Anyone with PCOS and/or Diabetes?

Options
2»

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. I have severe PCOS. I've been following a ketogenic lifestyle (high fat, low carb, moderate protein) since March with more success than any other "diet" my entire life. You don't need to eat all meat, you can even follow keto if you are a vegetarian. Here is some recommended reading; feel free to add me if you'd like. :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/
    http://rebootedbody.com/ketosis/
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOgxLJy3Txl5hdzBYfUEJlpTggNcoNnPv7pqLGya1h0/edit
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I do not follow low carb. I have lost 62 lbs. I have regular 30 day periods and am now accidentally pregnant.
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have T2 Diabetes and my doc told me I had to do something or go on insulin. In the last 3 or so months I have stopped eating bread and pasta (pretty much all gluten) - started walking daily and eating healthier. I have lost 15 pounds and just went to my doctors and my A1C has dropped from a 10.8 to a 6.6. He was very proud of me. Oh and I also started taking Turmeric, Sugar Balance Vitamins and Cinnamon pills every night. I enjoy lower carb. Add me if you want, I like to try different recipes and will let you know. I have recently mastered the cauliflower pizza and am loving philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers :)
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback everyone. It's greatly appreciated!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    pinupgal123...80 g of carbs a day is LOW CARB. If you are not losing, it may be too high for YOU. It also depends on what those carbs are. If they are soda and candy, you can probably forget about losing weight. Your low carb options aren't just meat, cheese, nuts, etc. There is a whole world of colorful vegetables, low carb berries, full fat dairy, and smaller portions of meats. You can also eat tofu, if soy doesn't interrupt your hormones. Considering PCOS is a hormonal issue, I'd ask your endocrinologist about eating soy products. They may help, they may hinder.

Also, I get really frustrated when people on these boards think they know what the Atkins diet is by saying it is NO CARB. It is not NO CARB. It is very low carb in the first two weeks, IF you do Induction. You don't have to. You can start in Phase II, Ongoing Weightloss. Atkins allows you to go through 4 phases, increasing your NET carb intake by 5 grams a week until you stop losing. This is your Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CLL). Then when you are at goal, you go into Phase 4, Maintenance, whereby you push your carbs up little by little until you start gaining. You then have a target range of NET carbs to aim for to maintain your new weight. It is not hard to follow Atkins at all. It is a very satisfying way of eating. And if you have sugar cravings, it is a very effective way to stop them in their tracks.

It will also allow your body to use stored fat for energy, which is what we are trying to do, yes? Not just lose weight, but lose Fat. If you eat too many carbs, your body will not touch your fat stores at all. You have to burn off your glycogen (from carb intake) before it will oxidize stored fat or dietary fat. If you are already at goal weight, you would only need to maintain that weight, and would be able to eat more carbs.

Best thing I can suggest is to talk to your endocrinologist about it and get a referral to a nutritionist experienced with PCOS and/or diabetes and/or insulin resistance. Then embark on a journey and see if it works. If it doesn't try again.

Best wishes.
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    pinupgal123...80 g of carbs a day is LOW CARB. If you are not losing, it may be too high for YOU. It also depends on what those carbs are. If they are soda and candy, you can probably forget about losing weight. Your low carb options aren't just meat, cheese, nuts, etc. There is a whole world of colorful vegetables, low carb berries, full fat dairy, and smaller portions of meats. You can also eat tofu, if soy doesn't interrupt your hormones. Considering PCOS is a hormonal issue, I'd ask your endocrinologist about eating soy products. They may help, they may hinder.

Also, I get really frustrated when people on these boards think they know what the Atkins diet is by saying it is NO CARB. It is not NO CARB. It is very low carb in the first two weeks, IF you do Induction. You don't have to. You can start in Phase II, Ongoing Weightloss. Atkins allows you to go through 4 phases, increasing your NET carb intake by 5 grams a week until you stop losing. This is your Carbohydrate Level for Losing (CLL). Then when you are at goal, you go into Phase 4, Maintenance, whereby you push your carbs up little by little until you start gaining. You then have a target range of NET carbs to aim for to maintain your new weight. It is not hard to follow Atkins at all. It is a very satisfying way of eating. And if you have sugar cravings, it is a very effective way to stop them in their tracks.

It will also allow your body to use stored fat for energy, which is what we are trying to do, yes? Not just lose weight, but lose Fat. If you eat too many carbs, your body will not touch your fat stores at all. You have to burn off your glycogen (from carb intake) before it will oxidize stored fat or dietary fat. If you are already at goal weight, you would only need to maintain that weight, and would be able to eat more carbs.

Best thing I can suggest is to talk to your endocrinologist about it and get a referral to a nutritionist experienced with PCOS and/or diabetes and/or insulin resistance. Then embark on a journey and see if it works. If it doesn't try again.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much. I've only been at it a little more than a week and I've lost 2 lbs. I know I'm doing what's considered "low carb" but I won't lie, I miss them. Not so much the sweets but a sandwich, banana, etc. I'm completely controlling it with my food and these things tend to spike it. I guess I just have to live with it. Hopefully when I get the weight down I can start to incorporate those back in. Thanks again for your advice. :)
  • awak3ned
    awak3ned Posts: 64
    Options
    I have PCOS/Insulin resistance and I'm not on any "special" diet. I eat what I want and watch the portions...and I've lost weight.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've got PCOS and was borderline. When they first put me on Metformalin I lost 67lbs and got pregnant at 39. That was watching my sugar intake and eating less white pasta/rices the refined stuff. LOL the pregnancy just a surprise. Now that daughter's almost 3. I'm actually pretty happy with my 40 year old body right now. My cholesterol's too high though and the doctor's want me to take statin drugs :(
    ** ( In my case my sugar's good usually around 87 in the morning).
    I love my carbs. Just started using the app so only lost 5lbs in 8days so far. I really don't like the wheat pasta/rice. So I've been eating the Ronzoni Smart Sense Pastas. Can't eat a lot of nuts or peanut butter gives me cramps. I haven't changed my intakes at this point. Question? ...Are you having normal cycles without medication? I know I went two years without a cycle before I was finally diagnosed. I know with me I've always been irregular unless on birth control or metformalin. The testosterone seemed to be my biggest problem. Had even been misdiagnosed as bi-polar at one point.
    Sorry this probably didn't help you too much. Just curious. Good luck
  • pinupgal123
    Options
    I've got PCOS and was borderline. When they first put me on Metformalin I lost 67lbs and got pregnant at 39. That was watching my sugar intake and eating less white pasta/rices the refined stuff. LOL the pregnancy just a surprise. Now that daughter's almost 3. I'm actually pretty happy with my 40 year old body right now. My cholesterol's too high though and the doctor's want me to take statin drugs :(
    ** ( In my case my sugar's good usually around 87 in the morning).
    I love my carbs. Just started using the app so only lost 5lbs in 8days so far. I really don't like the wheat pasta/rice. So I've been eating the Ronzoni Smart Sense Pastas. Can't eat a lot of nuts or peanut butter gives me cramps. I haven't changed my intakes at this point. Question? ...Are you having normal cycles without medication? I know I went two years without a cycle before I was finally diagnosed. I know with me I've always been irregular unless on birth control or metformalin. The testosterone seemed to be my biggest problem. Had even been misdiagnosed as bi-polar at one point.
    Sorry this probably didn't help you too much. Just curious. Good luck

Thanks for your input. :) I have been on BC since I was 15 because of the PCOS so I'm not sure if I will have regular cycles. The one time I did stop taking them I got pregnant right away. I'm not on metformin since I can control it with diet. It just stinks, lol. And P.S. 5 lbs in 8 days is amazing!
  • betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS

Low carbs works, or change from white pasta etc.. to brown which helps.

I've lost 30lbs/14kg in total i have started introducing carbs slowly and try not to eat to often or at night but easier said than done. I start on the cambrodge diet weight plan which is vlcd and no carbs so hence the weight loss.