Does 20-30 minutes of cardio really work?

Options

Replies

• jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 7 years ago, and I managed to lose 50lbs in 9 months by walking 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, and limiting my carb intake to less than 150g a day.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It will get you really good at doing that activity for 20 to 30 minutes. :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't, then I must have been exercising in my sleep. :tongue:

by the way, you don't exercise to lose weight, you eat right to lose weight, you exercise to become healthy and maintain your lean tissue mass. If your focus is losing weight, make sure you understand, you could exercise all day, but if you eat crap, and eat to much of it, you'll still gain fat.

This has been my experience!!!
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think, in terms of weight loss, diet and strength training are the best and most efficient ways to burn fat. HOWEVER, it is short sighted to only focus on cardio as a means to lose weight. While it does provide some calorie burn, especially if you do circuit training...keep your metabolism on its toes, I think it is VERY important to do cardio for fitness reasons...better health, more endurance.
  • njadh51
    njadh51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info from everyone...but as has already been said by a few people, consider adding 30 min of weight training. That way your muscles will continue to burn calories after when you're at rest. Your quads are the big muscles that will burn the most. Weight training, HIIT, CrossFit are all programs to look at
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It helped me lose a few pounds....all of them :huh:
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training is great for shorter workouts - I'm a fan of it..

To answer your question, yes. 20-30 minutes is good and much better than nothing but ^^^THIS is def what I would say.
  • johnpeter123
    Options
    yes sure
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Regardless of the reason why you want to do cardio it is beneficial. If you can only manage 20/30 minutes a day it is a great start. As days go by you will be able to intensify your cardio.

I prefer to do cardio one day and strenght training on the following day, I do 7 days a week alternating, for me it works and I feel energized. I akso vary the type of cardio to prevent boredom and the same for the strenght training.

Best of luck
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what exactly is cardio is it a long walk count? or jogging or running at 75% max HR?

I like to do long hill walks (3-3:30 Hrs) as much for mental health as any physical benefits is that cardio?
  • MeganNicoleCee
    Options
    Hi there!

Technically yes any amount of exercise is going to give you some health benefits. From a losing weight standpoint however your body will burn primarily carbohydrates in the first 20 minutes- it is not until well past that point that your body will switch to burning fat as a fuel source.

My recommendation is if you're new to exercise then it's best to start small and build up to avoid injury. If you've already been exercising then most definitely stick to 30 mins + as often as you can.

Best of Luck!
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    T25
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone does a Cardio Walking DVD that I just love and I have never sweat so much in my life! 2 miles with warm up and cool down takes 3 minutes - my commitment is that next week, I will do it twice!

Fantastic!

Kaela x
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    20 to 30 minutes is always better than 0 minutes...
  • MeganNicoleCee
    Options
    I'm wondering what exactly is cardio is it a long walk count? or jogging or running at 75% max HR?

I like to do long hill walks (3-3:30 Hrs) as much for mental health as any physical benefits is that cardio?

Like I said earlier any sort of physical activity is going to be beneficial- you're already lapping everyone on the couch! As far as what is considered cardio that's a harder question to answer. Running or jogging at 75% of your max HR while a good thought is hard to accurately execute. Typically max HR can be determined in a number of different ways according to ACSM guidelines but can be roughly estimated by 220- Age (ex: 41 yr old male, 220-41= 179 bpm).

However there are numerous factors that play into what your max HR truly is, for instance your weight, age, gender, physical fitness the list goes on. Not to mention that most people don't necessarily have the equipment on hand while they're running or doing other cardio exercises to measure their own Heart rate.On a treadmill sure they have the HR monitor items but they don't take all factors into account. And especially with it being summer your heart rate is going to naturally increase when running in the heat- Making it more difficult to access whether or not you're in your target heart range.

Sorry this is so long but maybe it'll help someone :flowerforyou:
  • mrshilderley
    Options
    I truly believe that every little bit helps! and according to health units 20-30 minutes of physical activity is good for healthy living.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ok, need to put this into perspective.

In general, 20-30 minutes of anything is better than 20-30 minutes of nothing. Cardio offers great health benefits for your heart and body especially if you work at a target heart rate appropriate for your age, gender and fitness level.

For weight loss, 20-30 minutes of cardio really does work "if" you are still eating at a calorie deficit. You can lose weight not exercising at all, 20-30 minutes of cardio will just make that easier. Be very careful though, fitness pal tends to over-estimate calories burnt during exercise so if you eat back your calories burned exercise you run the risk of going over your actual calories burnt. Fitness pal is an estimate at best and not a great one.

two tips, get a heart rate monitor or at least use a machine that has a sensor attached. Choose a cardio setting that adjusts the difficulty based on your heart rate, great workout. 2nd tip, if you do end up using MFP's estimates, I'd cut the calorie amounts in half to be safe. Worse case scenario you under-estimate the calories burnt and just add a little extra to your deficit.
  • loomatic
    loomatic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sweetness, you should look at what MFP is telling you to eat in terms of proteins, fats and other nutrients. What you sketched out for what you're eating looks like it's lacking in protein. When you say you want to tone, what you're really saying is you want to build some lean muscle, and you can't do that without protein. If your diet is too restricted, you're not going to be able to stay with it, and it just isn't healthy. Try to find foods you can eat that keep you in your calorie goal, but also help you meet your nutrition goals.