srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    49264-Nope-gif-qo2U.gif

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-lol-no.gif

one-does-not-simply-walk-a-cat.jpg
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    What happens on Day 18? You eat whatever you want and gain back all the weight you just lost?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    17 Day Diet by Mike Moreno, a physician, espouses the theory that one must change what one is eating every 17 days to prevent "homeostasis." There is no science that backs this contention.

From http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=6442464046#.U6iuWPldWSo:

"This is another diet that will add more confusion to the already confused, fat and malnourished country. Restrictive meal plans, no fruit after 2 p.m., demonizing food and the low calorie levels of this diet are a perfect combination for a good binge."

It's not as bad as some but is still just calorie restriction and exercise wrapped up in unnecessary hogwash.
  • Kakeslyn
    Kakeslyn Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I decided to start losing weight, this is actually the first thing I tried. The book is still in my room somewhere. I stuck to it for about a week, and then ended up joining MFP and focusing on calorie-counting instead. I was a lot less grumpy afterwards*!

Edit: *after switching to calorie counting
  • jesskat35
    jesskat35 Posts: 3
    Options
    wow - a simple yes would be great. I am not looking for random unsolicited comments - just to start a group. Having to scroll through babbling is annoying and doesn't accomplish anything.
    For the record, I am an educated person. I am not into hype diets - this one actually gives healthy food options. I am not focusing on the promise of ___ pounds in ___ days. Just a healthy food plan to follow where I do not have to put too much thought into calorie counting.

Thanks anyway.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    wow - a simple yes would be great. I am not looking for random unsolicited comments - just to start a group. Having to scroll through babbling is annoying and doesn't accomplish anything.
    For the record, I am an educated person. I am not into hype diets - this one actually gives healthy food options. I am not focusing on the promise of ___ pounds in ___ days. Just a healthy food plan to follow where I do not have to put too much thought into calorie counting.

Thanks anyway.

If you want a healthy food plan, try clean eating magazine, gives you 14 days of meals, a grocery list, and the calorie break down. I cannot vouch for clean foods, but if you need a simple plan it doesn't get any easier then a cutout grocery list and a meal and snack planner, and it is free.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/meal-planning/meal-plans/

When you go to this link they have week1 and 2 a little down the page. Each magazine has a new 2 week plan; easy to incorporate and easy to follow. Have fun!
  • LeanGrim
    LeanGrim Posts: 2
    Options
    what is the 17 day diet?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    What are you going to do after the 17 days is over? You might drop some water weight but you won't lose any significant amount of fat.

Better plan, set your fitness pal to lose .5 to 1 lb per week and watch the weight slowly come off and stay off for life. Also throw in some heavy lifting. You can't "tone" a muscle, but the toned look is achieved by having a lower body fat % and having some muscle.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm writing a book. I could use the money.

My diet will be called "A kale chip a day keeps the fat away". I may market my own brand of special, organic kale that makes you fart rainbows.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    That's it. I'm writing a book. I could use the money.

My diet will be called "A kale chip a day keeps the fat away". I may market my own brand of special, organic kale that makes you fart rainbows.

Yes but the tagline could be phat(instead of fat) and get in to all the BS about our bodies ph levels and ways to manipulate it and lose fat, gain muscle, no need to count calories. . . .you'd sell 40 more copies. . .
  • rubybriseno0615
    rubybriseno0615 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You guys are really childish. This community should be for encouragement and sarcastic remarks are not needed. We are all here for the same reason..
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You guys are really childish. This community should be for encouragement and sarcastic remarks are not needed. We are all here for the same reason..

Really? What is your reason?
    I'm here because I:
    - want to maintain the shape I finally achieved through MFP encouraged calorie counting methods
    - enjoy the relationships I have developed along the way
    - have fun with people
    - continue adopting a life that incorporates food and fitness into a fun and healthy personal lifestyle
    - learn how to adjust my relationship with food, so that I can eat what I like and be happy doing it

I'm not here to:
    - lose weight fast
    - be miserable doing it
  • k_nicole87
    Options

Someone needs one of these

tumblr_inline_mjznyqyNhD1r7k25l.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

bump.....
  • k_nicole87
    Options

bump.....

tumblr_m70v1ma6JR1rziwwco1_500.gif
  • k_nicole87
    Options
    This is too perfect. All these hug gifs and Faithfully by Journey comes on.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    People Magazine: Eating the Alkaline Way Experts say: "Acid or alkaline? Doesn't matter" says Alpert. "Our pH system stays balanced regardless of the diet."
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Firstly, no we're not all here for the same reason.

Secondly, a lot of people here don't believe in encouraging fad diets, or yo-yo dieting, or encouraging people to worsen their relationship with food.

OP - not sure if it's been linked yet, but check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It would be a shame to ignore comments here as "babbling" just because they are not blindly supporting what is, basically, a fad diet. Look past the sarcasm and gifs and you can learn an awful lot here. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am willing to commit to checking on this thread for the next 17 days. Please post your updates here, OP and any who wish to join her. We can better track your progress and make suggestions that way and decide for ourselves whether to try it in the future a couple weeks from now.

So far it is concerning to me that there is an expectation of losing 20-30 lbs in 17 days...that seems a bit high. What is this projected loss based on?