weight training & not losing

Options
Ok, it's not all bad, I've lost about 4% BF (I'm about 50 at the mo, so a long way to go) and lost nearly 5 inches over 5 weeks.

This is the Issue, I log everything faithfully in MFP I use a Fitbit linked to this and record all my activities in there, all linked up correctly. I burn about 2.5k calls per day and I'm running at 750-1000 deficit so should be 1-2 lb per week.

I've shifted my macros towards protein and fat and lowered carbs.

I lift heavy 5 days per week increasing weight where I can.

The scales are barely moving, maybe 1lb in the last month. I know volume wise muscle weighs more than fat, so obviously (to me anyway) that's where some of it's coming from, but to lose nothing? how long will this go on for? when will the scales start shifting in my favour? will my body just get to a point where it will slowly start slipping the right way?

so frustrating!!!

Thanks for any useful info in advance :)

Nicky

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    That can be frustrating for sure. How is your nutrition? What is your calorie goal for the day? It sounds like you just need to optimize your diet a bit. You say that you have very low carbs. Carbs (in the correct amount) are good and provide you with energy. I stick to a 40/40/20 macro ratio (protein/carb/fat). It works pretty well.

Allan
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not very low carb, my % are 30/45/25 (carb/protein/fat) Calorie goal is dynamic really, I don't worry about going over a little on rest days as I know I'm under on days I work out, it all comes out in the wash! As long as I have the deficit I require at the end of 7 days I'm happy :)

What do you mean by optimise my diet?

Nicky
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Burning 2,500 calories a day? Is that including your BMR?

Can you open your diary? Either you're overestimating your exercise or underlogging your food.
  • sticky130
    Options
    Yes that's including my BMR.

Everything that passes my lips is weighed and recorded, otherwise I'm only cheating myself, also all activity recorded by my Fitbit so nothing should be over nor underestimated.

Diary now open by the way.

I lost weight quite successfully before I started weight training, and by the way the tape measure never moved as much when I was losing weight as it does now, so I must be doing something right :) lol

I was just hoping that there'd be some reflection of all my hard work showing in the scales, I've just increased the deficit I'm working at to see if that gives it a kick!

Nicky
  • sticky130
    Options
    Getting most frustrated now grrrr!

Had to stop lifting for a few weeks due to injury, reduced my weight loss goal weekly as I knew I wouldn't be burning as many calories and I didn't want my eating calories to drop to low. I lost 3 pounds!! Fab I thought.

Then tail end of last week started lifting again, changed my weekly goal again back to what it was as I knew i'd be burning more and I've now put that 3 pound back on.

This whole thing is soooo frustrating, my diary is open so you can see what I'm eating. Everything is weighed and I'm always in my boundaries, sometimes more than I should.

I don't want to stop lifting as I want to minimise losing lean body mass and build as I go as I'll be at this for a good year.

What is going on??

Oh and I drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Getting most frustrated now grrrr!

Had to stop lifting for a few weeks due to injury, reduced my weight loss goal weekly as I knew I wouldn't be burning as many calories and I didn't want my eating calories to drop to low. I lost 3 pounds!! Fab I thought.

Then tail end of last week started lifting again, changed my weekly goal again back to what it was as I knew i'd be burning more and I've now put that 3 pound back on.

This whole thing is soooo frustrating, my diary is open so you can see what I'm eating. Everything is weighed and I'm always in my boundaries, sometimes more than I should.

I don't want to stop lifting as I want to minimise losing lean body mass and build as I go as I'll be at this for a good year.

What is going on??

Oh and I drink at least 2 litres of water a day.

Lifting weights causes water retention in your muscles for the purpose of glycogen storage and repair. You can easily gain 5+ pounds of water due to engaging in a weight lifting routinue if you are a novice. I can't help but notice that it sounds like you have made AWESOME progress in terms of inches and %bodyfat but yet are depressed just because of the scale. Its water...you are still losing fat, its okay.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    erm...looking back over your diary for the last week most days you are logging 187-600 cals eaten in total...is that right??

if so your weight loss will slow down as your body worries about where it's next meal comes from

if just not logging then it is hard to offer advice
  • sticky130
    Options
    erm...looking back over your diary for the last week most days you are logging 187-600 cals eaten in total...is that right??

if so your weight loss will slow down as your body worries about where it's next meal comes from

if just not logging then it is hard to offer advice

Ha! I'd for got about that,

I've changed my setting on my diary so it's just Breakfast, lunch & dinner + snacks as I had extra sections in before. When I changed it this morning half my logged meals on previous days had disappeared!!! Rest assured I log everything, I can change it back so you can see if you like.

I consume about 1500-1600 a day and do about 350-400 cals from lifting and fitbit activity so I'm netting around 1200 a day which I feel is a bit low to be honest!

I think I'll just go and change it back, lol!
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to go back to the person who said about the water retention. On the days when I lift not just swim I don't lose and may even gain. Then after a couple days off I drop down again.
    However, as a no carb person who has celiac's if you are doing a lower carb diet you do have to watch for hidden carbs in spices -sauces etc and high sodium as most low carb high protein foods like that pattern.
    Also try drinking coconut water after you lift . It is a good diuretic but restores your electrolytes.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking some progress pics of yourself, rather than relying on the scales? I found it helpful to actually SEE the changes - especially when I was working hard and the scales weren't doing what I expected! Scale weight can fluctuate so much due to so many factors, as everyone has mentioned.

But if you're losing inches, does the scale matter? Sounds like you're doing great :D
  • sticky130
    Options
    Looks like I should just keep the faith then and keep plodding on! :ohwell:

I'd say 90% of the food we eat is all homemade & clean so carbs come from veggies/rice/pasta etc.

I monitor my sodium levels and i'm always around 25% of my daily allowance as I didn't want an issue with water retention (ha!) so I thought I'd keep an eye on that.

Not a huge fan of coconut water, but I might give it another crack after your recommendation as that sounds like a good idea, hopefully my tastebuds have changed since last time I tried it, lol

I'm happy for anybody to scrutinise my diary and give me any pointers :bigsmile:
  • sticky130
    Options
    Maybe try taking some progress pics of yourself, rather than relying on the scales? I found it helpful to actually SEE the changes - especially when I was working hard and the scales weren't doing what I expected! Scale weight can fluctuate so much due to so many factors, as everyone has mentioned.

But if you're losing inches, does the scale matter? Sounds like you're doing great :D

I can see small changes with the photo's and I know I should be happy with inches lost but I really really don't want to be a 200lb size 10(UK) It has to start moving sometime!!

I just have to accept that I'm in it for the long haul and just need a hug and reassurance sometimes (:embarassed: ) that I'm doing the right thing, and have just not spent the last 3 months flogging myself for nothing!!
  • vickiaf
    vickiaf Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from having recently started heavy lifting myself. The inches are dropping but the weight isn't. However I think you have just about summed it up in your last post.

Firstly have you EVER seen a size 10 woman that weighs 200lbs? I haven't so the pounds MUST come off eventually if the inches are.

Secondly WHEN you drop to a size 10, if I took your scales away from you, would you (or anybody else) even care about the weight? I know if I was wearing a size 8 bodycon dress I wouldn't care if I weighed 300lb!

Keep plodding on and results will follow, promise :flowerforyou:
  • ciaraos27
    ciaraos27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat. This morning I felt so demoralised as the scales are telling me I'm putting on weight again, yet I'm being as careful as I can be with food and getting in as much weights and cardio as the work day allows. I've not measured myself yet but actually can't tell much difference with clothes yet but it's only been 5 weeks. I did expect greater results as there have been people on the same plan as me but lost a stone or more by 6 weeks, even with lots of drinking! I seem to slide up and down the scale on a weekly basis.

I think it's the hard work as well. I plan my meals daily around training and so on. Social life has taken a knock. However I did get told by one person who hadn't seen me in a month that I was 'glowing with health so that's something!

I read yesterday that moves that engage several muscle groups, particularly the legs, burn fat faster. Anyone have their key go to move for this? I've been trying out the dead lift swing with kettle bells.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Remember, weight means nothing. It is just a measure of gravity acting on the body. Go by the inches and especially the body fat percentage. Like was previously stated, whenever you add weight training you will store glycogen in the muscles in order to fuel the workouts later. That glycogen has to be stored in 3 times as much water as glycogen. This is a good form of water retention because it is required before you can actually start building actual muscle fiber size. (You have to max out the storage capacity of the existing muscle first before the body feels like it needs more muscle to do the next workout.) When you are storing this glycogen and water, and eventually adding muscle fiber proteins, you will see increases on the scale but they are much denser than body fat so they won't take up as much space as the same weight in fat. If you are losing body fat at the same or slower (more likely) rate that you are storing glycogen, you will see little decrease or even an increase on the scale but will see the inches lost with circumference measurements. This is why I don't re-weigh my clients for at least 8-12 weeks and even then I only do weight so that I can get an estimate of body fat in pounds. If the fat is going down and the lean is going up, I don't care what anyone weighs because I know they are getting healthier. And yes, you can be heavier and wear a smaller size. My sister and I are a classic example. I outweigh her by 40-50 pounds but I'm 4-5 sizes smaller than her. The difference is that I lift weights (and do cardio and stretch and stay active all day everyday) and she doesn't. Thanks, scale, but I'll keep my 50 extra pounds of lean body mass and look better a swimsuit this summer. ;-)
  • sticky130
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your replies. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

The whole bit about water & glycogen makes sense, I kinda knew logically in my head that my BF% is going down and my measurements are going down BUT the scales are staying the same, that fat must be going somewhere. I'm just going to keep my head down and crack on with it.

Thanks so much for the reassurance that I am on the right track, and this is the downside to lifting, which I really don't want to give up as in 12 months time I'll be really really glad I stuck it out regardless of what the scales say.

Out of interest how long will I have to be lifting for for my muscles to stop retaining water? or am I stuck with it for good?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Out of interest how long will I have to be lifting for for my muscles to stop retaining water? or am I stuck with it for good?

If you keep lifting, you will keep storing glycogen in water. Even if you build more muscle fibers, you will store more glycogen in those muscle fibers too. This is a good thing. It is what fuels your future weight training workouts. If you stop lifting, you will start to lose those improvements in about 3 days. But who would want to lose those improvements in strength and ability? The good news is that unless you keep increasing the weight you are lifting you will max out with how much glycogen you will need to store. When that happens you will start to see the scale go down because the fat burning will keep happening from the exercise and healthy eating.
  • sticky130
    Options

If you keep lifting, you will keep storing glycogen in water. Even if you build more muscle fibers, you will store more glycogen in those muscle fibers too. This is a good thing. It is what fuels your future weight training workouts. If you stop lifting, you will start to lose those improvements in about 3 days. But who would want to lose those improvements in strength and ability? The good news is that unless you keep increasing the weight you are lifting you will max out with how much glycogen you will need to store. When that happens you will start to see the scale go down because the fat burning will keep happening from the exercise and healthy eating.

I am steadily increasing what I lift as I keep improving, so it looks like I'll always have then. Is that what your saying?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, you are losing fat. Why do you care so much about what the scale says? No one knows that number unless you tell them, all they see is you body getting smaller. There are a number of threads here on MFP with women who weight train and stay about the same weight while losing a bunch of fat so they look much better. If you have a lot of fat to lose, your weight will start to come down eventually as you are losing fat. I would personally suggest stick with a tape measure and photos and put the scale away.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You are significantly smaller now than when you started, so eff the scale. If your goal is becoming smaller while getting stronger, then you are a success. Keep doing what you're doing and when you have all that muscle build up, you'll be burning calories like crazy and you won't even have to pay attention to those calories, they'll just be falling off of you. Keep going and don't overanalyze.