13»

Replies

• krispinator
    krispinator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to your posts too!!
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    I totally agree with the fact that you don't need exercise at the beginning but just a calorie deficit, in fact I didn't exercise at ALL until I had lost OVER 70 of the 150 that I had to lose. The calorie deficit was the key for me during that time. Gosh, just getting around my DAY with that much weight was exercise enough! =) And I DID just run a marathon in April in Paris, my first FULL marathon EVER, I never would have DREAMED of that until I WAS a healthy weight! =)
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The very first step on a journey is just deciding to take the journey, so your first step is done! Congrats! Good decision!

I have two responses to what you've said. First, I don't know if you realize it, but exercise isn't actually necessary to lose weight: a calorie deficit is all that is necessary. Period. That simply means eating less than you burn each day. If you don't exercise, you don't burn as much, so you simply eat a little less. But also, second, not only does exercise let you eat more since you're burning more, but it also improves your mood. Studies have shown it to be at least as effective as antidepressants, with fewer negative side effects, and fewer relapses. So, tracking calories should be your first priority, and you can do that even if you decided not to exercise...but exercising will have all sorts of benefits over and above that.

There are quite a few people on here who have lost more than 100 lbs, so you are in good company. You might look through some of the success stories and see some amazing before and after photos, and know that you'll be posting one of those threads someday. :flowerforyou:

I agree completely! Congratulations for starting the journey! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • heidi_drc
    heidi_drc Posts: 11
    Options
    THANK YOU :)
    :smooched:
    Hello!
    I have Bipolar Disorder (Type 1) so I know exactly what you're going through. When I was first diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, I was 14 - which is when I was gaining weight at a pretty rapid weight. Unfortunately, endless medication exacerbated the issue for me (Fluoxetine, Quetipaine, Risperidone, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Sertraline, Citalopram, Propanalol, other benzodiazepines and sedatives of which I can't remember because they were used against my will during psychiatric ward admissions).

Luckily, I've found that Fluoxetine, Sertraline and Citalopram didn't cause much weight gain (if any) and that was in fact caused by a lack of motivation to do anything and a close friend in fattening foods. Who needs to get out of bed and cook a meal when they have a cupboard full of chocolates and cakes? Your medication may, however, be a contributing factor - discuss this with the doctor or psychiatrist that prescribed your medication.

If you're still lacking motivation to the extreme of not really wanting to do much at all, your medication obviously isn't helping and therefore you may need a higher dose, different medication and/or therapy (CBT, DBT, Counselling, Mindfulness etc) in addition to any medication you may be taking.

Next you need to find a form of exercise that suits you. It doesn't necessarily have to be high-intensity cardio, but walking at a moderate speed for an hour or partaking in some form of Yoga can be beneficial in terms of both burning calories and boosting your mood (exercise releases endorphins and I always feel better after a bit of exercise). I find Yoga to be quite relaxing. When I lost 7 stone before my most recent relapse into a psychotic manic episode, followed by a depressive episode, I did it by simply eating healthily, walking and doing medium-low intensity short workouts at home.

You need to get into the mindset of realising that exercise can be both fun and beneficial to your mental state. The more physically fit and active you are, the more your mind benefits from the hormones and chemicals released by the physical activity.

As others have said, losing weight isn't all about exercise. Making healthier choices in your eating habits is a huge change which can also increase your mental Wellbeing along with your physical Wellbeing. To lose weight you need a 'calorie deficit' - you need to burn more calories than you consume. The amount calories you need to consume is based on your BMR, activity levels and any exercise you may do.

I said earlier on in this post about doing an hour of walking. Well, it doesn't even need to be that long. Start by going for a short 15 minute walk every day and slowly build it up. Eventually you'll find that you're actually enjoying walking and you'll most likely WANT to increase how long you walk, along with increasing the pace. You don't need to run a marathon, at all. Just start off slowly and you will be burning calories, even though it won't be a huge amount. I'll repeat: combine this exercise with a healthy diet.

You'll notice that once you start eating healthier and exercising, the low periods caused by Depression won't be so low and you'll have positives to focus on - increased cardio performance, weight loss, healthier eating and discovering tasty yet healthy foods.
    [/quote]
  • heidi_drc
    Options
    I am completely humbled by all of your comments and support. I cannot even tell you how great it is to get support and encouragement like this when I dont even get this from most of my family and friends. Looks like I have encouragement and I am loving it. Thank you all so very much and please feel free to find me on facebook as well Heidi Bennett D'Arcy. Would love to hear from each of you!
    Thanks again, Heidi:heart:
  • heidi_drc
    Options
    Hello!
    I have Bipolar Disorder (Type 1) so I know exactly what you're going through. When I was first diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, I was 14 - which is when I was gaining weight at a pretty rapid weight. Unfortunately, endless medication exacerbated the issue for me (Fluoxetine, Quetipaine, Risperidone, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Sertraline, Citalopram, Propanalol, other benzodiazepines and sedatives of which I can't remember because they were used against my will during psychiatric ward admissions).

Luckily, I've found that Fluoxetine, Sertraline and Citalopram didn't cause much weight gain (if any) and that was in fact caused by a lack of motivation to do anything and a close friend in fattening foods. Who needs to get out of bed and cook a meal when they have a cupboard full of chocolates and cakes? Your medication may, however, be a contributing factor - discuss this with the doctor or psychiatrist that prescribed your medication.

If you're still lacking motivation to the extreme of not really wanting to do much at all, your medication obviously isn't helping and therefore you may need a higher dose, different medication and/or therapy (CBT, DBT, Counselling, Mindfulness etc) in addition to any medication you may be taking.

Next you need to find a form of exercise that suits you. It doesn't necessarily have to be high-intensity cardio, but walking at a moderate speed for an hour or partaking in some form of Yoga can be beneficial in terms of both burning calories and boosting your mood (exercise releases endorphins and I always feel better after a bit of exercise). I find Yoga to be quite relaxing. When I lost 7 stone before my most recent relapse into a psychotic manic episode, followed by a depressive episode, I did it by simply eating healthily, walking and doing medium-low intensity short workouts at home.

You need to get into the mindset of realising that exercise can be both fun and beneficial to your mental state. The more physically fit and active you are, the more your mind benefits from the hormones and chemicals released by the physical activity.

As others have said, losing weight isn't all about exercise. Making healthier choices in your eating habits is a huge change which can also increase your mental Wellbeing along with your physical Wellbeing. To lose weight you need a 'calorie deficit' - you need to burn more calories than you consume. The amount calories you need to consume is based on your BMR, activity levels and any exercise you may do.

I said earlier on in this post about doing an hour of walking. Well, it doesn't even need to be that long. Start by going for a short 15 minute walk every day and slowly build it up. Eventually you'll find that you're actually enjoying walking and you'll most likely WANT to increase how long you walk, along with increasing the pace. You don't need to run a marathon, at all. Just start off slowly and you will be burning calories, even though it won't be a huge amount. I'll repeat: combine this exercise with a healthy diet.

You'll notice that once you start eating healthier and exercising, the low periods caused by Depression won't be so low and you'll have positives to focus on - increased cardio performance, weight loss, healthier eating and discovering tasty yet healthy foods.
    Thank you so very much!
  • yvonneangelgoh
    yvonneangelgoh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I am also just starting out. It is in fact day 17 for me. Haven't been east to squeeze in the extra time to practice yoga and job, not to mentioned sacrifice precious meal time with my husband. Just remember to persevere on! you can do it. Just keep going. Even if you take 4 steps forward and 1 step back, slowly but surely u will get there.
  • ScoobyM34
    ScoobyM34 Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you're in. Just keep trucking and hopefully tomorrow will be better!
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Been there too! Everyone else has said it all. All I can say is, I couldn't do this while I was depressed. I fixed that problem first, and now I'm getting healthy. But that is just me, and this doesn't apply to everyone.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The very first step on a journey is just deciding to take the journey, so your first step is done! Congrats! Good decision!

I have two responses to what you've said. First, I don't know if you realize it, but exercise isn't actually necessary to lose weight: a calorie deficit is all that is necessary. Period. That simply means eating less than you burn each day. If you don't exercise, you don't burn as much, so you simply eat a little less. But also, second, not only does exercise let you eat more since you're burning more, but it also improves your mood. Studies have shown it to be at least as effective as antidepressants, with fewer negative side effects, and fewer relapses. So, tracking calories should be your first priority, and you can do that even if you decided not to exercise...but exercising will have all sorts of benefits over and above that.

There are quite a few people on here who have lost more than 100 lbs, so you are in good company. You might look through some of the success stories and see some amazing before and after photos, and know that you'll be posting one of those threads someday. :flowerforyou:

This is such good advice. I've been trying to drop about 50-60lbs the past few years and started exercising regularly in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Each year I would only lose 10 lbs and put it back on in the more inactive time for me in the winter. Calorie intake is the more important and easier to adjust part of the equation! Much easier to resist eating that slice of cake after dinner or getting that plate of leftovers at 9pm than it is to run for an hour to make up for it!

Get some regular exercise in there, but get control of your diet habits first and foremost....MFP is a great tool for that.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump. Too late to read everything but I know how you feel.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can hear in your post that you're disappointed with your body. But really, I think you might be amazed if you think about it... in the decade since high school you have created and given birth to 4 human beings!!! Now that's an amazing and strong body!! And mothering them is a whole other level of superhero strength. Great to hear you're under care for the depression, keep after it! And fabulous that you want to get healthy. I agree with the others, even just a walk around the block would be exercise enough to help fight the depression and put you squarely on the path to a healthier lifestyle. But you know you best, if weight loss will be the best first step to make things better for you then all you really need to do is start carefully logging. Make sure you're eating appropriately sized portions of those healthy choices you already make and you'll see a difference on the scale very soon. Very best wishes for your good health and success on this journey :smile:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you actually want to exercise to create a bigger calorie deficit, and you have a smart phone or other mobile device, try downloading an app like runkeeper or something similar, then set it to "no workout" and start walking or running until you don't feel like it anymore...then look at the calories burned by doing that for even 5 minutes. I, too, have depression and anxiety,and i have noticed that regular exercise actually helps my moods by quite a bit. I also sleep better.

But people who are saying exercise is unnecessary are correct. Logging and measuring and weighing foods you eat is a great start. When i log stuff, i do it before i eat it. If i don't like the calorie count i see, i swap it out for something lower-calorie. It took me awhile, but i generally know now what foods are calorie-dense but will still leave me hungry in an hour vs what foods will fill me up.

But yeah, i understand the mindset of not exercising if you're not going big. But getting something going and then tracking the calories it burns is a great way to see the difference that tiny amounts of exercise make. Then, you eventually find yourself able and willing to exercise more, because it makes you feel good. :D it's worth a shot. I'm 34 with 2 kids and packed on 80 lbs after my second kid in about 4 years. I know the boat you're in, and what finally kicked me into gear to lose weight was seeing that even the clothes i already owned were getting right (probably just water weight, but it still kicked me into gear)

Good luck!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You have received wonderful advice and support. My depression started before puberty. After puberty came insomnia. I'd sleep only 3 hours a night in summer and didn't have my periods. Chemical imbalance in the brain and body is a tricky business. I'm almost 50 now and haven't been on medication for 10 years. The stigma of depression is less than it used to be but it is still there - especially with friends and family. When I first went on antidepressants it was as a Guinea Pig in a clinical trial because I was afraid of having depression on my permanent record. It could have easily prevented me from getting a new job or new insurance. By being in the clinical trial I was anonymous.

How I finally got off all meds was getting off of carbs and sugar and exercising. I started studying the brain and body. I was on a high dose of a trial medication that made me a little too happy. I started writing this crazy diet book between laps in the pool. Then the clinical trial ended and the medication was not approved by the FDA. But because of my eating and exercise I didn't need to get on other antidepressants. Now 10 years later, all the stuff I was making up as a way to lose weight has been scientifically proven.

Here are two excerpts:

Exer-Slim #1 - Jump 2 minutes a day

I got out of bed and did jumping jacks. I stood in the bedroom waiting for the digital clock to change. The last time I did jumping jacks was in some aerobics class 15 years ago. They wanted me to “spread those legs”. Oh come on, quit pushing me at least I’m doing it. Forget how well I’m doing it, the fact is it’s happening. Oh man, am I out of shape. I can’t even do it for a full minute.

Oh well, tomorrow’s another day and 2 minutes is just a goal I’m trying to achieve. Maybe start with 20 seconds the first day and add 20 seconds per day.

Exer-Slim #2 - Laugh 2 minutes a day

I want you to say, this is the most fun I’ve ever had on a diet. This silly Exer-slim is for 2 minutes a day. I want you to laugh. I don’t mean listen to some good jokes or watch a funny sit-com. I mean, “Time to do my exer-slimming.” Time yourself and laugh like Santa Claus.

This is the opposite of most exercising tasks. Most exercises start out easy, then you get worn out and it gets harder until it hurts.

Apparently that’s not true for people who enjoy exercise – or so they tell me.
    They claim after about 20 minutes they feel better, the endorphins have kicked in and it gets easier. I think I’m endorphin deficient. The longer I do it, the more I hate it. I don’t have the best attitude about working out, do I.

But this exer-slim is not an easy one at first. Forcing yourself to laugh is very strange. The first 30 seconds are the hardest. Then you start to feel ridiculous and it’s funny. Now you’re not forcing yourself to laugh anymore. You’re laughing at yourself. Two minutes is a long time, the longer you are doing it the more ridiculous it is.

I started laughing harder when my dog came over and looked at me, “What’s so funny?” Ok, maybe I just found some of those endorphins.

If you can find a buddy, it should be even funnier. My sister and I have been known to just get into these contagious laughing fits where we can’t even look at each other without laughing. I want you to literally laugh until it hurts. Feel the burn.

Diary of a Fat Female
    http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Fat-Female-ebook/dp/B007USYCN6/ref=la_B00668X8MC_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381963429&sr=1-2

Please mention this post when friending me.
    Ruth