What's your favorite breed of dog?

Options

Replies

• jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a scenthound gal and currently have a Bluetick Coonhound and a basset/beagle mix. We also have a Bloodhound in the family. :smile:
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We currently have 3 pups including 2 Cocker Spaniels and a Siberian Husky.

Can't say that I have a favorite breed; but I love Huskies, and Retrievers.

Here's our Skye:

[img]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k561/mckeapc67/Mobile Uploads/bd657835-cc48-477f-82c5-527f0a0533bb.jpg[/img]
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    On a related note - I would never buy a dog from a pet store and think that they need to ban pet stores from selling dogs (i think they have in some places).

AGREED!!!!!!!! I hate it when people buy from pet stores aka puppy mills. The pet store up the street from me sells mutts for over a thousand bucks!:grumble: :noway: The kittens there are for sale starting at $100 and people buy them! It just amazes me to no end!
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Olde English Bulldoggs, Australian Shepherds
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Large mongrels with a fair amount of german shepherd thrown into the mix. Very smart, very loyal, very long-lived. I also like yellow dogs (a feral breed that arises naturally from the conditions of living as strays).
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I seem to end up with mutts from the rescue shelter.
    Also, for reasons unknown, they seem to be mixed with German Shepard.
    My last mutt was picked up as a puppy from the shelter. I got him a week before I got married. He was a Shepard/Chow mix and we named him Kevlar. His fur was a golden red color. He was such a cool dog. He was fantastic with the children and, because of his size, he was a bit intimidating to look at.
    Sadly, we had to put him down last year at 14 years old. I swore I would not get another dog.
    That lasted about two months.
    We now have a Shepard/Doberman mix named Onyx.
    We got him as a puppy also. There was a bunch of arrests made in Miami at a dog fight house and he was one of the "bait" puppies retrieved.
    He is pure black with the exception of a small white patch on his chest. He is a very good dog and, amazingly, he actually listenes to us when off the leash. His biggest problem is that he eats EVERYTHING. If we leave pizza on the table, he will eat the pizza and the box it came in.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    As a baby, we had an English Setter - one of the most elegant gentleman dogs I've known and very protective of his faimily. We got an English Springer Spaniel just before he died. He house trained her and she was the most fun dog to finish growing up with. Great family dogs. Need a bit of care as their ears can really become a mess and they seem to have issues with cancer. Currently we have a jack russle /border terrier mix. I would never have picked that breed mix but we were adopting from a shelter and his size was what I could afford for the pet deposit at our house. He's been a real love. I would never have a hound type - I don't like their oily hair. I'm intrigued by the golden doodles. I've never met a golden that wasn't a real sweet heart. But they are pretty big dogs and we can't afford the pet deposit for that size dog.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    <--- I love my Labradoodle, she's a great mix, but I love love German Shepards. I've had a Great Dane, German Shepard, Dachaund and now Macy the doodle.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Since I have a Bullmastiff and an Australian Shepherd/Catahoula mix, I'm a little partial to them.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the golden doodles. I've never met a golden that wasn't a real sweet heart. But they are pretty big dogs and we can't afford the pet deposit for that size dog.

You can get smaller Goldendoodles, they usually breed them with a "regular" size poodle instead of a standard. I have a Labradoodle, she is second generation bred with a standard poodle so she's about 63 lbs. My friend has a second generation bred with a "regular" poodle and hers is about 40 lbs. The problem with the "breed" is they don't really know what they will get when they breed them.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I seem to end up with mutts from the rescue shelter.
    Also, for reasons unknown, they seem to be mixed with German Shepard.
    My last mutt was picked up as a puppy from the shelter. I got him a week before I got married. He was a Shepard/Chow mix and we named him Kevlar. His fur was a golden red color. He was such a cool dog. He was fantastic with the children and, because of his size, he was a bit intimidating to look at.
    Sadly, we had to put him down last year at 14 years old. I swore I would not get another dog.
    That lasted about two months.
    We now have a Shepard/Doberman mix named Onyx.
    We got him as a puppy also. There was a bunch of arrests made in Miami at a dog fight house and he was one of the "bait" puppies retrieved.
    He is pure black with the exception of a small white patch on his chest. He is a very good dog and, amazingly, he actually listenes to us when off the leash. His biggest problem is that he eats EVERYTHING. If we leave pizza on the table, he will eat the pizza and the box it came in.

Poor dog. I'm glad you rescued him from those vicious people! I really don't understand how people can even do that.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Favs:
    French Bulldog (pretty sure I have a pic of my current one in my profile)
    English Mastiff (one day I will have one of these beasts)
    Lab (I miss mine, he had epilepsy and we had to put him down, but he made it to 10 happily before his seizures destroyed him)
    English Bulldog

Worst IMO:
    Shih Tzu (Bit me on the *kitten* when I was young, still haven't met one that wasn't a giant f!ckhead.)
    Greyhounds (They look weird, not a fan)
    Whippets (See greyhound.)
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Favs: German Shep or Siberian Husky.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I love miniature dachshunds best.

Honestly though, it's kind of like anything else...there are different personalities that vary by animal. My aunt has a mini dachshund that is incredibly annoying and I don't really like being around it. Most dogs of that breed - including my favorite pet ever - have incredibly fun, sweet personalities...but not all!
  • emkayelle91
    emkayelle91 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    St. Bernard
    Rottweiler
    Great Pyrenees
    Golden retriever
    Newfoundland
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    English Bulldog
    c32156c8054c4b67d120775046e80a12bc80.jpg
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    bulldog...either kind

There's 3 main kinds as far as I am aware: English, French, American...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Vizsla_908151.jpg

(Velcro) Vizsla! I've never seen a better gun dog, but it's like having a clingy, hyperactive kid.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Was jumped on by a pit and chased by a Whippet (at 8 yrs old) and nipped at by a Yorkie...so to all the dog lovers out there.. I am PETRIFIED of dogs... except the 2 legged Ahole dogs... LOL. However, I do think that Multipoo's are adorable.
  • lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Airedale Terriers :)
    AiredaleTerrier_2242265b.jpg