What's your favorite breed of dog?

Options

Replies

• dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs ... as on the grill. Or the ones at the track that you bet on.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    German Shepherd!

Best dogs ever!!!
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Corgi is my favorite, but pit bulls come at a very close second!
  • borst13
    borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Aww I have so many favorites! I actually recently adopted a German Shepard/ Shetland Shepard mix and I am in love with her! GSD has always been my dream dog since my family owned one when I was younger and was my best friend. I didn't know much about her Sheltie side until I started researching out of curiosity and I am really liking that breed too! My other tops are Huskies, Akitas, Pugs and Shiba Inus.

Is that dog meat in your ticker!?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Cocker Spaniels for sure!! I lost my blondie boy about 2 yrs ago to Cancer. He was almost 11yrs old. Now I have 2 black ones..a boy and a girl. They have all been rescues

My parents cocker will be 16 years old in August and she's still going strong!

My family's first dog we rescued when I was 5 was a black Cocker Spaniel. Although I don't necessarily want one, I will always have a soft spot for the breed. :heart:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Kuvasz
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    The cat breed. Dogs are awful. Ok not ALL dogs, but most. If I HAD to tolerate a breed, it would be something not smelly, ugly, drooly, doesn't shed, doesn't eat/crap a ton, and doesn't bark all the time or have an annoying yappy voice. What breed would that be? :laugh:

A Basenji.

Short hair, hypoallergenic, 25-35 lbs, but strong, loyal and does not bark.

basenji_Fla.JPG

lg_basenji10.jpg

Cute-Basenji-Puppy.jpg

Love that dog!

I owned two Basenji's, mother and daughter. From a championship line too.

They are all of the above; however, they are, without a doubt, the smartest and most stubborn dog breed ever. They are truly the cat of the dog world. And lastly, the closest to being wild of any breed. If you get more than one, they will pack attack other animals and small children. I'll never forget the day my two 20-30lb dogs got off leashes and cornered a Pit mix. There is a reason they are used to hunt Lions in Africa.

My father had three, but only one at a time. Fascinating dogs, and yes, very intelligent. Had no idea about the 'pack attack' issue, although in retrospect that doesn't surprise me given their use in Africa. I would love to have one in the future, but right now is not really a good time.

Most breeds that hunt (not retrieve) will do the pack thing. Terriers do it all the time. Just ask the bunnies who hang out in our yard.

Oh yes, as I previously mentioned in another post, I have 3 JRT's (2 purebred, 1 JRT/Doxie) and they go nuts when the cottontails and jack rabbits are in the yard, or the ground squirrels are in the yard.

I recently started doing agility with my female (she is almost 2) and she has taken to it like a fish to water! Within the first hour, she was able to go through the first run of obstacles and back off leash. Smart, and she really loved the stimulation.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Aww I have so many favorites! I actually recently adopted a German Shepard/ Shetland Shepard mix and I am in love with her! GSD has always been my dream dog since my family owned one when I was younger and was my best friend. I didn't know much about her Sheltie side until I started researching out of curiosity and I am really liking that breed too! My other tops are Huskies, Akitas, Pugs and Shiba Inus.

yes!!! :D And btw I was soooooooooo tempted to rename my dog Dogmeat but my family was so against it lol!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    He is just beautiful!! We also have a pit-box mix and is just the same....Very protective and such a gently baby.
    Add in two boxers and that completes our brood of three
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    IMG_2223261339073_zpsff3c2eab.jpg

This adorable thing!! He's a boxer/pit bull mix and the most lovable thing ever. He's so amazing with my girls and very protective of me and our home.
  • borst13
    borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options

yes!!! :D And btw I was soooooooooo tempted to rename my dog Dogmeat but my family was so against it lol!

Lol it would be a strange dog name for people who haven't played fallout but I think it's awesome!!:)
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The cat breed. Dogs are awful. Ok not ALL dogs, but most. If I HAD to tolerate a breed, it would be something not smelly, ugly, drooly, doesn't shed, doesn't eat/crap a ton, and doesn't bark all the time or have an annoying yappy voice. What breed would that be? :laugh:

A Basenji.

Short hair, hypoallergenic, 25-35 lbs, but strong, loyal and does not bark.

basenji_Fla.JPG

lg_basenji10.jpg

Cute-Basenji-Puppy.jpg

Love that dog!

I owned two Basenji's, mother and daughter. From a championship line too.

They are all of the above; however, they are, without a doubt, the smartest and most stubborn dog breed ever. They are truly the cat of the dog world. And lastly, the closest to being wild of any breed. If you get more than one, they will pack attack other animals and small children. I'll never forget the day my two 20-30lb dogs got off leashes and cornered a Pit mix. There is a reason they are used to hunt Lions in Africa.

My father had three, but only one at a time. Fascinating dogs, and yes, very intelligent. Had no idea about the 'pack attack' issue, although in retrospect that doesn't surprise me given their use in Africa. I would love to have one in the future, but right now is not really a good time.

Most breeds that hunt (not retrieve) will do the pack thing. Terriers do it all the time. Just ask the bunnies who hang out in our yard.

Oh yes, as I previously mentioned in another post, I have 3 JRT's (2 purebred, 1 JRT/Doxie) and they go nuts when the cottontails and jack rabbits are in the yard, or the ground squirrels are in the yard.

I recently started doing agility with my female (she is almost 2) and she has taken to it like a fish to water! Within the first hour, she was able to go through the first run of obstacles and back off leash. Smart, and she really loved the stimulation.

We had moles once. Not any more. My guys are silent when prey is involved, I actually had to stop feeding birds in the backyard it attracted too many critters.
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I absolutely Love Alaskan Malamutes! We just had to have ours put to sleep because of a huge tumor on her spleen, she was the best one we have had. Thought she was a lap dog.
    The other one is a Yorkie/Chihuahua mix

66cf0969-c727-4ba6-9254-7a303f0c1c5c.jpg
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Oh and I love listening to Huskies and Malamutes howl. It's just the cutest thing. ^_^

It's pretty easy to get our Samoyed howling........
  • myndikins
    myndikins Posts: 39
    Options
    380253_3518805980833_1112413099_n.jpg
    546599_4021720193374_236963902_n.jpg
    10297965_10202885066959681_1491926434718624891_n.jpg
    10286850_10202885073959856_4617675799830468988_o.jpg

Nothing better than a husky!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I am not biased towards any dog breed and could probably fall in love with them all, but I have a special place in my heart for Boxer's, Pitbulls, Great Danes, and Cockerspaniels. When I was a baby, my grandparents had this amazing giant great dane and I just remember him being so gentle..my Mom has plenty of pics of him walking right behind me when I was learning how to walk. Apparently he was very protective over me.

This is Bruce. My Boxer/Pitt mix. Very loyal, loving and affectionate. A big mush that will probably lick a robber too death instead of trying to hurt him. Thinks he's a lap dog and sleeps like a human with his head on a pillow snuggled next to me at night. :heart:

dblczl.jpg

This was Lucky. My fiercely loyal cockerspaniel who used to lay across my lap and snore with his eyes open when he wanted my attention. He sadly passed away a few months ago due to old age. I took his death very hard, and I miss his beautiful face every single day.

o56l9z.jpg

This is my Mom's pitbull Tonka. He's a big baby, loves kisses and hugs and is truly a gentle giant. He and Bruce love play dates on the beach and car rides.

w2he9z.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    goldens
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I definitely love them all! Animals are so wonderful and dogs are just so special to have as friends.

But I certainly have a soft spot for the sweet little guys!

Maltese, Havanese, Yorkies, Shih Tzus, Shiba Inus, Pomeranians... :D

I love how when they jump on you, their paws are so soft and gentle. It's difficult to deal with a big dog jumping on you because they don't realize how big they are and those big excited paws can hurt! lol Gotta love 'em though. :P

Oh and I love listening to Huskies and Malamutes howl. It's just the cutest thing. ^_^

Well trained dogs do NOT jump on people!! I've had a lot of dogs ( Salukis, Clumber spaniels, English springer spaniels), up to 12 at a time when I was breeding and showing, and I never had a dog ill mannered enough to jump on people.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My favorite breed is labrador retriever, specifically a yellow lab. I had one for 10 years before he passed away and he was so awesome...such a great disposition!

I love most dogs though...even the big drooly ones. :smile:
  • alireba88
    alireba88 Posts: 21
    Options

This is my Mom's pitbull Tonka. He's a big baby, loves kisses and hugs and is truly a gentle giant. He and Bruce love play dates on the beach and car rides.

w2he9z.jpg

OMG! This guy looks so much like my Pittie, Vinny, only Vin-man has green eyes, instead of those pretty blue ones.

I absolutely adore pit bulls. One of my favorite things is introducing people who have an aversion to pits to my big silly bull. He's just about impossible to NOT love. Also, he's my 3 year old niece's best friend. She doesn't call my house "Aunt Ali's" house, she calls it "Vinny's house". Lol.

I have a big ol' English bulldog, too. Not my favorite breed, but I kind of ended up with him by default. A little too snorty and stubborn for my tastes. Plus, he snots on my ankles all the time. Not cool. But I have to love him anyway.

I'm not a big fan of small dogs at all, and for some reason, german shepherds scare the crap out of me. Don't ask me why, they just do!