Makeover After Goal Achieved?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I’ve nearly hit my goal, I’ve purposely not brought any new clothes until I’ve hit my target weight. So at the moment everything is baggy and shapeless but that new wardrobe is a strong motivator and can’t wait to get some nice new fitted clothing.

I may also treat myself to a small new tattoo.

I have not bought anything yet either. My favorite dress shorts (maybe size 42) that fit last year but not tight fall to my feet when I put them on now and I cant wear them. All my 40 shorts and work slacks are very loose and bunch up when I tighten my belt up. I think I still have some 38 blue jeans from my skinnier days that fit nicely now. I may have to break down and buy a pair of 38 work slacks to get me thru but I want to wait and buy 36's or even 34s when I reach my goal.
  • Motofan81
    Motofan81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My deal with myself is when I hit my goal I am getting a really nice suit for once in my life. Hoping I will be able to pull off a nice slim tailored Italian cut suit.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My deal with myself is when I hit my goal I am getting a really nice suit for once in my life. Hoping I will be able to pull off a nice slim tailored Italian cut suit.

Good idea...I must have given my skinny to Goodwill thinking I would never fit in it again. I got a fat suit a few years ago and the tailor screwed up and made the pants too big and now I can't wear it. So I have no suits at all.
  • Motofan81
    Options

Good idea...I must have given my skinny to Goodwill thinking I would never fit in it again. I got a fat suit a few years ago and the tailor screwed up and made the pants too big and now I can't wear it. So I have no suits at all.

One suit here, do have a couple decent sport coats, but that one suit is getting to big now and it was a plain black $80 dollar suit from Men's Warehouse that I bought in '06 for my wedding. I got laid off a few weeks before I got married and couldn't spend a bunch of money. I was so embarrassed to be buying such a cheap suit for my own wedding that I told them I had to be in an wedding for people I didn't really like, haha. But, hey that suit has gotten me through that and a few job interviews and funerals.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think a makeover is a great idea. I would suggest that you talk to a conservatively fashionable friend or relative who could give you some suggestions and show you the ropes. I bet they would be happy to help you.

Here are some things that make a huge difference: sneakers or shoes that aren't white tennies; well fitting jeans that are darker in color, and do not have a tapered leg. It is important that your clothes fit well, and not be either too tight or too lose. Abercrombie, IMHO, is a little young. I would say go to Macys or Lord & Taylor or some other department store near you. The clothes are more adult.

You can also search for mens' fashion or establishing a man's wardrobe. There will be webpages.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tailored suit.
    Yes, do a little teeth whitening but not a lot.
    Yes, go to an upscale salon for the hair.
    If you want a tattoo, my suggestion is either your goal weight or your highest weigh just above or below your belly button. If you go with the high weight add "never again."

After the make over - get a photo shoot. Find a Boudoir Photo Studio and ask if they do men. It's a classier version of Glamour Shots.

I'm going to have my "make-over" is a national grocery store check out magazine next month. First for Women. The funny thing is there was a bit of a misunderstanding. They asked for 5 people wanting to change 5 different things. I thought I was getting all 5 things made over. So I was over due on the hair cut, coloring the gray and didn't even wash my hair before the photo shoot. They curled my hair and did my make up and dressed me up. I didn't even get to keep the clothes. My mom and I flew out to NYC to spend a weekend together for this. After the shoot she asked, "Aren't you upset that they didn't really do anything to you?" I replied, "Are you kidding? I'm so gorgeous that they couldn't do anything to make me look better."
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    What else? Oh ya, a cruise holiday!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

One suit here, do have a couple decent sport coats, but that one suit is getting to big now and it was a plain black $80 dollar suit from Men's Warehouse that I bought in '06 for my wedding. ....... But, hey that suit has gotten me through that and a few job interviews and funerals.
    [/quote]
    This^^ IMO nothing is classier and sexier than a guy in a suit (not expensive, just one that fits) OR even better - jeans and a sports coat. Dress it up with a button down shirt, or dress it down with a T-shirt or Henley. It’s classic, sexy, confident and can take you just about anywhere…. (Except maybe down the Colorado River in a raft…) Good luck!
  • Semarshman
    Semarshman Posts: 19
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone here. You need to celebrate your great success! I am guilty of ignoring and sweeping my successes under the rug. Heck, I crossed the finish line of a marathon and the race attendant put the medal arround my neck. I took it off within a minute or two because I didnt want to feel like I was showing off. I have learned since then to celebrate the heck out of the good things we achieve. If it feels good! Do it!
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think a make over for anybody who loses weight is a must! Crest whitening strips work great. I use them and constantly get complimented on my teeth/ smile.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Personally, I plan on doing a makeover myself when I reach my goal (considering I'll be off to San Diego to see my fiance graduate from boot camp). I'll be changing my hair to a nice red color, getting new clothes, nails done, teeth whitened, and anything else you can think of :)
    Makeovers are a great idea and help you feel even more confident after you reach your goal. I say whatever you want, go for it!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A makeover is a great idea.

Many upscale department stores have personal shoppers -- consider making an appointment with one. They will be able to pull out lots of clothes in your size and help you find styles that are flattering, and they'll also help you accessorize your new looks. You don't have to buy a huge amount of clothing from them; just get a few things you love, and use the time as a learning experience so you'll know what types of items to look for when you shop on your own at a less expensive store.

If you have quality items in your closet, like good suits, get recommendations for a tailor.

A haircut from a nice salon -- yes. Let your hair grow out a bit so they have more to work with. Tooth whitening, yes, but you can do that with products at home. (The trays you fill with gel are good.) And I'd add to your list to go to a dermatologist for a skin care consult and a facial. You've earned it!
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks. My teeth aren't yellow but they aren't movie star white either. Not sure I'd get a tattoo - I am boring accountant but who knows.

Are you a hair stylist? I would love some ideas. I could send you a pic.
    [/quote]

I am a boring accountant with two tattoos. lol

You do not need to spend money of teeth whitening, here's a little known remedy: mix a paste of baking soda and peroxide and brush with this everyday until you get the whitening you desire. It tastes terrible! Make sure you do not swallow. I use it once a week to maintain. I asked my dentist and he said this is safe, and it is great for your gum health too!
  • Motofan81
    Options
    Oh and just for day-to-day regular clothes for a complete new warddrobe, I feel like, once you get over 30 or so (and obviously my personal style is creeping in here), stuff like Columbia, Mountain Khacki, Arc'teryx, Kuhl, Patagonia, Southern Marsh, Filson, Orvis, and Barbour make more sense than Abercrombie, Gap, Hollister, etc.

They are all outdoorsy brands so they tend to have athletic cuts but all make clothes that don't necessarily make you look like you are going rock climbing (some like Southern Marsh so some really nice classic preppy dress shirts) and work for the workplace, date, etc. To me they project a more grown up, sleeves rolled-up but professional feel without getting to the point of stuffy or flat out dressy. Sure they can get expensive but they will last as they are well made (muuuch better than Abercrombie and such from the mall), though Columbia can be had for good prices without giving up too much quality.

Saying that I am also a sucker for some Ralph Lauren chino's (oooh, or even better, some seersuckers) in loud colors.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do what Tom & Donna say on Parks and Rec...TREAT YO SELF! When you hit your goal weight you should absolutely reward yourself for all your hard work! :smile:

1) As far as clothes are concerned, I'd try to avoid the 'trendy' type stores. Nobody likes seeing the guy walking around in an Ed Hardy tshirt and bedazzled jeans. Go for classic, Banana Republic, J. Crew, heck...go to Dillards and have someone help you. Nordstrom Rack is great too. I'd def say go for a classic tailored suit, nothing makes a guy look better.

2) There are LOTS of salons that also cater to men! I'm not sure where you're located but there are a lot out there. I know in the Northeast Ohio area (and in Chicago as well) Ladies & Gentlemen is an awesome salon. Def grow your hair out a bit so they have more to work with and let your stylist know that you're looking for a fresh look. Nothing wrong with bringing in picture examples :smile:

3) I'm an engineer with tattoos...who says what you do for a living dictates if you get inked or not? I'd say get a tattoo for the right reasons. Don't just get one just to get one. If theres something that means a lot to you that you'd like to have put on your new rockin bod...go for it.

4) Teeth whitening...if you're happy with your smile, keep doing what you're doing. But if you're not happy about it and what them a few shades whiter, I honestly don't see a reason to wait on this. A brilliant smile makes or breaks a guy for me and having a happy healthy smile is SUCH a confidence booster. Colgate Optic White is the business for maintaining that new smile.

Most importantly...post pics!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!