i dont want to lie

Options
124»

Replies

• 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i do try to say no thanks or something polite but they keep persisting and then i have to keep persisting and then there (my family or relatives) are basically putting the piece of cake right in front of me or on my lap and i am just like "what?, i just said no" , i was brought up being force fed and made to think that you should never waste food and food is a part of life but i really do not believe that now and so do my siblings but everyone else still thinks so
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    i do try to say no thanks or something polite but they keep persisting and then i have to keep persisting and then there (my family or relatives) are basically putting the piece of cake right in front of me or on my lap and i am just like "what?, i just said no" , i was brought up being force fed and made to think that you should never waste food and food is a part of life but i really do not believe that now and so do my siblings but everyone else still thinks so

Is there a cultural aspect at play here?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    When people claim they have allergies to things, much of the time I don't believe them and think they are lying and/or trying to feel like a special snowflake.

I just say "I don't want that".
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When people claim they have allergies to things, much of the time I don't believe them and think they are lying and/or trying to feel like a special snowflake.

^^^ This right here is why lying about food allergies makes me angry. For those of us with actual food allergies, we are dismissed, "tested' by friends who think we're just being stubborn about a stupid food, or restaurants aren't as careful as they would otherwise be. Food allergies can kill, for some (myself included) within an hour, and are no joke.

Just say no thank you, and pull Emily Post on them when they insist: wide eyes, awed expression, "Why would you ask me that?" since you've already answered it.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Those people that try to push you into having cake just want to feel better about themselves - they feel guilty but if everyone does it its OK.

Luckily I don't like cake (except cheesecake and brownies) so I can legitimately use that as my response. Although, this always causes a big fuss too!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I say "no thank you." If the person really insisted, I would take the cake, break it up with my fork to look like I'm eating it, then dispose of it discreetly.
    Great idea! Once you put it on your plate, everyone seems to be satisfied. Then you can just put the plate on a desk somewhere and never look at it again.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I say "no thank you." If the person really insisted, I would take the cake, break it up with my fork to look like I'm eating it, then dispose of it discreetly.
    Great idea! Once you put it on your plate, everyone seems to be satisfied. Then you can just put the plate on a desk somewhere and never look at it again.

I agree with this as well, it seems to satisfy people.
    I don't understand why people behave this way to be honest. Maybe it's an American thing? I experienced the same behavior last time I lost weight. People won't take "no thank you" or "I'm counting calories" as an answer.
    Although now that I'm vegan, I don't have to deal with that anymore. People usually shut up pretty fast now. ;) Well, unless it's vegan cake...
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'm not hungry.

^^^This^^^ I say this all the time. It actually is very effective.
  • josephisreaching
    Options
    ""NO" is a complete sentence
    stop caring what others think
    :)