Stuff that surprises you after losing weight

Replies

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    When I went from pregnant 180s to 123lbs (17 lbs lighter than pre-pregnancy) I thought my stomach would be at least close to pre-pregnancy but I still carried more fat than I'd like in my waist. I am pregnant with baby #3 now so I will be interested to see if I can get at least a mostly flat belly after baby this time around.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    How much your aches and pains go away after you've even lost a little bit of weight! 10 pounds makes a huge difference on your body!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    My belly button seems like it's so high! Haha. I don't know if this makes since but it seems to go up when the belly gets tight.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Cold

Seeing veins sticking out of your arms

Looking at a picture of yourself and not wishing it would burn and disappear forever
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    booths, rides, theater seats, etc...they always fit. Always. That is still a foreign concept to me.

To this day, every time I approach a booth in a restaurant it looks very small to me and I think, "Ok this is the one. This is the one that is still going to be small for me and my boobs and belly will be smushed up against the table".

But it's not.

I still cringe on the way to Booth seats!!! As soon as I saw this thread I instantly thought about "fitting in booths".

You will relate to this I bet - I still do the classic "check to see if table at booth is attached to floor or not".

• backseat seat belts fitting!

Oh yeah! I totally do. For a brief time between divorcing my obese ex husband and losing weight myself, I was dating my now-husband who is a normal/healthy weight and I loved those unattached tables so I could steer them toward HIM! With my ex sadly it was the opposite deal, the table usually got smooshed even more toward me when I was with him :-/
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member

Oh yeah! I totally do. For a brief time between divorcing my obese ex husband and losing weight myself, I was dating my now-husband who is a normal/healthy weight and I loved those unattached tables so I could steer them toward HIM! With my ex sadly it was the opposite deal, the table usually got smooshed even more toward me when I was with him :-/

Haha yes a thin social network - another key to booth management.

I doubt anyone who hasn't been overweight wouldn't ever even consider if a table was attached or not. For me - it was a selling feature of a restaurant.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Haha yes a thin social network - another key to booth management.

I doubt anyone who hasn't been overweight wouldn't ever even consider if a table was attached or not. For me - it was a selling feature of a restaurant.

Yep, and I also really liked restaurants that had tables ONLY.

You are so right about people who haven't been very overweight/obese not getting that. My mom's a little bit heavy now in her older years but still fairly average sized...she never understood why I would prefer a table. She never experienced that, I suppose.

At Waffle House (at least in my area) the 2 seating options are rather small booths and sitting at the counter, where I felt like my hips and bum were on special display to all. No thank you. I took like a 15 year hiatus from eating at Waffle House. Although now that I have returned, it's not all that good anyway ;-)
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Not really a surprise but my sex drive increased, and also my girlfriend didn't need to wake me up anymore because I was snoring.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member

3.) My knees hurt when they knock together at night because my thighs no longer stop them from touching

Hell yes!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    How long it's taking my brain to fully catch up. Sometimes I find myself thinking, "I have over a hundred pounds to lose." Then I remember it's been years since I had that much to lose!
  • veezybell
    veezybell Posts: 104 Member
    Anybody else used to have to do the "double get up"? The move where you have to rock and build momentum just to stand or roll outta bed?

Yeah, I don't do that anymore. Oh yeah, and I was playing around with my son on the monkey bars and actually busted out some dead hang pull-ups...
  • mommy22alyns
    mommy22alyns Posts: 25 Member

Another thing - those feelings that you had as a fat person don't go away, just because you're a skinny person. It still takes a lot of work inside.

This is so true. I was an "ideal" weight for a long time, gained 75 lbs in about a year, and was overweight for about 3.5 years. I'm back to where I was before, but I still feel fat.

My surprise is that the portion sizes are actually quite a lot of food and I didn't need that grande Starbucks, the tall is plenty.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Yea, the realization that is probably never see myself as thin was not anticipated. No matter how small I get I'll always see myself as sort of chubby and shy lol
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    How much your aches and pains go away after you've even lost a little bit of weight! 10 pounds makes a huge difference on your body!
    This! I was on medication for hip pain which was exacerbated by the work I do, just losing 19 pounds has helped so much that I can't remember the last time I used it. My doctor will be so happy ( and the pharmacist so sad)
  • BreeeRN
    BreeeRN Posts: 38 Member
    1. less aches and pains!
    2. able to sleep WAY BETTER
    3. i can actually feel the bones in my butt when i sit.. less cushion
    4. my shoulders are boney.. not padded!
    5. alwaysssss so cold!
    6. so much more energy = more exercise = more endorphins = HAPPY! :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    I agree with others on the cold....I'm usually always cold and bringing sweatshirts into restaurants as I go in wearing tees & shorts (I'm in Tucson, AZ, its HOT here)

That I actually am up & outside on my off days at 5 a.m to get my 10K steps in ...and after work I'm outside walking in 100° temp for >1 hr...and enjoying it.

I can't sit, my tailbone is RIGHT there now and I discovered I really do have hipbones, collar bones and ribs. And I still sleep like crap but now it's not heartburn but rolling on my bones.

The brain has NOT caught up with what I see in the mirror and the number on the scale.

Bath towels got a lot bigger.

Like others have said, the tiny pants hanging in the closet are actually mine & they fit (and i have to wear a belt!)

I no longer take meds for hypertension, high chol/lipids & type 2 and my M.D says I no longer carry the diagnoses. I never thought I'd be off all my meds, let alone dump the disases.

Seeing how much room there is now in restaurant booths-and not dreading when they lead me to that vs a table.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    I don't notice the cold more - I was already cold before losing the weight.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    My legs get nicks when I shave because there are muscles to navigate around now lol Does that make sense? Also was shocked I could buy shorts in a size 4. Still haven't seen my collarbone yet though...
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    I'm not even done losing yet but I'm shocked at how quickly I lost weight in my face. I still have a long ways to go but I'm glad to see my ACTUAL face again!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    yep, being cold. and not sweating much.

The sweating surprised me a lot.

I actually went all winter without needing deodorant. I used it most of the time, but some days I would forget because I just, didn't smell under there anymore.

My knees don't hurt anymore. Ever. They used to hurt all the time. One would even lock in place sometimes.