Calories In VS Calories Out Question

Options
This is a hypothetical question for people who go with Calories in VS calories out. If you are one of the people who say it "doesn't work" for you, please don't respond.

Okay, someone once told me that it would be better to eat 24 cupcakes (in addition to your regular daily intake) in one day over eating 1 cupcake (in addition to your regular daily intake) for 24 days. He said that the body would not be able to process all 24 cupcakes and you would not gain as much weight.

I am undecided on this. On one hand, it's just physics but on the other hand, the body can't possibly gain 2 pounds of fat overnight (assuming 300 cals/cupcake). What do you think?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    interesting question. i think its not a stretch to say your body can only process so much in a single day but we are very efficient at storing fat

i think it really depends on the person. hormones, size of digestive tract, activity level would all play a part here
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well...interesting

I think that there are too many factors to really say for sure.

I mean after eating 24 cup cakes in one day..what do you do for the next 23 ?In a deficit or at maitenance? won't matter

vs

eating one a day for 24 days...eating in a deficit or at maitenance...won't matter.

If it's CICO argument just make them fit in over 24 days (like I do my chocolate) and no worries eat all the cupcakes...

I think your friend is off to be frank it's almost akin to calories can tell time...

I ate on average TDEE-15% for 10months...lost on average 3/4lb a week...some weeks none...some weeks 1.5....going over maitenance some days...eating at maitenance others days but mainly being in a deficit...so in my experience it doesn't matter when you eat the food as long as you stay in a deficit you will lose weight.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Yeah I with Big T - interesting and I am not sure how it would play out...

I assume when you say "in addition to your regular daily intake" you mean on top of maintenance? So if someone was eating at maintenance and either ate 24 cupcakes over at once, or 1 per day over...

Hmmm

Well this a hunch on my part, but considering energy partitioning, I think that eating 24 at once could potentially pack on slightly less weight (not sure to what degree) because (and this is semi-gross maybe) - poop. I assume there would be more fecal loss of energy in the scenario where you eat all of them at once.

Someone much smarter could easily destroy my hypothesis though - its pretty much a guess.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's broscience.

For some good advice (it worked for me!), read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you), 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats (like a cupcake) into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Bingeing is never good.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Intriguing will use numbers just to see. If to maintain weight I eat 2000 calories a day and I add a cupcake at 200 calories in 24 days I would have consumed 4800 calories in excess, if I eat them all on the same day that excess is only on that day but at the end of those 24 days it is still the same number so over 1 pound for that period of time.

Lots of people go by a weekly allotment of calories instead of daily, some days they eat less, some days they eat more but they stay within their week calorie budget.

I just dont see how eating all one day or spreading over would make a change. If that was the case anyone that suffers from binge eating would not be concerned and not worry about gaining weight if there body could not metabolise over a certain amount if food per day.

Wish it was true :0)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    That's like saying my 5000 calorie splurge days will have little or "less" effect. Nice try. Step away from the gimmicks!!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I would think the nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting from eating 24 cupcakes would keep you from gaining weight.

So that's the answer: The Cupcake Diet™

:)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I would think the nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting from eating 24 cupcakes would keep you from gaining weight.

Write the book! Here's my money!!!!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

That was my thought as well. I would applaud anyone who could eat 24 cupcakes in one day in addition to their normal food intake and keep it all inside.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    He said that the body would not be able to process all 24 cupcakes and you would not gain as much weight.
    I've often wondered but then again it doesn't make much sense that the body can't process some food due to food timing. Assuming you don't vomit it up, the body does process it. Why would it excrete caloric matter due to an excess of it? That's what fat cells are for-- storing excess calories for later times of famine (or for between meals).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Haha, this was pretty much my take on it as well. It would come up almost as soon as it went down.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Okay, someone once told me that it would be better to eat 24 cupcakes (in addition to your regular daily intake) in one day over eating 1 cupcake (in addition to your regular daily intake) for 24 days. He said that the body would not be able to process all 24 cupcakes and you would not gain as much weight.

I am undecided on this. On one hand, it's just physics but on the other hand, the body can't possibly gain 2 pounds of fat overnight (assuming 300 cals/cupcake). What do you think?

The weight gain would not be overnight. you'd see the effects gradually on the days going forward. The person who told you the body cannot process all 24 cupcakes was right about that but wrong about not gaining the weight. You will gain the weight and keep gaining for longer than you wanted until your body has been able to process the 24 cupcakes.

When your body can't process something it doesn't just go away... It stays right there until it gets processed. Which is why yes, you will not gain all the weight over night, but you will still gain it.

In my experience, when i eat foods that are harder for my body to digest, i don't see the effects the next day. It is usually 2-3 days later that i see the effects of the "bad" foods.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    in regards to finding out what eating 24 cupcakes in one day, minus sugar rush and queasiness, I say thee...

challenge accepted!! :drinker:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    He said that the body would not be able to process all 24 cupcakes and you would not gain as much weight.
    I've often wondered but then again it doesn't make much sense that the body can't process some food due to food timing. Assuming you don't vomit it up, the body does process it. Why would it excrete caloric matter due to an excess of it? That's what fat cells are for-- storing excess calories for later times of famine (or for between meals).
    your body only has so many enzymes that can break down food, if the amount of food coming in exceeds the amount of enzymes that can be releases withing a certain time in your digestive system some food will come through only partially digested, leaving calories unabsorbed.

think of corn going through. if it had more time in your digestive tract then you probably wouldnt see kernels in your poop, but food gets processed at a certain rate so it passes as whole for the most part
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That was my thought as well. I would applaud anyone who could eat 24 cupcakes in one day in addition to their normal food intake and keep it all inside.
    8313830014_3bd51bb357_m.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    your body only has so many enzymes that can break down food, if the amount of food coming in exceeds the amount of enzymes that can be releases withing a certain time in your digestive system some food will come through only partially digested, leaving calories unabsorbed.

think of corn going through. if it had more time in your digestive tract then you probably wouldnt see kernels in your poop, but food gets processed at a certain rate so it passes as whole for the most part
    I don't think corn being non-digested has to do with time. It has to do with non-digestible material. I think our digestive tracts can hold a lot of material, too, especially something like cupcakes that has very little bulk or fiber. Our intestines are miles long.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a kernel (lol) of truth in some calories not passing through, though.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not a believer of calorie in calories out. Not all calories are created equal, even for weight loss. I know this is what we are told, but I also know that certain foods cause blockage or damage to renal heart function and therefore will cause damage to your digestive/circulatory system and this will also lead to weight gain, and loss of anatomical function.
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

no this is false with corn.there is a difference between cupcakes (which ARE digestable just a matter of time) and corn. the shells of corn kernels are actually indigestible and don't entirely break apart when you chew either. so - and this may be gross - its not the corn you're seeing come through your body undigested. it is just the shells filled with poop.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This would make me sad because then there will be 23 days with no cupcakes.

giphy.gif