Working out during Ramadan

Options
Hi. Ramadan starts this weekend, and I'm trying to figure out on how to cope with exercise.

I don't want to stop exercising for a whole month, I feel it will ruin all that I have accomplished all these months of working out. Usually if I have a lot of time, I will do daily 1 hour of cycling and 35 minutes of Yoga Meltdown and/or 15 minutes of Iron Yoga using 3 kg dumbbells. But if I don't have time, I make sure I do at least my 30/60 minutes of cycling. And I try not to have rest days.

My 1 hour of cycling usually starts with 23 kph speed for a few minutes, then I have some short bursts of 30 kph, and make sure I don't go under 25 kph.

I'm also on my feet all day long (and some times all night long) with 2 small kids, and I do a lot of cleaning and cooking.

I'm really addicted to exercise, and I don't want to quit, but I don't want to get sick on this blessed month either. So, any fellow Muslims got any tips for me?

My diary is open if you want to check that out.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You could try waking up an hour earlier before the dawn prayer. Exercise a half hour then eat and drink. Before the fast is about to break at night you could try light exercises a half hour before. Of course do not over do it because you only are able to drink at certain times. We here will fast for something like 16hours. In Alaska it is like 21 hours.
    I am sick all the time after the fast breaks, thinking of just having light soups to break the fast.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Thanks, yeah that sounds good actually.

I find it very hard eating in the nights (feeling bloated, hard time sleeping etc), so I'm gonna probably eat light when breaking fast too.

Here in Cyprus fast starts 3:48 in the morning, and iftar is 8:04 I think.

In sha Allah we will manage.

Thank you for your tips.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I do not practice Ramadan, but I have a tip as well.

I do enjoy that tip to wake up a bit earlier to fit in your workout alongside your meal. What I would also suggest is that if you are finding your normal routine is not aligning with your practice of Ramadan this month, continuing your yoga and walking are two low impact exercises that you can use to stay active and in a routine until Eid. You can even involve your two children in those walks as well, if you are able to.

Ramadan mubarak, my fellow fitness pal!
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Thank you, yes waking up earlier to workout is best I think, as my breakfast will be my biggest meal. I just hope I don't get too much sleep deprived.

In all honesty, cycling does make me more thirsty, but Yoga in combination with strength training / weights is more intense for me, so... Maybe I leave the intense stuff in the morning, and I do some cycling just before Iftar?
  • falilvx
    falilvx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    2 more days and it's Ramadhan !! :D
    for me,the best is to exercise1 hour before iftar and maybe if you willing to wake early then u can exercise before sahur. or maybe eat just to fuel yourself on iftar then workout and after terawih u can eat just like dinner :)
    only suggestion tho :)
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Thank you. Yeah, only 2 days left I am so excited!

I don't think I can handle eating a big meal after Iftar, let alone after Taraweeh, but exercising before Iftar sounds tempting, especially cycling that time, cycling seems very easy to me compared to the other stuff I do, but only thirst would be the issue, which is why doing it before Iftar as you say sounds good.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and Ramadan Mubarak to everyone! Feel free to add me for support during this blessed month!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am not going to be doing any high intensity workouts this ramadan, I will probably just limit my exercise to walks and bike rides, and I plan on drinking a lot of water once the fast is broken Inshallah.
    ONE MORE DAY!
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some great suggestions.....
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    both suggestions for exercising before suhur and iftar are good. The fast in the UK is going on 20 hours so i will not be going to the gym for the entire month. I'm hoping to go on light walks after iftar though.
    Ramadan Mubarak to everyone :)
  • quratulainsalman
    quratulainsalman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    the fast here in Toronto and surrounding areas would be a little over or under 17 hours (depending on how far or close you are to Toronto). I honestly hope i find the motivation to work out this Ramadan because usually i just end up gaining weight :sad:
  • linstapler
    linstapler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning about half hour after suhur and subuh prayer. Just had milk + dates. Did a simpler modified version of JM Ripped in 30 in the comfort of my own room. Will add some walking after work. Hope I can keep this up throughout Ramadhan :D

Need to watch too much of good food (snacks) after Iftar. Must follow the rule of breaking fast with water and dates... Maghrib then continue with the meal.

Good luck and ramadhan mubarak everyone :)
  • scot34
    scot34 Posts: 7
    Options
    Either work out late night or just before breaking your fast.
  • elizabethportman
    Options
    both suggestions for exercising before suhur and iftar are good. The fast in the UK is going on 20 hours so i will not be going to the gym for the entire month. I'm hoping to go on light walks after iftar though.
    Ramadan Mubarak to everyone :)
    Agreed. I haven't any plan of workout during holy Ramadan. In my opinion, Ramadan itself a great workout.
  • jmjdubai2013
    Options
    The article was really helpful. Ramadan is more than a month of fasting... It leads us more to a spiritual life. I really enjoy the happiness of Allah during this holy month of Ramadan. It is good to know workout tips like these to have a healthy Ramadan :wink: http://goo.gl/FpcRVs
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Scary.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Scary.

What's scary?
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Scary.

If you're implying that this user's religion or the month of Ramadan is "scary", I'd suggest you educate yourself and stop being so ignorant.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Scary.

If you're implying that this user's religion or the month of Ramadan is "scary", I'd suggest you educate yourself and stop being so ignorant.

You know I actually feel sorry for these people. May God forgive them, if our fasting is scary, then what do they call this: http://muslimvillage.com/2014/07/07/55412/daily-mail-caught-stirring-up-extremist-on-muslim-internet-forum/

Media keeps brainwashing these poor souls, and they think Muslims are to blame. So sad.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Scary.

You know I actually feel sorry for these people. May God forgive them, if our fasting is scary, then what do they call this: http://muslimvillage.com/2014/07/07/55412/daily-mail-caught-stirring-up-extremist-on-muslim-internet-forum/

Media keeps brainwashing these poor souls, and they think Muslims are to blame. So sad.

Why am I not surprised DailyMail would pull a stunt like that? The only stories they have, they either rip from other agencies, or create sensational headlines with no actual merit whatsoever. It's disgusting they would stoop that low for a story, though.

I hope that the remainder of your month goes well, and I hope that you do not get any more comments like this. Ramadan Mubarak, my fellow fitness pal.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    If you carb loading properly post work out and eventually before Fajr you should still be able to pull in a decent work out before breaking the fast. You might want to take it easy and not push yourself as much as during non fasting months as your levels of dehydration are higher (and possibly you might be more tired that the usual due to timings).
    I live in a Muslim country and train with fasting bros' - most train just before Iftar and break the fast when leaving the gym with dates and water and aminos – eventually get home and eat.
    Option to train at night / before Fajr is there but depends a lot on timings / working hours and overall life pattern.