Cooking Challenge: Red Lentils

Options
2»

Replies

• thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    Hahaha, the vegan lentil soup was almost exactly what I was planning to post. I make something similar with roasted sweet potatoes instead of the squash. :)

I use less coconut milk, add chiles, and diced tomatoes, and I am a it heaver handed with the spices. I also use a few less lentils. It ends up thick and hearty.

Ooh, that sounds yummy, too. I'm all about making variations on a theme. :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I will be making Dal tomorrow, if all goes as planned. Not the healthiest but I have been dying to try it! thanks for the recipes y'all - keep em coming!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    question for you lentil folks, I've had lentil soup but it wasn't too long ago that I realized there were so many various lentil colors! Of all places to learn was a funky cool jewelery store that used the Health Coop next door and bought beans, lentils and such in bulk for displays to lay out their consignment jewelry. It was beautiful and that's where I discovered the world of color in the world of lentils.

Can anyone teach me what they know? :o)

Most appreciated:flowerforyou:
    I just know of red lentils and brown lentils....and the red ones are really orange! :) My husband is Arab and there is this one dish he made before that was basmati rice and brown lentils together. It's called mujadara. That's the extent of my lentil knowledge! LOL
    Thank you for that!:flowerforyou:
  • minervasp73
    Options
    question for you lentil folks, I've had lentil soup but it wasn't too long ago that I realized there were so many various lentil colors! Of all places to learn was a funky cool jewelery store that used the Health Coop next door and bought beans, lentils and such in bulk for displays to lay out their consignment jewelry. It was beautiful and that's where I discovered the world of color in the world of lentils.

Can anyone teach me what they know? :o)

Most appreciated:flowerforyou:
    I just know of red lentils and brown lentils....and the red ones are really orange! :) My husband is Arab and there is this one dish he made before that was basmati rice and brown lentils together. It's called mujadara. That's the extent of my lentil knowledge! LOL
    Thank you for that!:flowerforyou:

There are differences between lentils and their colors with respect to their vitamin content. If you go to the bulk area of your grocery store they will have printed labels on the lentils and you can compare. =)

I buy green because the iron was highest.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    lentils sound so healthy!! I can't seem to find any at the grocery though :tongue: I really suck at these cooking challenges...
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day to enter this cooking challenge! Get your entries in before 5PM PST!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I made Dal Nirvana according to the recipe here: http://steamykitchen.com/10989-indian-dal-nirvana.html except I used red lentils, per the challenged. It turned out well but I think it would have been better with the caviar lentils. The taste was a bit bland. I also sub-ed 1/2cup plain yogurt for the heavy cream to lighten it up, but I did cave and use the full 1/4 cup of butter (light butter, admittedly). I omitted the salt and garnished with more cilantro, because I love it. The rest of the recipe I kept the same!

Dal Nirvana

1 cup dry lentils
    6 ounces canned crushed tomato
    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less depending on your spice preference)
    1 cup water
    4 tablespoons butter
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup 1% plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

In a large sauce pan, add the lentils and fill with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the lentils open and are tender. Drain the water from the lentils and return the lentils to the pot. Stir the lentils around in the pot mashing some of them against the pot to break open. Add the tomato puree, ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, water, butter, and pepper. Cook for 1 hour until the dal is thick. Make sure to check the pot periodically to make sure the water does not cook out.

Stir in yogurt, garnish with minced cilantro.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: Cals 264, Carbs 34, Fat 9, Protein 13, Fiber 8, Sodium 120

I'd make it again with a different lentil, I think. Just to give it a try. It was a nice side dish but not a great main course - Somewhat lacking in the flavour dept. But a great staple for sure!

Meag
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Time to vote for the best red lentil dish!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Voting ends Wednesday at 5PM PST and the next challenge will be up tonight!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Did I miss the next challenge?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I know this is too late for the challenge, but I had to share tonight's dinner recipe.

I'm calling them "Spanish Lentils." This was an experiment, and it was really easy and flavorful.

Whole Foods - French Green Lentils, 1.5 cup dry
    Leeks - (bulb and lower leaf-portion), raw, 1 cup
    Roasted Piquillo or Red Peppers, 12 oz (1/2 pc)
    Carrots - Raw, 2 cup, chopped
    Garlic - Raw, 4 clove
    Spanish Chorizo (Dried Cured Sausage), 2.3 oz (sliced and quartered)
    Celery - Raw, 1.5 cup chopped
    Low Sodium Chicken Broth, 3-3.5 cups
    Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added, 0.5 can
    8 sprigs of thyme, fresh
    Oil - Olive, 1.5 tablespoon
    1 pinch of Saffron
    Salt to taste
    Crushed Red Pepper to taste

~ 7-8 1 cup servings
    Nutrition per 1 cup: Per Serving:
    251 calories, 34 grams of carbs, 6 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, 7 grams of fiber.

1. Heat up a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and oil.
    2. Wait for the chorizo to render and color the oil red
    3. Add the chopped leeks, carrots, celery and roasted pepper, thyme and sautee for about 7 minutes (until soft and fragrant.
    4. Add the garlic, saffron and tomatoes and sautee for another 2 minutes or so. Season with salt and crushed red pepper
    5. Turn up the heat and add the lentils and broth. Wait for the mixture to boil.
    6. Cook for 30-4 minutes until lentils are tender
    7. Turn off the heat, add additional salt and pepper if needed

Verdict:
    This was really tasty, I'd probably add more chile flakes next time and maybe serve with a bit of chopped parsley, lemon or chimichurri.

Feel free to sub your favorite smoked sausage and onions for the leeks and chorizo (add smoked paprika or pimenton to make it taste more "spanish" if you do not use a spanish chorizo. They'd all work out great. This is a little bit of liquid in the finished product, perfect for topping rice. Feel free to add more to make it a soup.

Shortcuts:
    Buy the pre-made mirepoix from Trader Joe's and you'l avoid chopping. Also Trader Joe's sells roasted piquillo peppers. They have a bit more kick than regular roasted peppers, but they can be used interchangeably.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Red Lentil Soup (Shourba Ads in Arabic) from Middle Eastern Home Cooking by Tess Mallos

INGREDIENTS:
    Red Lentils - Dried, 1.5 cup;
    Chicken broth, 6 cups;
    Small Yellow Onion, grated;
    Ground Cumin, 1 tsp;
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Lemon juice, 1 tbsp

DIRECTIONS: Rinse lentils well in a sieve under cold running water. Bring broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add lentils and onion. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender (about 30 mins). Do not stir during cooking. The lentils should have collapsed into a puree; for a finer texture, pass through a sieve or puree in a blender.

Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lemon juice and heat gently. Then serve!

CALORIES PER SERVING: 129 calories

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a family favorite in my house. It has the consistency of split pea soup. It's not much to look at, but it tastes so good on a cold day. My husband would eat it everyday if I made it that often! It is so easy to make and I've never had anyone not like it!

PICTURE (optional): syrian-red-lentil-soup-2.jpg
    Looks delish, simple to make, warm for the Winter...what's not to love! Plus the cost is kept low:drinker:
    Thank you!!:flowerforyou:

Does look delish, but does Not look like red lentils!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/154316

Really easy to make

warming delicious winter soup

100g Red Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Did I miss the next challenge?

It's broccoli. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/154222-cooking-challenge-broccoli
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/154316

Really easy to make

warming delicious winter soup

100g Red Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!

What are the calories? and serve size? PLEASE
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting ends tomorrow night at 5PM PST!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I was wrong yesterday.. One more day to vote!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to thelima for her Vegan Red Lentil Soup!