Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I think about trying not to die lol
  • oddtrees
    oddtrees Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love that feeling of zoning out, but I only ever get it when I jog outside. On the treadmill, I'm doing Couch to 5k, so I focus too much on the clock haha. Every now and then, I'll get distracted by the TV or my music and end up running through the walking portion of c25k by accident.
  • alondrasilva10
    Options
    I'd give anything to zone out while I run. Anything.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I try to zone out. Sometimes I'll stare at the numbers on the treadmill and count with it. Other times, I'll crank my EDM up to drown out all the doubts in my head. If I can't internally hear "but my legs hurt, you should stop" I'm likely to run longer.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I zone out the entire 10km. I love it. Where I run I don't need to worry about traffic at all. Worst thing I have to worry about are people on bikes who think they own the whole path and push me onto the grass...or the snakes or rabbits. I've had to avoid a swan and a frog once. But apart from that I tune out, thats my whole love of running right there. I don't even have to think about steps.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    RhrBzUb.png?1

The Oatmeal! I totally loved this whole thing. :heart:

"When I run, the world grows quiet. Demons are forgotten, krakens are slain, and blerches are silenced."

I love the blerch. He's there often.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I zone out for parts of it, but I try not to because I want to be aware of my surroundings! :tongue:

But I generally think about
    the route I'm taking
    alternate routes if needed (has happened several times - construction, creepy person on the path, gut feeling, whatever)
    BREAKFAST
    the music on my playlist
    updating my playlist
    should I stop and take a picture of that?
    awwww, baby cows!!
    a bunny!
    form check
    breathing check
    I need coffee
    hope that light turns red before I get there, I need a break
    almost there
    did I start my app??

and so on... :drinker:
    wow corn grows fast
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What do I think about when I run? Please don't let "What ever is chasing me" catch me!
  • willandjaye
    willandjaye Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tend to zone in and out. I think about lots of random things like all the dead animals I'm going to pass while running (and hoping that I don't see any living ones). I don't run to music but I like to form a rhythm with my foot falls and breathing so it's almost like a song...I focus on that a lot. If I'm not thinking or focusing on breathing, then I'm checking my hrm to see if I'm pushing myself hard enough or if my heart is about to explode (but that's usually at the end of my runs).

Man, I sound like a pretty boring runner.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    One, two, three, four... All the way to twenty. Sometimes fifty. Then I start over.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    winning stuff and being successful in general
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just zone and then realize half my run was over! Instead, I keep looking at the mileage on the treadmill. If I run outside, I don't think about much other than how much better I'll feel once I'm done running. LOL

This is exactly what I do!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think about everything and absolutely nothing all at the same time. Totally zoned out, but I swear I could solve all the world problems if they existed in my run world. LOL! Oh - and Zombies... Love the Zombies, Run! app... though I might run tomorrow just listening to my music. I haven't done that in a while. :)

When I run on a treadmill, I think about how much running sucks. Running outside is my absolute nirvana. I will face rain/sleet/snow/ridiculous heat/tornadoes/hurricanes/the hounds of hell, so long as I don't have to run on a treadmill.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I wish I could just zone and then realize half my run was over! Instead, I keep looking at the mileage on the treadmill. If I run outside, I don't think about much other than how much better I'll feel once I'm done running. LOL

This is exactly what I do!

On the very few times I ran on a treadmill (hated it totally & only did it 3 times) I would grab my towel & cover the whole front part up with it so I could not see. That made me focus less on the time/speed/calories & more on the 'run'

It still sucked on it though, it was harder for me to get into it. 10km on there feels like a lifetime & was actually taking me longer to get done.

Nothing beats outside running.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As a math nerd, I think about how far I have left to go in terms of percentages. This happens whether I swim, run, or bike. I also think about my problems or life in general. I also think about how great I'll feel when I am done and that usually takes me to the end of my workout. When I start to get tired, I glance more at my phone in my arm band to see how much farther I have to go. I use an audio coach that clicks off at so much time and/or distance and I TRY to only rely on that for my stats.

I also plan meals out in my head and try to figure out how they budget into my caloric limit. Anything to keep my mind off of any pain, discomfort, or tiredness I may be feeling at that time.

That's so funny I do that to. If I'm on the treadmill I break my run up to a set of sequences and I also calculate percentage done, etc. If I'm running on a trail I use the mileage indicators to calculate percentage done or left to do. If I'm running in the neighborhood I'll try to guesstimate distance of different parts of the run.
  • Beaconkitty
    Beaconkitty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love when I zone out when running. This is my goal
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    sex
  • raintail8
    raintail8 Posts: 18
    Options
    myself…gasping for breath and not collapsing, motivating myself with the thought of cheesecake :P
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How long it is until I can stop running. lol. It's not for me. Sometimes I run past the barns of an equestrian center, and then I think about how ... fragrant ... horses are.
  • Pictureclepto
    Pictureclepto Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As a math nerd, I think about how far I have left to go in terms of percentages. This happens whether I swim, run, or bike. I also think about my problems or life in general. I also think about how great I'll feel when I am done and that usually takes me to the end of my workout. When I start to get tired, I glance more at my phone in my arm band to see how much farther I have to go. I use an audio coach that clicks off at so much time and/or distance and I TRY to only rely on that for my stats.

I also plan meals out in my head and try to figure out how they budget into my caloric limit. Anything to keep my mind off of any pain, discomfort, or tiredness I may be feeling at that time.

I do the mental math too, especially when I'm struggling or there's a lot of distance to cover, it's kind of calming.