Almost 10 year old daughter

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
has just asked me about how sex works. I shcluffed it and told her we'll speak later on it because it takes time to explain.

NOW WHAT?:sad: :sad:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Just tell her. Give her the basics. Better she get it from you than from someone else....
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Just tell her. Give her the basics. Better she get it from you than from someone else....

+50000

ETA: But maybe like drink a beer first. The more awkward you are telling her, the more awkward she's going to feel about receiving the info.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Reason #2 I'm glad that I have three boys.
  • borst13
    borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member
    agree with above 100% I know with my daughter I'm making sure consent is intertwined with the talk but I have no idea at what age
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Reason #5,000,000 I'm glad I don't have kids.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

So you won't tell them about sex?
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Just tell her. Better that she learns now from her parents rather than being one of those middle school kids who laughs at the mere mention of anatomical parts or the word sex.
  • jnichel

This is the best advice, IMNSHO.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    May be worth asking what prompted the question - it could be simpler than you think. Definitely talk about mutual consent and self worth, be honest, talk abou the biology and try not to euphemise
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    I'm pretty sure there's a book you can buy that they can read so it's not so awkward.
  • borst13
    borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member

lol:flowerforyou:
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member

^^This

Answer all her questions to the best of your ability without getting into specific details. Be as informative as you can be and realize that its just as uncomfortable for her as it is for you.

Good Luck!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I had three daughters. I'm sure glad my wife was there to deal with this. I just had the reverse happen to me, though. My yougest (20) had to do a Psyche Paper for College on the sexuality of the Alpha Male. She had to pick a subject and interview them for her paper.

She picked me. Very awkward interview, but I was totally honest with her. She got an A by the way.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member

And you don't think yo need to explain this to your boys?
  • jnichel

Someone has to tell me first.

No, but seriously, I would just find it too awkward with a daughter, not to mention the fact that I'm sure I'd be one of those fathers who had double standards for their sons/daughters. Might not be right, but that's just how I think I would be.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Tell her it works by magic and that she will understand better when she is older and they show it to her in school.

Then walk away and get her a cookie.

If she still has more questions, tell her you'll find out some answers and get a pen and paper out so you can write down her questions without having to look her in the eye.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    If she's old enough to ask, she's old enough to know. Tell her, then let her know that if she has ANY questions, what so ever, she should ask you and not her friends at school as they may not really know what they are talking about. She should probably be instructed to not bring it up to her them and to tell any friends who may ask HER to ask their parents instead. Good luck.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    I'm pretty sure there's a book you can buy that they can read so it's not so awkward.

Buy a book so 'they' can read?
    This is a parent's responsibility. A child asked the question the child deserve an answer..fitting for their age.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    If you don't know where to start, go to the library/bookstore, either before you see her or take her with you. There are plenty of books written for pre-teen girls on how their bodies work and how sex works, written in a way that a 10-yr old can understand. Then you can go thru it together.
    My eldest is now 11-1/2, and she got her monthlies 2 years ago, so trust me, it is better to do it now rather than later. She still thinks the whole sex thing is gross (or schnasty, as she calls it) but she understands what is going on.
    My youngest daughter is very analytical, and reads the copy of the Girls Body Book that her godmother gave her just for the information. She just wants understand what it means.
    Remember, kids don't have the secrecy/privacy hangups that adults do. They tend to want the information so they don't feel like they're the only one who doesn't get it :-). ANd I agree with DBoone85, better from you than someone who will tell her incorrect information!
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • jnichel

And you don't think yo need to explain this to your boys?

See above.