To GMO or Non-GMO

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    GMOs may factor into general nutrition but have no real effect on weight loss... Lots of theories out there. If what you are doing is working for you, keep doing that... Balance in all things.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Then go after THEM, not GMOs. That is all I am saying. Anyways, I keep trying to bow out and fail to do so, maybe I will just look away for a bit. Cheers.

One more thing from me, too, then I'm done. By the way, I do suggest we go after them and sweep every politician who takes corporate money and every lobbyist out.

But do you know what will really strike the death blow to this research? If failure to regulate ever results in deaths and people figure out GMOs caused the deaths. I certainly wouldn't advocate covering up the cause of those deaths, I hope you wouldn't either. Regardless, if it ever happens, it will make what happened to stem cell research look like a minor setback.

I think you are confusing food regulations with nutritional/dietary supplement regulations.

The FDA regulates current GMO foods in the same way as non-GMO foods because the GMO products have already been tested for potential allergenic and teratogenic properties and none have been found. (New products would have to hold up to the same rigorous testing.) Food safety is tightly regulated by the FDA.

Nutritional supplements have largely been deregulated due to lobbying. The FDA can only regulate supplements retroactively because the onus is on them to prove that supplements are hazardous rather than on the supplement manufacturer to prove they are safe. This is due to voters in the 90's writing congress to prevent regulation following numerous ephedra-related deaths.

It's sort of funny...20 years ago, people were writing Congress to stay out of their medicine cabinets despite a wealth of data that many nutritional supplements are harmful, ineffective, and/or contain none of the ingredients on the label. Today we have a biotechnology that is literally saving lives and has shown to produce crops identical to non-GMO products, and people want it labeled.

American voters will stop at nothing to get their way so they can regret it a couple decades later.

Exactly my point. Suppose its a big assumption to make but I'm going to guess you work in the sciences as well?

I understand where both of you are coming from. But if you want a smart voting citizenry, educate them. Don't keep them ignorant. That is literally the worst, as well as most unethical solution to the problem.

If you think adding a label to a package equates to educating the public, you have far more faith in humanity than I do! ;) I don't have anything against the labeling itself, but here's the problem: The Timing.

10 years ago, adding a GMO label would have meant little or nothing to the public. Most people didn't even know GMO's existed. Now people know they exist, but because so few are biotechnologists, they don't really understand what they are. That perpetuates fear. The anti-science movement is very popular right now, as evidenced by the epidemic of MMR in the US. This is absolutely the worst time to add a GMO label and perpetuate unfounded beliefs that GMO's are something 'other' than plain old food. People will go: "Ah HA! I told you so! GMO's are dangerous so the FDA had to label them!"

If you really want to educate people, EDUCATE them. Don't placate them.

The label wouldn't be a problem for an educated citizenry that has a reason to have at least a speck of faith in the regulatory process. Instead we have a poorly educated citizenry that is nevertheless aware enough to know our system is corrupted. Your solution is more ignorance by refusing to tell us what is in the food we put in our own bodies. That sort of thinking is not conducive to a democratic society. Not that we have one of those, but someday I'd sure like to.

Did you miss the part where the supplement industry was deregulated by lobbyists and supported by millions of voters who literally wrote to their Congressmen to tell them not to allow the FDA to increase regulations? That is what the 'educated' citizenry did. Shot themselves in the feet.

Most people don't even know the regulatory process, nor to they care to find out. It's pretty boring. How do they decide to have faith in it? I mean, honestly, did you know any of it before I wrote about it?

Some of it. I've forgotten a lot of it, too, but my education and training is in history and political science. I did not specialize in the USDA or FDA though. And frankly, the FDA could very well have kept its filthy fingers off my herbal Ma Huang supplement and I would have been overjoyed.

My point stands: If people are making stupid decisions, it's improper education. Both education regarding facts, and education to resist propaganda from those who would manipulate us.

You want to hide the nature of our food from people by refusing to label it clearly. Again, this mindset is not conducive to a democratic society. Regardless of what you think of the choices people will make based on those labels, to deny us choice is a mistake. It's our decision.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I only eat GMO foods, never been healthier.

Come at me.

Have you developed your cold-resistant super powers yet? I sure haven't. :(

I thought I was supposed to absorb the powers of my adversaries by ingesting their flesh!

LOL no but I have developed more strength and stamina with my gmo filled diet. Weird right.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Then go after THEM, not GMOs. That is all I am saying. Anyways, I keep trying to bow out and fail to do so, maybe I will just look away for a bit. Cheers.

One more thing from me, too, then I'm done. By the way, I do suggest we go after them and sweep every politician who takes corporate money and every lobbyist out.

But do you know what will really strike the death blow to this research? If failure to regulate ever results in deaths and people figure out GMOs caused the deaths. I certainly wouldn't advocate covering up the cause of those deaths, I hope you wouldn't either. Regardless, if it ever happens, it will make what happened to stem cell research look like a minor setback.

I think you are confusing food regulations with nutritional/dietary supplement regulations.

The FDA regulates current GMO foods in the same way as non-GMO foods because the GMO products have already been tested for potential allergenic and teratogenic properties and none have been found. (New products would have to hold up to the same rigorous testing.) Food safety is tightly regulated by the FDA.

Nutritional supplements have largely been deregulated due to lobbying. The FDA can only regulate supplements retroactively because the onus is on them to prove that supplements are hazardous rather than on the supplement manufacturer to prove they are safe. This is due to voters in the 90's writing congress to prevent regulation following numerous ephedra-related deaths.

It's sort of funny...20 years ago, people were writing Congress to stay out of their medicine cabinets despite a wealth of data that many nutritional supplements are harmful, ineffective, and/or contain none of the ingredients on the label. Today we have a biotechnology that is literally saving lives and has shown to produce crops identical to non-GMO products, and people want it labeled.

American voters will stop at nothing to get their way so they can regret it a couple decades later.

Exactly my point. Suppose its a big assumption to make but I'm going to guess you work in the sciences as well?

I understand where both of you are coming from. But if you want a smart voting citizenry, educate them. Don't keep them ignorant. That is literally the worst, as well as most unethical solution to the problem.

If you think adding a label to a package equates to educating the public, you have far more faith in humanity than I do! ;) I don't have anything against the labeling itself, but here's the problem: The Timing.

10 years ago, adding a GMO label would have meant little or nothing to the public. Most people didn't even know GMO's existed. Now people know they exist, but because so few are biotechnologists, they don't really understand what they are. That perpetuates fear. The anti-science movement is very popular right now, as evidenced by the epidemic of MMR in the US. This is absolutely the worst time to add a GMO label and perpetuate unfounded beliefs that GMO's are something 'other' than plain old food. People will go: "Ah HA! I told you so! GMO's are dangerous so the FDA had to label them!"

The label wouldn't be a problem for an educated citizenry that has a reason to have at least a speck of faith in the regulatory process. Instead we have a poorly educated citizenry that is nevertheless aware enough to know our system is corrupted. Your solution is more ignorance by refusing to tell us what is in the food we put in our own bodies. That sort of thinking is not conducive to a democratic society. Not that we have one of those, but someday I'd sure like to.

Did you miss the part where the supplement industry was deregulated by lobbyists and supported by millions of voters who literally wrote to their Congressmen to tell them not to allow the FDA to increase regulations? That is what the 'educated' citizenry did. Shot themselves in the feet.

Most people don't even know the regulatory process, nor to they care to find out. It's pretty boring. How do they decide to have faith in it? I mean, honestly, did you know any of it before I wrote about it?

Some of it. I've forgotten a lot of it, too, but my education and training is in history and political science. I did not specialize in the USDA or FDA though. And frankly, the FDA could very well have kept its filthy fingers off my herbal Ma Huang supplement and I would have been overjoyed.

My point stands: If people are making stupid decisions, it's improper education. Both education regarding facts, and education to resist propaganda from those who would manipulate us.

You want to hide the nature of our food from people by refusing to label it clearly. Again, this mindset is not conducive to a democratic society. Regardless of what you think of the choices people will make based on those labels, to deny us choice is a mistake. It's our decision.

Your herbal ma huang supplement could have been saw dust and toenail clippings for all you knew. If anything, the FDA should increase its regulation in the supplement industry. Sure, label GMO's, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you--or anyone else--is educated by a label. Do you want an ingredients list for your apples? It's really long and contains arsenic.
  • Meerataila
    Options

Your herbal ma huang supplement could have been saw dust and toenail clippings for all you knew. If anything, the FDA should increase its regulation in the supplement industry. Sure, label GMO's, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you--or anyone else--is educated by a label. Do you want an ingredients list for your apples? It's really long and contains arsenic.

Hey, I'm all for better regulation. The FDA should do a lot of things it's not doing. Like take over for the USDA so that the business promoting arm and what is at least supposed to be a regulatory arm will be at least in theory separated.

I have no problem with arsenic being listed on my apple. I already know it's in there.

You are trying to create a straw man argument based around information overload. Next you'll ask me if I'd like it all my ingredients broken down into the periodic table, won't you?
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Last comment from me, I really need to sleep:

You don't want me to have the information on my food label because you don't like what I might do with that information. I might not buy something. Other people might not buy something. Valuable research could be lost due to lots of people refusing to buy something and then deciding something shouldn't exist at all (slippery slope right there).

I have a serious problem with this whole concept of keeping people ignorant because you don't like what they might do with the information, and I don't care how pristine the motives are.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

You don't want me to have the information on my food label because you don't like what I might do with that information. I might not buy something. Other people might not buy something. Valuable research could be lost due to lots of people refusing to buy something and then deciding something shouldn't exist at all (slippery slope right there).

I have a serious problem with this whole concept of keeping people ignorant because you don't like what they might do with the information, and I don't care how pristine the motives are.

agreed
  • them_and_me
    them_and_me Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm pretty ignorant in the GMO debate, but this has been a really interesting read!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So this past weekend I had many of spirited conversations with my BiL about GMO's v. Non-GMO from the stand point of weight loss. I have lost all my weight to date not caring so much about GMO (i.e. using smart balance butter sub vs. using olive oil for the sake of calories) - and while I know "not all fats are created equal" - I still stand by my choices.

My question is....does it REALLY make that much of a difference?

You eat all GMO, I'll eat non-GMO, and we'll compare medical afflictions in 25 years. Deal? DEAL!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I already said I have no problem with the GMO label itself. The problem is that people will remain ignorant, and their ignorance will be exacerbated by the false notion that their awareness of a label equals education. Just because you see the GMO label on an item doesn't mean you're educated about GMO's.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So this past weekend I had many of spirited conversations with my BiL about GMO's v. Non-GMO from the stand point of weight loss. I have lost all my weight to date not caring so much about GMO (i.e. using smart balance butter sub vs. using olive oil for the sake of calories) - and while I know "not all fats are created equal" - I still stand by my choices.

My question is....does it REALLY make that much of a difference?

You eat all GMO, I'll eat non-GMO, and we'll compare medical afflictions in 25 years. Deal? DEAL!

So, have you been eating non-GMO food for your entire life, then? Or did you just decide to try and avoid it once you learned it existed? News flash: You've been eating GMO food since before you knew there was GMO food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Genetic engineering has been happening for as long as humans have been around. Why is it only suddenly an issue? Should we be frightened of all the "unnatural" breeds of dogs that humans have created? What about cats? Should we be scared of every crop we eat today that only exists because of selective breeding over thousands of years?

Cross breeding and genetic engineering are the not the same thing. Cross breeding has been practiced for centuries, GE is fairly new.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Genetic engineering has been happening for as long as humans have been around. Why is it only suddenly an issue? Should we be frightened of all the "unnatural" breeds of dogs that humans have created? What about cats? Should we be scared of every crop we eat today that only exists because of selective breeding over thousands of years?

Cross breeding and genetic engineering are the not the same thing. Cross breeding has been practiced for centuries, GE is fairly new.

But what if the resulting modification to the genome of the organism is chemically identical from both processes...? Just a thought experiment: would one be evil and the other natural? If the resultant genetic changes are identical, mind you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Bacteria have been sharing plasmids forever. Just how do you think that SOME e.coli become toxic?
  • likitisplit
    Options

My issue is that there is so much information in the world that people have begun to actively seek external filtering agents. Our brains just can't deal with all of it. There is so much noise about GMOs and vaccines and this and that - there could be a serious threat run through under our noses and it would be impossible for anybody to cut through the chatter and get our attention.

10962279094_07138f19b0.jpg
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did I say anything about Marxism? Cause I thought we were talking about power grabs in the name of the "greater good"

We're talking about the death penalty for a for-profit corporation that is corrupting our government even more than it already was, then nationalizing it for the greater good, no quotation marks required.
    You're talking about outright theft. And giving even more power to the most corrupt and powerful entity in the country. What could go wrong?

Their lobbyists stole our entire legal system by getting politicians to give them immunity. Not worried about what happens to that company, the sooner it ceases to exist the better.
    And what's a little harmless unconstitutional power grab as long as you approve of the ends, right?

The lunacy of putting the federal government -- you know, the guys who you say got bought out in the first place -- in charge seems to have escaped you in your rage against Monsanto. If the rule of law can be cast aside to go after your enemy, it can surely be cast aside to go after you.

The federal government is already in charge. Big money owns it. I propose we remove the grip of big money from it, control it ourselves, and prevent companies like Monsanto from obtaining immunity from lawsuits and other such nonsense. But hey, if you'd prefer anarchy, we could discuss that option, too.

The people, united, can never be defeated!!!
  • Meerataila
    Options

I already said I have no problem with the GMO label itself. The problem is that people will remain ignorant, and their ignorance will be exacerbated by the false notion that their awareness of a label equals education. Just because you see the GMO label on an item doesn't mean you're educated about GMO's.

I was too tired when I was reading, I missed where you said you had no problem with the label, I apologize. If a non-profit, truly independent organization would like to educate people better on GMOs, the internet is a relatively inexpensive way to do it. Those of us who read labels and wonder about whether to buy something or not based on the label are the very people who will try to learn more.

But unfortunately there is so much propaganda, perception management, and general corporate and political skulduggery that we can't be blamed for assuming the worst rather than expecting the best.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    10962279094_07138f19b0.jpg

If you are going to list the ingredients in a recipe, you should list the amounts of each. How am I supposed to make my own apple from this?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Bacteria have been sharing plasmids forever. Just how do you think that SOME e.coli become toxic?

Not sure what your point is.
  • bcattoes
    Options

But what if the resulting modification to the genome of the organism is chemically identical from both processes...? Just a thought experiment: would one be evil and the other natural? If the resultant genetic changes are identical, mind you.

Would one be evil?? What are you writing a cheesy horror flick or something?

"natural" has nothing to do with how evil or good or identical something is.