That has how many calories???

Options
MN4US
MN4US Posts: 78 Member
I just thought I'd share my horror at discovering how many calories were in my lunch!

Went out for lunch with my colleagues and ordered this:

Chicken Katsu Curry with rice, from Wasabi (UK).. Came in at over 1,100 calories :noway: :noway: :noway:

For a tiny box of rice and chicken?! Soup for dinner for me.. :cry:

Has anyone else had a moment like this recently? Shock calorie discoveries?
Learnt my lesson to look up calories BEFORE I go out to eat.

Replies

• bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was at Lone Star (US Chain steakhouse) and my meal came a salad or lettuce wedge. I went with the lettuce wedge, but substituted balsamic for the blue cheese.

Turns out that even without any dressing the wedge of lettuce weighed in at about 400 calories!!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    pretty much every time i go out to eat this happens. portions are always way too big and it seems like its impossible to buy a meal that has a decently low calorie density
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got taken out by a potential new supplier and we went to wagamamas, I had the chicken bang bang, it was only chicken a bit of rice, green beans and chillies, it was 1135 cals, I nearly died when I realized. it was a very light meal for me that night, however I did enjoy the dish, but it just goes to show how that calories can be hidden
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's sausage, cheese, and egg crossiant from Dunkin Donuts was a whopping 748cal for me. McDonald's egg McMuffin doesn't even have that much! I was floored and guilty to say the least, lol.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    pretty much every time i go out to eat this happens. portions are always way too big and it seems like its impossible to buy a meal that has a decently low calorie density
    I find it best to mentally divide most portions served at restaurants into two servings; I know some folks ask for the 'doggy bag' as they order the food in order to help themselves with portion control.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    that bang bang stuff is so good but def the devil, the sauce is typically mayo based.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yes :( I bought a little bag of Reese's minis and thought, ok yeah this will be bad, but not THAT bad (sorry I used weight watchers at the time) so I figured it would be 7 - 10 points out of my daily 26 allowance. A typical whole chocolate bar is around 7 points. But when I entered it into the site after eating it it was 19 points (which is roughly 1000 cals)! D: Which meant I went WAY over for that day and I'd already used all those flex points.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I find it best to mentally divide most portions served at restaurants into two servings; I know some folks ask for the 'doggy bag' as they order the food in order to help themselves with portion control.
    yep thats exactly what i do too, but its physical not mental, i split my food into 2 portions on my plate and wrap the rest up once im done. that way if im still really hungry eating the full meal is always an option but i dont think thats come up yet
  • cczap80
    cczap80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to a restaurant that I know is a Chain restaurant, I try to do my homework first. I look up the website and see if they have nutritional information. That way I can plan my meal in advance and try to reduce as many calories as possible. Isn't always applicable but I say try if you can!
  • kspae001
    kspae001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband enjoys going out to eat. So I've learned to look up calories before hand to decide my plan on ordering. A lot of times I will ask for a to go box with the meal and just cut in half. That way I can thoroughly enjoy my meal and know that I will not over eat or be tempted to either.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Many times I will try to look it up before I order it... or, if I order it I check the web site with my smart-phone and see if I should ask for a carry-out container with the meal so I can divide it before I start eating. Of course if it's local it's harder to do. Unless you know, it is a pretty good practice to just divide it in half.

My devil is at mexican where they keep bring chips and salsa.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes. A Taste of Thai Peanut Noodles. I misread and thought it was 370 for the whole box. The box was two servings, at 750 total for the bitty container. So won't be having those again for a while !
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was at Lone Star (US Chain steakhouse) and my meal came a salad or lettuce wedge. I went with the lettuce wedge, but substituted balsamic for the blue cheese.

Turns out that even without any dressing the wedge of lettuce weighed in at about 400 calories!!

Really? What was on it besides lettuce??
  • kisstheheavens
    kisstheheavens Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i LOVE archer farms trail mix (Carmel Cashew) from Target and the individual packs that they sell is about 1 cup . WELL i actually read the label is it said 200 cal per 1/4 cup!!!!!!! !!! WHAT! 700 calories for 1 cup of trailmix!!! :noway:
    ive been eating 600 calories MORE than i thought i was!! :explode:

ugghhhh guess i have to give up my favorite trailmix. !! :sad:
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to a restaurant that I know is a Chain restaurant, I try to do my homework first. I look up the website and see if they have nutritional information. That way I can plan my meal in advance and try to reduce as many calories as possible. Isn't always applicable but I say try if you can!

^this.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My devil is at mexican where they keep bring chips and salsa.

^^^ This for sure, especially if you get queso dip!
  • kstandley123
    kstandley123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've had that happen a couple time now. That's why I try to input the food into MFP before I eat it so I can substitute something out if it busts my numbers. I also try to go to places like Chili's or Apple Bee's because I know they have "lite and fit" menu options and show the cals right on the menu.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat, I just accept the fact that I'm probably consuming a lot more calories than I could estimate and I just enjoy my meal. I don't eat like that everyday so it's nbd.

The day before yesterday, I had a round egg biscuit from McDonald's and a hash brown, both of which were fairly small portions of food and it came out to 540 calories or something. Couldn't help but think damn, I could've had a lot more food than this and of better quality for the amount calories I just consumed.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My wife and I frequently go out to an Indian food restaurant and share our meals. The chicken curry or the chicken bryani can be a lot of calories but if we share an entree it's not so bad.

This isn't always the case, but I've found with Indian restaurants that the portion sizes tend to be wayyyyy too big, and in the past I would stuff myself silly. Now I share the meal and I am very satisfied by the end, and my diary doesn't look too bad at the end.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've learned over this process to not worry about calories in resturant food. I rarely eat out (so its easy for me not to worry), so it gets to be a treat for me and I can enjoy myself. That being said, I used to love Pei Wei Asian Bistro, until I found out my favorite dish, Vietnamese chicken salad rolls, 3, were almost 600 calories. Nothing fried, no heavy sauces, mostly veggies and very little chicken and that's light considering how many calories are in their other dishes.