that one healthy food you hate...

Options

Replies

• piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Zucchini

Why do people love to "hide" zucchini in dishes. "You'll never taste it" - if you hate the taste you will!! Bleh
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I really detest cucumbers.

My paternal grandmother used to make this disgusting "salad" that consisted of cucumbers, mayo and O shaped pasta. She always talked about how AMAZING the salad was, and how we couldn't make it where we were from (she lives in Wisconsin, I'm from Texas) because we didn't have the pasta rings. Then, she would put it right by me at the table, so I would smell the nasty mayo/cucumber fumes.

So, I don't know if I actually dislike cucumbers, or all my memories of food that had cucumbers are so negative, my stomach/tastebuds raised the white flag.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    No fan of carrots either...ever since i was a kid.... and cooked in the pot roast? That is the worst..... ugh..... truly nothing worse than a mushy carrot......
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Raisins.

They are the Devil's turds
  • xcursumxperficiox
    Options
    I'd rather eat roadkill than kale.
    Raisins.

They are the Devil's turds

Agreed.

Leafy greens, dried fruit, pumpkins and root vegetables (including carrots) are VILE.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I hate avocado, watermelon, brussels sprouts, onions, and sweet potatoes. Never tried kale but after this thread I'm certainly not going to. Not a fan of quinoa either, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE okra. I could definitely eat okra every day. And I only like bananas if they're still a bit green. As soon as the first brown spot appears, they're ruined.
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. I think it tastes like dirt...ick!

I'm with you Quinoa is just nasty. I also do not care for bell peppers of any color. I will eat them if included in a stir fry, but I would eat any other veggie over them.
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat roadkill than kale.

That's funny because I like Kale in some soups. I don't think it deserves the pedestal it is being put on compared to other veggies. I still like to eat it though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm picky about salad.

A big pile of lettuce with a few carrots, tomatoes, rock hard croutons, and any sort of dressing = disgusting to me. For years I used to watch my friends "diet" and the idea of all those salads just made me gag.

I only eat "salad" maybe 1-2 times a week and most times it's piled with black beans and avocado and is more of a burrito bowl than a traditional salad.

Me, too!!! I totally agree!!! Those sad salads are what reminds me most of "being on a diet", and I REFUSE!

I am so glad someone else totally gets it :-D Thank you!!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Is okra healthy? Then okra. I even dedicated a tiny portion of my user profile to showcase my hatred.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Excluding shellfish, all types of "regular" fish.

Tried them all multiple times and it just makes me want to gag.
    And what's really annoying is when you say you don't like fish, people assume it's because you've never tried it which is so untrue because I would try ANY food.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Celery and beansprouts taste like bad breath and instantly ruin any stir fry or stew.

Quinoa is bitty and gross, I have tried to get on with it, but it just hasn't worked out.

I got a biosnacky germinator one christmas to grow different types of bean sprouts, that was rank. I can't state what they tasted like, it's rude. There's no good reason for plants to taste like that.
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do not like cucumbers.
    Can handle them in small amounts mixed in salad or sandwiches if I have to but prefer not to.

Raw celery. - but cooked and in things is ok.

Watermelon - I am only person I know who dislikes this - just tastes like wet straw IMO.

Cottage cheese - cant stand lumpy texture.

Raw oysters.

Lambs fry and any other offal products.

I also pick watermelon out of fruit salads...
  • whalecb
    whalecb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tofu, eggplant and canned fish (tuna, mackerel, etc) ...... eewww
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I do not like cucumbers.
    Can handle them in small amounts mixed in salad or sandwiches if I have to but prefer not to.

Raw celery. - but cooked and in things is ok.

Watermelon - I am only person I know who dislikes this - just tastes like wet straw IMO.

Cottage cheese - cant stand lumpy texture.

Raw oysters.

Lambs fry and any other offal products.

I also pick watermelon out of fruit salads...

Ugh, watermelon. Nasty, nasty, nasty. And remember, as I mentioned upthread...I'm from the Southern US. They thought I was a mutant.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at what some people hate to eat. O: I could never imagine myself without some dishes like fruit, seafood, etc.

I'm not a raw carrot fan, and I detest okra. Yuck. Egg plant is also really gross.

+1 for me. I had it fried once, and it was edible. Barely.

I'm not a fan of raw onions. Caramelized or pickled is fine. No to most squash, with the exception of roasted butternut, acorn, or similar, like Hubbard squash.

Button mushrooms. Like chewing on an eraser when raw, and slimy when cooked. No taste other than dirt. I don't get the appeal. I do like other types of mushrooms.

ETA: Oh, and most cooked fish, especially salmon. I'm good with catfish, tilapia, cod, trout, and sea bass. Anything else, give it to me smoked or as sashimi/sushi, and I'm a happy camper.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Avocados are gross. Slimy grossness wrapped up in a bundle of gross. I also hate fresh tomatoes (but I love all tomato based products?), mushrooms taste like dirt sponges, and raw onions ruin everything they touch.

As for all y'all fish haters out there...I totally feel your pain. I hated fish FOREVER. Until I had actual freshly (like hours before) caught, grilled fish from a little roadside stand somewhere along the road to Hana on Maui. That fish changed my life. Wherever you are little fish stand, your Mahi Mahi will always be the single most delicious morsel of food to ever cross the threshold of my lips.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    canned tuna.
    I will accept it if it is fresh tuna in sushi, but otherwise I shall keep my distance.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I can't STAND mushrooms. They taste fine but the texture makes me want to vomit. I generally start involuntarily gagging as soon as I have one in my mouth, especially by accident. I don't know what it is but I can't do it even to be polite.

Milk is the other one. I can drink it in lattes but since my childhood I've hated it plain. I used to stay at the table for hours refusing to finish it after dinner and nothing has changed. I like soy/almond/rice/hemp/coconut milk but actual animal milk makes me gaggy too. I like dairy products like cheese and ice cream but I haaaaaaaaate milk.

I can eat pretty much anything else and I'm not a remotely picky eater, but mushrooms and milk are the fastest way to an involuntary barfing session.
  • mszsun
    mszsun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's more than one! I absolutely cannot stand the taste of mangoes and raw tomatoes. Without heavy seasoning, cooked egg whites just taste like crap. Canned peas, raisins, sweetcorn, over ripe bananas...
    Other than that, I can tolerate most foods. Although I think raw vegetables taste very bland. Leafy greens like spinach, I prefer cooked and seasoned. It's all about the seasoning!