Is riding a bicycle exercise?

Options
MaiLinna
MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
I mean I know it sounds like a stupid question but I couldn't have burned 200 calories from sitting on this thing and riding around town for half an hour.

Also I got a bicycle as an early birthday gift. <3 I missed having one so bad. I've already lost a few pounds from making long term lifestyle changes, so I'm hoping getting off my sedentary butt like this will help too, but I feel like even though I broke a sweat I couldn't have done too much. I didn't strain at all until I rode up those hills.

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Riding is most certainly an exercise. Excercise does not neccessarily have anything to do with "straining". I could certainly beleive that you could burn 200 calories riding around for 30 minutes.
  • kunai118
    kunai118 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far you were able to go in that time 200 could be right.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    of course it is!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Well the calculators say around 5 miles, and I think it'd be accurate. My usual walk route is 1.2 miles, and I rode around that, then I rode around the town for a while, and I know it's 2.5 miles to the gym. I didn't go all the way down there, but I came back then took the long way around to get home.

So yeah, prob 5 miles or so in half an hour.
  • purple357
    purple357 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes! Anything that gets you moving and your heart rate up is exercise.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I mean I know it sounds like a stupid question but I couldn't have burned 200 calories from sitting on this thing and riding around town for half an hour.

Also I got a bicycle as an early birthday gift. <3 I missed having one so bad. I've already lost a few pounds from making long term lifestyle changes, so I'm hoping getting off my sedentary butt like this will help too, but I feel like even though I broke a sweat I couldn't have done too much. I didn't strain at all until I rode up those hills.

Totally not an exercise.

>_<

Put 3 hours in, maintaining a heart rate of 138-142, and then ask yourself that again. ;)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Totally not an exercise.

>_<

Put 3 hours in, maintaining a heart rate of 138-142, and then ask yourself that again. ;)

lol! not an exercise? you are doing it wrong...

see: "Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster. (from here: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ )"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y (warning: language)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not only is it exercise, it's the BEST exercise :)

imo.gif
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options

see: "Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster. (from here: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ )"

So true...
  • 82ndRadnee
    Options
    Cycling is a good exercise, I recently started in order to cross train instead of running all the time.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, I dropped most of my weight on a bike.

My typical ride is 60+ miles and I burn anywhere from 2500-3500 depending on hills, effort blah blah
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Totally not an exercise.

>_<

Re-read what I wrote.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is a pedal bike, and not an electric bike, yes it is a great form of exercise. I don't get out on my bike nearly enough for my liking.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    All living humans are constantly burning cals. An average number would be 50/hr while sleeping. Bigger people, higher number. Smaller people, lower number.
    You got up and moved. This ups your numbers. Once again, bigger higher, smaller lower.
    In your case, you have found a way to burn calories that is fun...hence it doesn't seem like a workout.
    Another one that works is going to the mall and trying to hit every store...or visit antique/trendy touristy row...that is a lot of walking that you don't mind doing...just don't stop in all the snack places.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is exercise.

Yes, you burned calories.

You didn't feel like you did any hard work? Go faster next time.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The sexiest guys out there are cyclists who lift.
    Just my opinion.

:love:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The sexiest guys out there are cyclists who lift.
    Just my opinion.

:love:

Thanks ;)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Totally not an exercise.

>_<

Re-read what I wrote.

ahhh....when I re-read it, adding in a sarcastic tone, I see what you were saying. Sorry 'bout that!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No. It is masochism.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Those numbers sound legit. I burn about 35 calories a mile at my current size and I'm one of those people who waits for you to check out the next aisle when I want something on the top shelf. This number came from the MFP calculator and the scale agrees with using this number even when multiplied by numbers like eighty and bigger. You probably burn more than that. Unfortunately, my lungs definitely think it's exercise and whine for more drugs if I don't keep 'em coming every four hours.