1 month and little progress

Options
2»

Replies

• PonderinGal
    Options
    From what you mentioned, eating less than 1200 calories is not good for your body and can also cause adverse effects which may slow your metabolism. I would suggest to keep a range from say 1200 to 1400 and then always have a deficit on top of that. To lose one pound a week you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories, or in other words 500 calories a day. You're body also burns calories just from you being alive, which is usually your BMR. Which is how MFP determines the calories you should eat and your deficit. So basically you should always eat at least 1200 calories and to burn a pound a week you want a deficit of 1700, which includes your BMR.

I currently take in 1200-1500 calories, my BMR is 1400 some. So depending on what I eat I need to burn an additional 300-600 calories every day.

Thanks. I actually customized my goals so that I myself determined how many calories, etc. I want to consume. MFP's recommendation seemed a bit excessive to me, so I altered it.
  • PonderinGal
    Options
    Hey everyone, doesn't it just sound like she has simply hit her plateau? I don't know much about them, but after 60 lbs, that sounds like the right time for it to happen. All I know is that if you eat 1200 calories for several months, your body will get used to it. Therefore you need to start varying your calories every day to get your body out of that routine: eat 1300 one day, then 1800 the next, for example. It will be slower weight loss from then on, I believe. Can anyone confirm this? Its never happened to me but this is what I've read and heard of from trusted sources that have gone through this whole thing.

I'm afraid that if I try that (alternating intake), I'll just gain everything back. Now it's a matter of preventing the weight from returning...like a plague or termites, or something!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you are being absolutely honest and accurate with your weighing/measuring/logging of food, and you haven't lost in several weeks, then I would get to a doctor to check if there's something medical going on. The fact is, if you're truly eating that little and exercising that much, you're putting a hell of a lot of stress on your body, which can mess up your hormones, which can affect the "calories out" part of the equation. You should still be losing something (fat, muscle, bone density...) with such a huge deficit; hopefully a doctor could help you find out why you're not.

Bottom line though, if your diary is a true representation, then you are about as far from doing this "the right way" as you could get.
  • PonderinGal
    Options
    If you are being absolutely honest and accurate with your weighing/measuring/logging of food, and you haven't lost in several weeks, then I would get to a doctor to check if there's something medical going on. The fact is, if you're truly eating that little and exercising that much, you're putting a hell of a lot of stress on your body, which can mess up your hormones, which can affect the "calories out" part of the equation. You should still be losing something (fat, muscle, bone density...) with such a huge deficit; hopefully a doctor could help you find out why you're not.

Bottom line though, if your diary is a true representation, then you are about as far from doing this "the right way" as you could get.

That's super depressing. I don't know how else to do it. I can sincerely affirm that I've been honest and accurate (though I don't know how much things weigh exactly, I try to be as informed and accurate as possible with food portions by looking things up, reading nutrition information, etc) in logging my intake; I hadn't intended on sharing it with the public and am actually embarrassed by some of the foods on there!
    I've been to doctors in the past and have been told there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. I don't have the finances now to go, but will most definitely keep it in mind if this continues. I have lost 60 pounds, after all, although it's a complete mystery to me as to why I've come to such a screeching halt (as has been expressed :) ).
    Also, I'm wondering how you would advise me to change the way I'm doing things? Not only is there a deficit in the foods I'm eating, the foods I'm eating are healthy foods; I'm consistently implementing cardio and strength training into my daily routine (I haven't logged all of the exercise, as MFP doesn't seem to have everything AND doesn't count calories burned during strength training exercises...so why bother?)...about the only thing I can see wrong is my sleep pattern, which is, quite honestly, horrendous...but that can't be preventing me from losing anything. Sigh...at this point, I'd truly prefer just to sleep perpetually if only to avoid having to think about eating or exercising. I dread every day of having to think about everything I'm putting in my mouth and what I've got to do to work it off. Yes, sleeping all day is decidedly preferable.
  • Kangfui
    Kangfui Posts: 2
    Options
    5'11" and 159, You are doing Great. You have likely reached a healthy weight. Calculator.net shows several formulas for calculating weight and you are already totally in the range of your healthy weight. You are a tall lady!
    Perhaps your mind is not letting you see clearly in the mirror how good and how slender you look, and and how HEALTHY you look. (my friend calls it a visit from the lacerating critic...tell that critic, "get under my shoe" and stomp it out) Personally, 139 sounds on the too skinny side for someone 5'11"! (Especially someone who exercises!) I had suggestions for you until I saw your height, now my suggestion is practice gratitude for great health and your healthy weight and step out and try to enjoy life with your 60+ pounds lighter body.
    I'm not sure that anyone else paid attention to how tall you are!...they would if we were all in the same room. I have slow weight loss but when I started back at it this '"go round" I started by following the JJ virgin diet for 6 weeks. It is an elimination diet...I now know that corn and soy puff up my middle, my face and keep the weight from coming off as easy (and they are in so many foods) Inflammation from a food allergy may be a culprit. You may find that something you are eating is slowing down your weight loss, or puffing you up, if indeed you have any extra weight to lose. Also, you mentioned that you digest protein very slowly.
    This is not advice, just sharing. After much on-line and health book researching, (based on my symptoms, I have reason to believe) and I treat myself as though my body does not produce enough stomach acid and I supplement with (pure formulas) betaine hcl pepsin. I digest protein much better when I take the supplements. Consult your doctor or nutritionist before trying.

Here is what calculator.net gives as results for your weight:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 160.7 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 158.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 166.0 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 171.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 132.6 lbs - 179.2 lbs
    You are there!!! They show the details of each formula on the website.
    Take care~!
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Dear OP,

Are you using a food scale to weigh your food? I know I was in for a shock when I saw the weight, especially in grams, of even packaged food. You know, where you are expecting the manufacturer to have uniform measures.

Good Luck!
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a week and a half or so of your diary but, to me, it seems that you are eating way too few calories. Most days you are not even eating 1,000 and then you exercise on top of that. I am no expert by any means but from everything I have heard and read, eating too little can cause your body to hold on to everything it possibly can. I personally try to eat within 300 of my daily goal (that includes the "extra" from exercise) and don't ever go under 1,200. This is giving me decent results with no problems so far. The 24 pounds I have lost have all been from within the last two and a half months so it is not super fast but it's decent.

ETA: I just looked some more and every day that I have looked at, you are only eating 200 to 300 calories above your calories burned by exercise. That is NOT healthy.
  • susieqtx123
    susieqtx123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, I really feel for you as I have had the same issues. Unfortunately I have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) and I can see a loss in the morning & a gain by the evening! The major side effect of PCOS is weight gain/difficulty loosing weight. Have you had yourself tested for this?

I am learning to accept that this is what is happening to me as I follow my diet, I go to the gym, do Bikram Yoga, jog a lot & still hardly any weight loss! What I try to do is applaud & embrace the successes that are not on the scales. I have dropped a dress size, toned up really well & my favorite pair of jeans now fit me after 5yrs of them sitting in the back of my wardrobe!

I don't have a great deal of information to give you about this, but I think you've done really well with your weight loss so far. Enjoy it, you have to take the opportunity to give yourself a pat on the back. : )

Good luck & don't be so hard on yourself : )
  • jwalton830
    jwalton830 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell swings, pushups, quick sprints, pullups, situps... all that good stuff is under calisthenics in the cardiovascular section of exercise...
    I wish I had some words of wisdom for you... seems like you're doing everything "right"...
    I'm 5' 3"... I weigh 168 pounds... I started my journey almost 3 years ago at 230 pounds. Slow and steady wins the race!
    I used to obsess over the scale- weighing myself up to 5 times a day. My husband hid the scale- giving me scale "privileges" once a week. It forced me not to think about the number... except all day on weigh-in day... ;)
    My period does affect my weight loss... the week before I start I don't lose anything and the week of I might lose a pound. Sticking to 1,300-1,400 calories every day, staying hydrated, working my *kitten* off at my bootcamp class, allowing for 1-2 days of rest during the week and getting plenty of rest results in roughly 2 pounds lost a week.
    I'm sure you already know this... but the more lean muscle you have, the more fat you'll be able to burn. Cardio isn't everything... strength training is just as important.
    My best advice is for you to find a challenging exercise that you enjoy- it's not so much work as it is play... maybe a local exercise group- people who have similar goals who can support you through a plateau.
    Keep doing what you're doing as far as your nutrition goes... sounds like you're on the right track- as long as you're not consuming less than 1,200 calories... putting your body in starvation mode will not only make you miserable- it'll make your body hold onto everything you put into it. This is a lifestyle change- it's not something you're going to stop once you hit your goal... if you do indulge in a bag of Doritos or a slab of chocolate- keep in mind that it's not the end of the world. Sometimes you need to remind your body that it will get what it craves once in a while...
    It's a weird balancing act... but we'll get there if we stick together!
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 29-years-old, 5'11" and currently weigh 159. I want to weigh 139. I still have plenty of fat to get rid of, believe me!
    If I were lying to myself, I wouldn't bother charting anything, let alone posting a cry for help to a mass of complete strangers.

I'd say at this weight (and close to your target weight) your best bet is to focus on building a bit of extra muscle.
    When I was in your shoes (I'm 5'9") I wanted to go to 125-130 weight (after losing about 90 pounds), my body was resisting and wanted to stay at 145.
    I found a way to lean up in 140-150 range, and still fit in the clothes I wanted and losing some of the fat pockets that were still possible to lose. It did take me a good year of working out to lean up (from the time I realized I was pushing too hard)

Cutting calories more at that level only ended up getting me repeatedly sick (dizzy, discouraged, nauseated, exhausted, demotivated etc...)

Sometimes what we want, and what is best for our bodies isn't exactly the same thing, and we need to start paying attention to what our body is telling us.... and coming up with something sustainable.

Once I figured that out I was able to stay within my goal weight range for 15 or so years, from age of 21-22 till my late 30's, in spite of an eating disorder.
    Things went haywire recently in my 40's when I started encountering multiple health problems that changed a large number of things, so now I have to come up with new things, getting to know my body all over again.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're eating enough to me.
    I'm 5' tall & 45 yrs old, 1500 cal is my maintenance :huh:
    It looks like you're not even getting that much, which is important with all the exercise you're doing.
    Also, it looks like you're keeping the fat pretty low, this may be why you're so hungry.

I would say eat MOARRR.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hmm there's something off about the way you've presented the problem statement. As of May 28th , you had lost 55 lbs. Now you're up to 60 or possibly 61 (since you mention 6 lbs). If you lost 5 lbs in one month, have the changes implemented in the last month not made a difference? You did mention a medical condition that I'm concerned may be kicking in here. What does your doctor think about eating 900 calories a day? Those seem low and 5 lbs in one month is exceptional weight loss, if not a bit unhealthy considering a history you wish to avoid repeating.