8 hour diet....

Options
124»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    0.o

I eat breakfast at 8 am and eat dinner at 5 pm. So, under this plan, if I ate my dinner one hour early I would magically lose more weight? Eating the same way I do now?

No. Give me science or get out.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    0.o

I eat breakfast at 8 am and eat dinner at 5 pm. So, under this plan, if I ate my dinner one hour early I would magically lose more weight? Eating the same way I do now?

There is no magic to the timing. As I stated, it is just for some, a convenient way to create a caloric deficit. Which is the only way to lose weight. It doesn't matter if you eat your meals from sun up to sun down. Or within a 4,6,8, or 10 hour window. If you're in a deficit at the end of the day you're good if that's your goal. For me, its convenient. I don't have time in the morning for breakfast unless I want to heat up eggs or whatever when I get to work. Yuk! I also, would rather eat all my calories withing two or three larger meals rather than smaller meals spread throughout the day. I get more satisfaction from the larger meals when I'm hungry rather than eating because it's time to eat. There are supposed to be some scientific research that fasting does this and that. I don't get to far into that since research can prove anyone's point if they want it to. It either works for you or it doesn't. There isn't anything magic to any diet. It's either deficit, maintenance, or surplus. How you reach those is up to you. You go out there and do whatever the f@%k you want to do (Hodgetwins voice). :wink:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    0.o

No.
    It wont.
    It is just another way of doing a deficit. YOu still have to keep to a deficit and if you keep to this MAY possibly make some times you normally did eat off limits therefore at the end of the day you eat less than you used to.

It would work just like on your eating plan you stayed under the deficit per the day. I fast but do it 24 hours instead and eat at TDEE the next day, and repeat. It creates a huge deficit by the end of the week without having to keep it below a limit each day. I could eat 1500/day or 500/2500 on a two day cycle. I just prefer the second way, and there also is research backing that fasting for periods of time (16+ hours for a period of time) doest have added health benefits. I am not sure if this 8 hour thing has those same beneifts
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Total tangent by why not black coffee instead of Pepsi Max for caffeine. Both have no calories, but Pepsi Max has aspartame which is horrible for your brain.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Total tangent by why not black coffee instead of Pepsi Max for caffeine. Both have no calories, but Pepsi Max has aspartame which is horrible for your brain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

I'll just leave this here... And point out again that the original post is 18 months old
  • 1HourAthlete
    1HourAthlete Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Interesting discussion, like people have said it's not a "diet" it's simply controlling when you eat.

I've tried it for a few days now and feel it's less complicated to not have to eat lots of little meals throughout the day, definitely starting to lean up also.

The following site is fantastic for information on the "8 hour diet" (otherwise known by normal people as Intermittent Fasting or IF...)

http://www.leangains.com/

Enjoy :)
  • thavoice
    Options
    Okay let me start by saying, there is no need to buy the book.

When I first heard about this "intermittent fasting" I thought it was ridiculous. I actually said to myself, if it was that easy EVERYONE would be skinny.

I read the details which basically say:
    - Your body is set up to fast and burn away the fat, but because people eat so much around the clock- the body cannot do that.
    - You can eat whatever you want in the 8 hour time frame (I still watch what I eat).
    - You ONLY consume calories in an 8 hour window (including drinks).
    - You only have to follow this for 5 days a week to get results..

I decided to try it. I started two weeks ago today. I would not drink my coffee, or even my water mix ins or have anything to eat until 10:00 a.m. (so I could eat dinner at 5:30 p.m. and still give myself a little time before the cut off of 6:00 to be done eating).

In the morning I will drink a Pepsi Max for caffeine since it has 0 calories.

I would then make sure I eat in the 8 hour window ONLY. After 6:00 (the end of my window) no calories by way of food or drink is consumed.

I will admit I have been very bad about exercising the last 2 weeks as well. The reason is, I hurt my back and am limited to light waking (about 5,000 steps a day- so very low).

In 2 weeks i have managed to drop 12 pounds. I did watch what I ate and tried not to eat total crap but for me, this 8 hour diet is really working.

I feel stupid that it was THIS easy all along. On the weekends I don't follow it and still am doing okay. The first few days are really hard in the morning I was starving and I wanted to sit at snack while watching nighttime TV- but it was nice to be able to grab a slice of pizza or a burger and know I wasn't totally throwing my diet off track. I can't wait to see how much I am down by the end of the month- or when I start back to my normal work outs.

Just wanted to give my review on it in case anyone was wondering. :)
    16:8 is the lazy version of fasting. no diff than just skipping bf and u still need to really watch cals like any diet. want tm really do fasting then do 24 hr fasts
  • christopherpwright
    christopherpwright Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fasting takes many forms:
    - 16/8 Diet: Eat all calories in an 8 hour window
    - 20/4 Diet: Same but smaller window (not for the faint hearted as it can mean gioing without food from 8pm one day to 4pm the next theoreticallt which many people struggle with)
    - Intermittent Fasting AKA 5:2 diet: 5 normal days and 2 fasting days where calories are restricted to around 20-25% of normal, with the fasting days never occurring back to back

The science behind this is fairly robust. Many people assume that if you don't eat, your body goes into some sort of "crisis" mde and starts clinging to fat. This only happens after weeks of starvation. Instead what happens is your body begins to use the fat it stores as a fuel source.

Additionally, there are other benefits noted by the studies conducted, including significant drops in cholesterol (in very short periods of time I might add) Fasting also triggers autophagy - the natural process of your body clearing out old dead cells, which is extremely healthy and good for you.

I would recommend checking out http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ and even getting the book - it doesn't take long to read, explains all the science clearly and was well worth it for me. You can fit fasting into a normal life without too much effort - but beware of bingeing on non-fast days as that will prevent weight loss!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am trying IF (today is my second day). For me, I don't get SUPER hungry until I eat, so I figure the longer I wait to eat, the less snacking I will be tempted to do throughout the day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    IF is an eating plan to help you keep on point with your calories.

So it is effective in that it helps you control your appetite better.

I have been doing it since Aug 2013
    And have had great results.

Still comes down to Calories In vs. Calories Out
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I am trying IF (today is my second day). For me, I don't get SUPER hungry until I eat, so I figure the longer I wait to eat, the less snacking I will be tempted to do throughout the day.

Carbs will drive your appetite.
    So when you consume carbs, that just makes your body want more, thus you want to eat more
  • MityMax96
    Options
    16:8 is the lazy version of fasting. no diff than just skipping bf and u still need to really watch cals like any diet. want tm really do fasting then do 24 hr fasts

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Damn I am lazy
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Best to count calories regardless. Some of us, I'm not saying me, mind you (but I'm looking sort of guilty) can fast for 36+ hours and still gain weight during eating windows.
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    65 years old. Eating 1Meal A Day. Time: when ever I decide to eat ( usually 3 pm). Eating at calorie deficit. Exercising. Feel better than I have in 30 years. Works for me. Really enjoy my meal. No problems getting in all my calories. Do not feel weak, dizzy, or any other thing people say will happen. I have come to realize people just eat too much. This has stopped binge eating, snacking and over eating. Do what works for you.
  • thavoice
    Options

Damn I am lazy
    Just meant it a lazy way of fasting......not that any said person is lazy! I dont really consider this a "fasting" program. An 8 hour eating window just seems like a normal eating day and having to really count the calories and eat at the deficit. For me, personally, it would just like sticking to the 1540 calories/day that MFP says I need to get my weight loss results.

I do the 4:3 fasting with 24 hour fasts. Up to 500 one cycle, 2200 the next. and so on.

Not saying the 8 hour diet is bad, but I wouldnt consider it a fasting way of eating like many people say.
  • musdoit2
    musdoit2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 8 hour from12pm to 8pm and its working great for me..I am never hungry. Its been nearly a month on and I have lost 13lbs, not a big loss but thats without exercise. and I sit at my job all day, evenings too.. I also am a very slow loser.. I am still drinking my water till I go to sleep.. and when I get up.. I can't see how water would be a problem. Yes, I am definitely taking in less calories.. but, my objective is to lose weight.. so no problem? Its Easy Painless and it WORKS!! And I have never felt better... :-)
  • MityMax96
    Options

Damn I am lazy
    Just meant it a lazy way of fasting......not that any said person is lazy! I dont really consider this a "fasting" program. An 8 hour eating window just seems like a normal eating day and having to really count the calories and eat at the deficit. For me, personally, it would just like sticking to the 1540 calories/day that MFP says I need to get my weight loss results.

I do the 4:3 fasting with 24 hour fasts. Up to 500 one cycle, 2200 the next. and so on.

Not saying the 8 hour diet is bad, but I wouldnt consider it a fasting way of eating like many people say.

Do you workout during your fast?
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's worth a try :drinker: