i dont want to lie

Options
every time i say i don't want something such as cake, it always seems to cause a fuss; "its just some cake, go on go on" "its not going to hurt you``' blah blah blah, so ive found the best way to do this is to say i have an allergy so its ends full stop and they realise there is no way i can have that food, so i say im lactose intolerant, but that doesnt cover all the unhealthy foods in the world and i eat a 500g pot of yoghurt a day so i don't know what to do. how do you cope with people pressurising you to eat something when you dont want to

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that people felt the need to "rescue" me from my diet. I think they felt that I was asking them to give me permission or talk me into it so that I would feel better for indulging. I wasn't and I stuck to my plan 9 times out of 10. In most cases (but not all) if you stick to just saying no thanks and don't let them pressure you, people will get the idea and back off after a while. Especially once they start to notice your success. It's annoying, but it did go away (for me, at least).
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    just say that you do not want it, no need to justify, a simple NO and change the subject. they will eventually stop offering.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    just say that you do not want it, no need to justify, a simple NO and change the subject. they will eventually stop offering.

THIS^^^ all day long!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    every time i say i don't want something such as cake, it always seems to cause a fuss; "its just some cake, go on go on" "its not going to hurt you``' blah blah blah, so ive found the best way to do this is to say i have an allergy so its ends full stop and they realise there is no way i can have that food, so i say im lactose intolerant, but that doesnt cover all the unhealthy foods in the world and i eat a 500g pot of yoghurt a day so i don't know what to do. how do you cope with people pressurising you to eat something when you dont want to

I would just ignore it, let it go and move on. If I don't want something I just say no thank you and that is the end of it.

Saying you are allergic to something when you are not, in my opinion isn't ok to do.
  • IoveIy
    IoveIy Posts: 27 Member
    Options

THIS^^^ all day long!

Totally agree. After a few refusals, they'll stop offering, and even if for some reason they don't, just keep refusing it and don't let what anyone says or thinks get in the way of what's best for you. Anyone who cares about feeding their body nutritious food will agree that cake is a no-no. You can just say that you just like to eat healthy. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you don't OWE anyone a reason as to what you DO or do NOT put in your mouth. There are a plethora of di*k jokes I"m sure that could be made with that but really just say you don't want the fu*king cake and move on.

or tell them if you want to look like them- you'll eat like them.

it's not that serious.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and 'skinny', I would say "No, thank you" which worked on everyone but family. They would always push the matter. "But your so skinny! We need to fatten you up!" I would just say I would prefer to have my fruit later. Wish I would have stuck with that once I hit 40. Now I say, "As you can see, I obviously don't need that." Works like a charm.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'm not hungry.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    No is a complete sentence.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just say "I do not want any, please stop asking." It's kind of silly to lie about that.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't lie. What happens when you do want that piece of cake but nobody offers it to you because you're "allergic?"

Lies backfire.

Just say "I really don't want it."

"It was nice to offer it to me, but I won't eat it."

"It'll just go to waste. Better to give it to someone who will eat it because I just hate wasting food."

Say more than no. Say you aren't going to eat it.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't need to lie about it -- it's not that big of a deal. Just tell them no. If you're consistent, they'll stop eventually.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you are the captain of your own destiny and you owe no one an explanation. And you don't have to lie. Point blank, NO THANK YOU.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I know what you're going through. My wife turns down cup cakes and stuff all the time and the over-weight co-workers will leave a cupcake on her desk. I suggest doing what my wife did:

Wife: "I don't want your God da*ned cupcake!!!!!"
    *Drops cupcake into trashcan by desk*
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I know what you're going through. My wife turns down cup cakes and stuff all the time and the over-weight co-workers will leave a cupcake on her desk. I suggest doing what my wife did:

Wife: "I don't want your God da*ned cupcake!!!!!"
    *Drops cupcake into trashcan by desk*

:laugh: Probably not the best career move, but I sympathize! I've worked at some places that must have read some management book or other promising workers would slave away for less money if fed treats. (Actually, I know I did read that in a management book once. The cheap *kitten*!)
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    Options
    I put them off by starting to rant about how many calories sugar sait blah blah are in that cake or take away and what its doing to their bodies, just make it up as I go along until the say, I'm not on your diet though, then I reply EXACTLY! Shush :bigsmile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why I'm glad I can't eat dairy (the other is because I'd be 4000 lbs because I wouldn't stop eating cheese and ice cream). I pull the dairy card all the time, even if it doesn't have any. Nobody knows for sure ;)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I think if someone gets pushy I'll start saying I'm living the grossatarian lifestyle. If they're fool enough to ask what that is, I'll start telling them about all the gross things in their food.

Don't click unless you really don't want to be hungry. Ever. Again.

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-disgusting-ingredients-that-arent-advertised-in-food-2012-3?op=1#ixzz1qYZOG1QU

This one is even more disgusting:

http://www.independentlivingnews.com/foods/community-updates/20858-maggots-in-your-food.stml#.U6yXQfldXq8
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nobody needs to know your nutritional goals -- it's none of their business. I usually just say "No, thanks" and if they ask why, I just tell them I'm not in the mood for it, or not hungry. I never told anyone I was dieting because I didn't want anyone to be up my butt about it.

Stand your ground. They'll just have to get over it.