When is a plateau an actual plateau?

Options
I'm 5' 7" @ around 167 currently.

I've only been bulking for around a month now eating at a conservative surplus of 2300 calories. I'm following the StrongLifts program and initially saw my weight jump up by around 7 - 10 lbs (from 160) but I asked around and people mentioned it was primarily water weight. This bore out because I didn't really see my weight increase beyond 170, which wouldn't have made sense anyway.

The past few workouts that I've seen, I haven't been able to consistenly add 5 lbs. Particularly with squats and bench press, I've been stuck at the same weight for the past 1.5 weeks.

I understand that any time you stay at a weight, that would be considered a plateau, but as muscle growth or adaption is not linear, it's not reasonable to expect that you can consistently add weight with no interruptions. After a while, however, something would have to change in order to grow if doing the same thing isn't working.

2 questions:

1) How long do you have to stall out at a particular weight before you would define it as a plateau?

2) Generally speaking (assuming that I'm using proper form), is eating more the solution to getting over plateaus?

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    What's your current squat and bench at? Have you been doing strong lifts only a month too?
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts for about 3 months now. Before, I was trying to lift on a caloric deficit but found during my initial long cut ( ~ 9 months) I hadn't lifted at all and lost a lot of muscle. As a result, I plateaued out very quickly even though I started with the bar (45 lbs) on all the lifts except deadlift.

Deadlift: 220
    Bench Press: 120
    Overhead Press: 85
    Pendlay (Barbell) Row: 120
    Squat: 160
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    According to Starting Strength, which is a similar program, you've stalled when you've deloaded three times and can't get past the weight you first failed at. In order to deload, you must have attempted the weight 3 successive sessions and failed all three.

Doesn't Starting Strength have something similar?
  • AshwinA7
    Options
    @stealthq-

Yes, StrongLIfts does the same. Is eating more the solution or just deloading and then training as normal?
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you....but you are not very strong for your body weight so I don't think eating more will help with this one.
  • ConnorS879
    ConnorS879 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would not define staying at the same weight as a plateau, you'll be making progress undoubtably, depending on how much you monitor your workout, an extra rep here and an extra set there is progress, I don't think you've been lifting long enough to hit a plateau, especially if you are in a 2,300 calories surplus
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts for about 3 months now. Before, I was trying to lift on a caloric deficit but found during my initial long cut ( ~ 9 months) I hadn't lifted at all and lost a lot of muscle. As a result, I plateaued out very quickly even though I started with the bar (45 lbs) on all the lifts except deadlift.

Deadlift: 220
    Bench Press: 120
    Overhead Press: 85
    Pendlay (Barbell) Row: 120
    Squat: 160

I'd say stay with the small surplus until your lifts go up a little more. Don't worry about the weekly plateau. Just keep upping the weights when you can. If a lift seems real difficult, do a 10% deload and then continue with the 5 lb increase. You're right in thinking strength gain is not linear. Far from it.

I got stuck at 175 lb squats for weeks with a couple deloads. I think my hammys were really weak before I started squatting.

The bench, I would go over form again. Maybe get a copy of Starting Strength.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt 2300 cal is a surplus for someone your size.

The strength gains are stalling because you are in a calorie deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    at 5'8 and 162 for my first bulk- I worked my way upwards of 3000 plus- and toward the end it wasn't enough. so 2300 definitely doens't sound like enough.

That being said- I don't think you're stalling on squat from calorie deficit- body weight is respectable- but you should be able to hit 200 without having to bulk. I had to tweak and add a belt and figure out how to properly brace- it had more to do with technique and bracing properly rather than not being strong enough. now I don't belt up till after 185.

Try going adjusting technique- lower the weight and tinker with foot placement- bar placement- breathing- and bracing. Get a belt if you need it.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others here. 2,300 cals is probably close to maintenance or a slight defiicit at your weight.
  • AshwinA7
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!

@crusadersam - I know I'm not very strong. As I mentioned in my post, I lost a lot of muscle during my very long cut. When I first started StrongLifts I had to start with the bar on all the lifts except deadlift because I was simply too weak.

After experimentation, I found that 2000 was my TDEE so many of you are right that 2300 is a very conservative surplus.

For those who think that I should up my calories, how much more should I be eating?
  • MSLUC
    MSLUC Posts: 30
    Options
    Protein, Potein, Protein. MUSCLE FOOD.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Look we all have to start somewhere I know when I started I hadn't lost any muscle from anything I was just weak. When I started I was 300lb and I had a hard time benching an empty bar and when I was done at 170 I could put up 225 for 8.

Don’t fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking *kitten*, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. I think thats a quote from Jim Wendler
  • AshwinA7
    Options
    Look we all have to start somewhere I know when I started I hadn't lost any muscle from anything I was just weak. When I started I was 300lb and I had a hard time benching an empty bar and when I was done at 170 I could put up 225 for 8.

That quote didn't really say anything specific but are you trying to say that I shouldn't be bulking at this point but instead stick to eating at TDEE and lifting since I haven't reached my potential for my weight?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

@crusadersam - I know I'm not very strong. As I mentioned in my post, I lost a lot of muscle during my very long cut. When I first started StrongLifts I had to start with the bar on all the lifts except deadlift because I was simply too weak.

After experimentation, I found that 2000 was my TDEE so many of you are right that 2300 is a very conservative surplus.

For those who think that I should up my calories, how much more should I be eating?

2000 is your TDEE? That doesn't sound right at all if you are lifting 3-4 days a week.

ETA - I plugged your stats into the SCOOBY calculator and came up with 2780 as TDEE and 3030 as a clean bulk.
  • AshwinA7
    Options
    That number seems ridiculously high to be honest. In my experience, I lost fat at a pretty average rate: 1 lb/week if I'm eating at a 20% deficit. My guess is my muscle building capability is similarly average. Eating 3000 calories seems like most of it would turn to fat pretty quickly. I don't think my body has the ability to utilize all those calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

2000 is your TDEE? That doesn't sound right at all if you are lifting 3-4 days a week.

ETA - I plugged your stats into the SCOOBY calculator and came up with 2780 as TDEE and 3030 as a clean bulk.

I do a backwards *kitten* TDEE- i like using TDEE and then tinkering with my own exercise calories- I do it both ways to see and I usually come up with the same same numbers.
    but Jo- WTF does that mean?
    If I put in completely sedentary into TDEE calculators and come up with about 1900/2000 for maintance. add in a couple hundred calories for workouts- and it puts me right around 2300-2500 for my workout days.

if I put in moderately active-with 3-4 workouts straight up TDEE I wind up with around 23/500 calories for maintance- wack off a few hundred for my 15-20% and I'm still eating at or around 2000- if not lower for a daily number.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was eating between 2-3000. floating between cutting/maintance and bulking. it seems a little lower- but it's not eye brow raising off the charts weird.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

^This.

I'm a 5'7" woman, gained 14 pounds from 120 to 134, and ate 2600 or more calories a day to get the scale to budge up.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

And Waldo get the "O" for B-I-N-G-O....deficit would be accurate at 2300; next caller.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" 172 lbs and 42 years old. 2600 TDEE.