• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    81alf.jpg
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    81alf.jpg

And don't forget to chmod your BASH script to 777.
  • MadeInPhilly
    MadeInPhilly Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    book nerd here.. :)
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Haha same here. Been roleplaying (mostly text-based) for almost 20 years. Huge comic book, manga, anime fan. Spent a month in Japan for the heck of it (I was in heaven). Love my vampires, werewolves and all things fantasy!

Also, you (and any other nerd in here) should join the nerds unite group if you're not already in it.

:D

Thanks for the tip! I just joined the group.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.

Haha true... a pair of horn rimmed glasses and a couple episodes of Big Bang Theory on your DVR does not a nerd make. Now my DVR is different because I built the computer and am running a modded version of Linux as my DVR :D Also the math and comp sci degrees. And the comic book collection.
  • _errata_
    Options
    U8y5m.png
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    self as nerd:

ry%3D400

These shirts are great. Hubby and I will marathon watch Firefly on a semi-regular basis.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    self as nerd:

ry%3D400

These shirts are great. Hubby and I will marathon watch Firefly on a semi-regular basis.

haha, thanks, I'm quite proud of them, along with my scale model replica of the Serenity
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Most of the people who say they're "nerds" probably aren't. It's just cool to say you're a nerd these days. The bar is low in terms of criteria. Play video games? You can say you're a nerd (which is silly by the way because everyone in the post Nintendo generations grew up gaming). You don't even have to be smart anymore like the good old days. You don't need an odd hobby like collecting and mounting bugs.

Well aren't you fun?? I'm allowed to call myself whatever I like. I don't have to "prove" my nerdiness to anyone. I could show you my massive comic collection, all my swords, my collection of first edition toys, all the signed books I have, and my Firefly tattoo. I could tell you most of my favorite jokes are about grammar and I could tell you how high I scored on the SAT's and my GPA. But I don't have to do any of that, you know why?? Because I know what I am, and I AM proud of it, "cool" or not, it's who I am. Deal with it.

Well said! +1

(I wish I had a Firefly tattoo...I do however have a Star Wars one...)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Do geeks count because I'm one? My hubby bought me a shirt that said "I love my geek".
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just a guy that does nerdy things with other guys that do nerdy things - does that make me a pseudonerd?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Well aren't you fun?? I'm allowed to call myself whatever I like. I don't have to "prove" my nerdiness to anyone. I could show you my massive comic collection, all my swords, my collection of first edition toys, all the signed books I have, and my Firefly tattoo. I could tell you most of my favorite jokes are about grammar and I could tell you how high I scored on the SAT's and my GPA. But I don't have to do any of that, you know why?? Because I know what I am, and I AM proud of it, "cool" or not, it's who I am. Deal with it.

Well said! +1

Ooh, Firefly tattoo....now that is an awesome idea. I do have a Terry Pratchett tattoo planned for when I get back to my goal weight!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

Well said! +1

Ooh, Firefly tattoo....now that is an awesome idea. I do have a Terry Pratchett tattoo planned for when I get back to my goal weight!

Thanks! I just get riled up when people feel like you have to justify your nerdiness. My Firefly tattoo is Kaylee's umbrella and some of the lyrics to the theme song on my shoulder blade. I LOVE Terry Pratchett!! What are you getting??
  • _errata_
    Options
    791485_o.gif
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Well said! +1

Thanks! I just get riled up when people feel like you have to justify your nerdiness. My Firefly tattoo is Kaylee's umbrella and some of the lyrics to the theme song on my shoulder blade. I LOVE Terry Pratchett!! What are you getting??

Now I'm reconsidering the not ever getting a tattoo thing... I love Firefly... I even tried to watch it while it ran on Fox...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    791485_o.gif

Loved that show as a kid. :)
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    True story.

ry%3D400

It's true that I own more books than shoes. But I don't like to be labeled! I am ME!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    As the pic says...
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

My first response to this is that the idea that some people are trying to exclude others from being nerds is a genuine example of irony.

Second response is to share that I was not a nerd growing up. I was so incredibly shy, that I was the girl who sat at the "nerd table" and listened to the other kids talk about their fascinating hobbies, and wished I could be cool like them. I am jealous that my husband had friends with whom he could run D&D games, trade comics and sci-fi, etc. And apparently I'm still not cool enough to be a "real" nerd, because I joined the bandwagon when it was starting to be "cool." Luckily, I no longer give a damn.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    True story.

ry%3D400

I've seen this before, but really... There aren't really people who own more shoes than books? I mean, seriously. Just one bookshelf is more than a whole closet full of shoes.