Gaining weight is so hard

Options
Gaining weight is so hard and frustrating. Add to it that I get zero sympathy from any one and always the same comments, "Eat more" or "I wish I had your problem"
I'm 55, 5'2" and weigh 98 pds. I have never weighed over 110 except when I was pregnant and then I got up to 128.
I quit smoking finally 5 weeks ago, and even that hasn't helped.
I do have an ulcer and GERD so that makes it harder. But we have completely changed our diet in the house, so a lot of foods are out.
We don't eat any foods that come out of a box or a can. No fried foods ever. No hot dogs, hamburger or for the majority, no pork.
So my problem is to even get 1,700 calories a day and I want to have at least 2,000.
Example:Breakfast was a bowl of cheerios, small banana, 8 oz of Kefir
lunch: Peanut butter sandwich with strawberry jam and a bottle of ensure
supper last night, grilled salmon with garlic, 2 servings of beets and a glass of water with a fresh lemon squeezed into it.
Sometimes I will have some strawberries before bed or a splurge of a ice creme bar.
We also walk 20 mins a day.
How and what do I eat that is healthy and yet gain weight?
So very frustrated.

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Add some grains alongside your dinner. It can be something superhealthy like quinoa.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Like most on here I found it surprisingly easy lol.
    I think what you mean is gaining weight HEALTHILY is hard. Your choice of foods and portion sizes are more what someone weight-conscious would eat.

I think you either need to eat more calorific foods, or simply eat more.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    How to gain weight:
    1. Don't eat salmon, beets, and water for dinner
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    Like most on here I found it surprisingly easy lol.
    I think what you mean is gaining weight HEALTHILY is hard. Your choice of foods and portion sizes are more what someone weight-conscious would eat.

I think you either need to eat more calorific foods, or simply eat more.

I agree with this. I started out just like you 5'2", 98lbs. I'm now around 104. It was definitely hard at first because I was trying to eat healthy. Most of my food during the day is but once I embraced eating ice cream which I don't even really like it helps make it easier! Don't be afraid to eat some "bad" foods to get those extra calories. I second adding a carb like a potato or something to your dinner and eat some snacks throughout the day. I eat apples and bananas during the day as snacks that don't make me feel overly full but give me calories too. I mean most days I just feel full a lot and I just suck it up and eat even when I don't want to because I know I need the calories. The gains I've been making are worth it!
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Every night, make yourself a milkshake with real, full fat ice cream and full-fat milk. Drink it. And eat a tablespoon of extra peanut butter with it. You problem will be solved IMO. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Meat (why no hamburgers or pork? I can understand hot dogs because yuck), potatoes, nuts, avocados, chocolate, cheese, eggs, whole milk, butter, bread, ice cream, pasta, cream sauces.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My daughter has serious stomach problems and lost a lot of weight. She wasn't looking good and I was getting nervous. She went vegan. You would think the weight loss would be worse, but her stomach got much better and she gained 9lbs.

You can eat healthy and gain weight, but your watching your calories. I agree add a carb to dinner, but you can also do the following:

Chocolate almond milk
    Protein Shakes
    Fruit shakes

Also Ice cream isn't so bad, its still milk. A milkshake is another idea. If you drink milk, I saw an article that said chocolate milk is a great recovery after a workout.

Make healthy choices, but stop watching portions. Eat what you like, eat healthy food and watch what makes the GERD worse. Milk might be one of those things, if so Coconut milk, Soy milk or almond milk ice creams are good choices.

Oh my daughter added one sugary drink a day. Just one for calories, but not too much sugar.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I would also up the calorie dense foods: Cheese (whole fat, not fat free), avocado, an extra tablespoon of peanut butter, ice cream (yummmmmy!), some good complex carbs like sweet potato, breads (whole grain or wheat), etc.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I was a teenager. I was a long-distance runner. At 17, I was 165-170 lbs and 6'2. I was nearly two dimensional. I ate like a horse though. It wasn't until I joined the army (at 17) that I gained any weight. Thanks to basic I put on 30 lbs and another 15-20 in AIT. You know what did it? A lot of strength exercises and bad eating. Army food isn't exactly healthy. It's purposely calorie dense.

So, longer story long, ditch this salmon (ok, eat the salmon too, it's good for you) but eat some delicious high calorie food....all the time. It's possible for anyone that doesn't have a worm to gain weight. It does, however, take a paradigm shift.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Hi, you could add:

Avocadoes in your salads or sandwich

Bulghur, barley, whoke weat couscous, quinoa

homemade bean salads

Unsalted nuts

Greek yogourt or labne (drained lebanese yogourt)

Ground turkey instead of ground beef

You have a very healthy diet good for you. Dont change your eating habits for gaining weight just add some healthy higher calories ingredients and good luck.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil. It's a healthy fat and really high in calories. A tablespoon alone is around 120 calories. And have whole milk and full fat yogurts. I can say that these two have largely contributed to my unwanted weight gain. I didn't know it at the time and thought that avoiding "junk" food would be the answer to stay at a healthy weight - obviously I was wrong. Then again, I didn't know much about calories back then. Looking back, considering I rarely ate "bad" foods, I'm 99% sure the exaggerated amounts of olive oil and fat yogurts were responsible for most of the weight I gained.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Try developing Hashimoto's. It's very easy
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I managed to get up to 365lbs just by accident!! I guess I'm just gifted.

You and me both, Sir !! :-)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Eat everything you're already eating but add in a couple of protein shakes made with full fat milk, fruit, honey and/or whatever else you like.

ETA: Since you don't like anything packaged, I assume protein powders are out. I make smoothies with 1/4 cup low sodium cottage cheese and 1/2 cup milk and everything else I just mentioned. High protein and tastes like a milkshake. People are always like "cottage cheeeeeese??? In a smoothie? ewwwww," but trust me. Mango + CC + Milk + ice + honey (or maple syrup) = the best thing ever.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, how to eat only healthy foods and gain weight. I don't want to eat empty calories from sugars and processed stuff.
    Trouble is, I am never hungry or sometimes I get so busy I realize I forgot to eat.
    Eating more is really it, but what to eat that is healthy and calorie rich.
    Thanks.
  • kynsie2
    Options
    I have never had quinoa. But I have read about it.
    I guess it's time I try it!
    Thank you
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You just have to eat more calories than you burn, consistently.
  • kynsie2
    Options
    Thanks.
    I guess a milkshake would be good in the evening. Maybe a banana milkshake?
    Some vanilla ice creme and add a banana?
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    If you want to keep it healthy, add oils to more stuff. Olive and flax are best. Cheeses are good. Carbs that are low in fiber are good as well since they won't keep you feeling as full. White rice instead of brown rice, etc. Protein is going to make you feel full for longer but cooking a big turkey, cutting it up, and snacking on it all day would be a good, relatively inexpensive source of protein.

You may have to eat even when you aren't hungry. I'm not saying to eat to the point of nausea. Even at a cut I have to eat when I'm not really hungry. Healthy food will do that to you. :P