell13
    Chellybell13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whuh?
    It doesn't make you gain weight. People may believe that it makes them crave x/y/z all they want but weather or not you cave is down to the individual. Not the soda!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Nay.

yuck.gif
  • devotedhufflepuff
    Options
    Buffy doesn't lie.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nay Nay Nay. Artificial sweeteners are banned in many places for a reason. The amount of diseases, such as diabetes, that aren't caused from calories but chemicals and sweeteners. Plus anything can say "No Calories" but it doesn't mean that there's not still things in it that don't cause weight gain. To the ones saying it doesn't cause them to gain weight, what else do you eat and how active are you? That also makes a difference.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is a yay as long as there is no aspartame in it. And that is just personal preference. We dieters who want a sweet something are happy to have a calorie free option. Then again all things in moderation.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Absolute nay. Diet soda is very acidic and breaks down the enamel on your teeth. The cans are also lined with BPA. They may be small things but they matter to me. I don't think diet soda causes obesity but I do they are linked. We are all entitled to our own opinions and I respect each individuals personal choice to drink or not to drink soda in any form.

If you feel like carbonation helps you feel fuller longer why not try flavored water with bubbles? My nephews drink it like it's going out of style.

ALL soda erodes the enamel of your teeth, not just diet soda.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is a yay as long as there is no aspartame in it. And that is just personal preference. We dieters who want a sweet something are happy to have a calorie free option. Then again all things in moderation.

Yep, generally a YAY for me, too. I'm finding the Splenda sweetened diet pops tastier than my normal Diet Pepsi. And, the "carbonated bloat" can be a help, like when I have keep an "indulgent" day from turning into an all out "off the rails" calorie fest.

Kept me feeling full, and away from the last two slices of pizza (of which I already ate SIX pieces, ugh). Bubbly nastiness and "evil" sweetness, to the rescue. Fill me up and make me "full" PLEASE.
  • Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have seen a a study that found that people who drink diet soda are not any healthier then people who drink regular soda. There could be a variety of factors that cause this.

1. Really healthy people don't drink soda
    2. Diet soda may make you hungry and then you eat a bunch of pretzels or something.
    3. The 0 calorie sweetener may be effecting our bodies in a way that we don't fully understand yet.
    4. The study could have showed a false positive.

All that said, Yay. Soda ranks among my favorite foods, I would be hard pressed to give it up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Diet soda is about average as far as acidity goes. Strawberries, lemons, oranges, tomatoes, and grapefruits are all more likely to break down the enamel on your teeth, as they spend more time in contact with your teeth. Then again, we invented toothbrushes and toothpaste for a reason.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have seen a a study that found that people who drink diet soda are not any healthier then people who drink regular soda. There could be a variety of factors that cause this.

1. Really healthy people don't drink soda
    2. Diet soda may make you hungry and then you eat a bunch of pretzels or something.
    3. The 0 calorie sweetener may be effecting our bodies in a way that we don't fully understand yet.
    4. The study could have showed a false positive.

All that said, Yay. Soda ranks among my favorite foods, I would be hard pressed to give it up.
    1. False. Plenty of healthy people drink soda regularly.
    2. False.
    3. No evidence of this, either, after over 60 years of study, we know exactly how it affects the body.
    4. That's why a solitary study is meaningless.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Nay Nay Nay. Artificial sweeteners are banned in many places for a reason.

Like where?
    The amount of diseases, such as diabetes, that aren't caused from calories but chemicals and sweeteners.

News to me, also news to the medical community.
    Plus anything can say "No Calories" but it doesn't mean that there's not still things in it that don't cause weight gain.

Actually that is exactly what that means.
    To the ones saying it doesn't cause them to gain weight, what else do you eat and how active are you? That also makes a difference.

Calories in calories out makes the difference. Diet soda having effectively zero calories has no bearing on that whatsoever.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

My opinion is that its a mathematical impossibility for something with zero calories to cause weight gain over any time frame.

Sure, not as healthy as water. But what is?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I can't drink carbonated water, hence no soda or sparkling water for me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

My opinion is that its a mathematical impossibility for something with zero calories to cause weight gain over any time frame.

Sure, not as healthy as water. But what is?

Not to pick on you but I really do wonder what some people's definition of healthy is. I notice this claim all the time that nothing is as healthy as water. Water of course being zero sum, basically nothing at all in it. So the implication seems to be that the healthiest possible thing you can ingest is nothing.

So, for example, is something like orange juice less healthy than water? Why? Because it has calories? Are calories now unhealthy?

This "water is the be all end all" attitude is just weird to me. Water is fine, its good for hydration but then again so is anything that contains water and not massive amounts of diuretics.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Soda, diet or otherwise, is more like that of a treat, like a desert if you will, for me. If I am going to drink something, I'd rather drink water anyway - why take on calories that do nothing for you? Diet Soda, IMO, tastes awful - in that case I'd rather chew gum or have a tic tac.

But when I do drink a Coke, it better damn well have an ounce or two of Captain topped with a lime.

Umm....diet soda has no calories.