Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Where can I find a study that shows Diet Soda will make you gain weight? I hear that all the time but have yet to actually see a study that shows it.

I have seen some studies that show a consistency that diet soda drinkers are typically overweight but not even one study that shows diet soda has any thing to do with it.

I could use the same coloration with Weight Watchers. Most of its members are overweight so Weight Watchers may lead to weight gain.

Lol i think the reason diet soda drinker are overweight is because they order a larger cheeseburger , larger shake, larger fries and a diet coke. Like somehow the diet coke makes it better lol. I see that all the time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Nay. Studies have shown it can cause neurological damage. I like all my cells intact. I did drink it in the past. Bought one about a year ago, and I am sorry to say it tasted like I would imagine turpentine would taste. Rather go something healthier.
    Where are those studies you speak of.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, to a point where I drank 2L a day now and again. Yeah. :embarassed: I'm not proud!
    Surprisingly.... (and I'm not blowing my own trumpet here) everyone always compliments my teeth, they've survived the Pepsi Max so far but I'm really wanting to cut down purely to avoid future teeth damage. That's my biggest concern.

PS. Just want to add...
    I CANNOT understand how Diet Coke is more popular than Pepsi Max. It tastes a trillion times nicer, a less harsh taste and is just lavvvvly. I didn't even give PM a second look until a few years ago, more people need to be aware of the Pepsi Max beauty!
  • sunnyskys2013
    Options
    Hmm...I don't drink it often but when I do crave a soda I'm glad for the option. I never feel very fantastic afterward though. I know it's not the best option...but it seems better than a drink that's just chock full of sugar.

You could try zevia it is made with stevia you can get it at the health food store. It is high but i don't drink it very often.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both of which are harmless amino acids that many people supplement with on purpose at much higher levels. There is a methane bi-product but this is found in a lot of foods especially canned and jarred tomatoes. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, meaning your body cannot make it on it's own. Bottom line: there are no calories in diet soda, it cannot make you fat, and there is absolutely no impact on insulin response. I don't drink it often but if I am going to have a soda, I'm going to go with diet to avoid needless sugar. Way too much pseudoscience and sensationalism on this issue in my opinion. As a trainer, I have had clients actually tell me they have switched to regular soda from diet like that's a good thing! That's how misconstrued the issue is.
  • sunnyskys2013
    Options
    If it is caffeinated, it's a nay because of my sensitivity to caffeine, which gets me all jittery and also makes me retain water. Otherwise it's a yay. LOVE my Zevia.

Love my Zevia too!

me too
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nay because the taste of all artificial sweeteners is disgusting to me. I've also found that recently they make me not feel very good-headaches, scratchy throat. To each their own though.
  • sunnyskys2013
    Options
    Nay. Studies have shown it can cause neurological damage. I like all my cells intact. I did drink it in the past. Bought one about a year ago, and I am sorry to say it tasted like I would imagine turpentine would taste. Rather go something healthier.
    Where, where are the studies???

I wish just once people would stop jumping into threads, making a ridiculous claim like the above, get called out and they would actually come back and provide the research/studies. Just once!!! Provide links to your claims.

Here you go just a quick google search and this came up

http://www.livestrong.com/article/67657-aspartame-neurological-disorders/
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

No, studies have not shown that. Link to a single study that has shown that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aspartame is Aspartic Acid and Phenylalanine, both of which are harmless amino acids that many people supplement with on purpose at much higher levels. There is a methane bi-product but this is found in a lot of foods especially canned and jarred tomatoes. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid, meaning your body cannot make it on it's own. Bottom line: there are no calories in diet soda, it cannot make you fat, and there is absolutely no impact on insulin response. I don't drink it often but if I am going to have a soda, I'm going to go with diet to avoid needless sugar. Way too much pseudoscience and sensationalism on this issue in my opinion. As a trainer, I have had clients actually tell me they have switched to regular soda from diet like that's a good thing! That's how misconstrued the issue is.

Yup, absolutely this. Took words out of my mouth.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I wish just once people would stop jumping into threads, making a ridiculous claim like the above, get called out and they would actually come back and provide the research/studies. Just once!!! Provide links to your claims.

You seem to have confused an editorial on livestrong with a study, an editorial that does not bother to cite any actual study because as stated none exist. Did you read an actual study or just an opinion piece on an opinion of a naturopath.

"People with a neurological disorder known as PKU, or phenylketonuria, should avoid all forms of aspartame because they lack the enzyme that breaks down phenylalanine, causing it to accumulate and lead to potential brain damage, according to Balch"

This part is true, same as people with a peanut allergy should avoid peanuts. Doesn't make peanuts bad.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

That's an article. Not a study.
  • sunnyskys2013
    Options

Opps sorry my mistake :blushing:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Here is a review and metanalysis of studies:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184

"Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Opps sorry my mistake :blushing:

No problem. 98% of the population reads that article and takes it as fact. That's the reason this thread is able to exist. People not doing their due diligence.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The problem with citing articles is that no matter what view you hold, you can find something somewhere to support you. I wrote two papers in college, each for different classes. One proved, even with studies and statistics, that video games contribute to juvenile violence. The other, proven also with studies and statistics, stated that video games do NOT contribute to juvenile violence. All you have to do to "prove" a point is google for the right thing.
  • sazm1219
    sazm1219 Posts: 10
    Options
    Nay...artificial sweeteners and they make me feel bloaty