I'm ready to give up

Options

Replies

• brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast, eat your first meal at noon, and see what happens.

Eat pretty much anything you want at other times.

Counting calories is boring.

I bet you will survive.

At least.

This will screw up your metabolism.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I bet you will survive.

At least.

Mostly bad advice, but breakfast doesn't work for everyone. Eating in the morning makes me ravenous. But not calorie counting? That's fun! I couldn't imagine NOT calorie counting.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am 46, 5'2", with an RMR of about 1300 which is slightly below the average for my age/height. So that leaves me very little wiggle room for what to eat. I started at 140 and just wanted to lose 10 pounds, but that 10 pounds is next to impossible. I have always worked out consistently throughout my life (3-4 x/wk) and know that upping my exercise was not the answer. I did increase my weights when I lift though and try to throw in a hike once a week.

So it had to come from my diet. I wanted something sustainable. I looked at the foods that I ate and tried to increase foods that made me feel full longer (eggs, cottage cheese, meat, oats, nuts) and tried to reduce foods like bread, rice, pasta, totillias. Its not that I don't eat carbs, I do, but I eat them knowing that I will be hungry again sooner and I will have to account for that. I have increased veges since they tend to have so little calories and lots of good nutrients. I also cut my portion sizes. I started by logging my food to get an idea of portion sizes etc. but I don't log my food now because it makes me focus too much on FOOD if that makes any sense. I start to focus on what to eat for this and that, thinking about my next meal. And in reality no matter how hard you try it will never be completely accurate, just like you will never really know exactly how many calories your body is expending.

This is sustainable for me. I don't weigh myself daily, just once a week because it pops into my head to do it. I want to get away from the scale and focus on how I feel and how my clothes feel.

If you feel like you eat too much because you are alone perhaps get an active hobby? Try finding people that like to do what you like through meetup or your community center. Try to make it a group is not centered on food/drinks but an activity. If you feel obligated to eat certain foods, take a few bites of a few items so you can see how they taste. If you want a larger meal take it into account and exercise extra that day or the next. When you visit your daughters just be mindful of what you are eating to help with portions and throw in a daily walk with them. Think of maintaining while on vacation rather than losing weight.

Don't give up. Do what is sustainable for you and moves you towards your goal.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I started out at 1200 calories (per MFP recommendations). I did lose some weight but then one day I started shaking and couldn't stop.. I realized I wasn't eating enough. I bumped my calories up to 1400 and guess what... I still lost! In fact, I lost quicker. I'm no poster child for sticking to it.. I've been off the wagon for a month now. Oddly I haven't gained.

Just stick with it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    How tall are you??
    I started out on 1200+exercise calories and it worked for awhile, until it didn't. I learned from some of the 'meanies' on here about TDEE-% and looked into that.

I started eating 1200 calories a day, just like MFP told me to do. I felt so righteous eating Laughing Cow cheese on a dry English muffin for breakfast, a salad for lunch and small portions at dinner. I joined the local gym and was amazed when I was able to walk for 30 minutes straight on the treadmill. I was doing awesome! But I was also hungry, kinda miserable and definitely wanting the good food I was accustomed to. I no longer enjoyed eating, it gave me no pleasure or satisfaction. It became a chore to eat the bare minimum of calories. Yes, dieting sucked!!

I started reading in the forums and found “In Place of a Road Map”. That single post changed my life! I learned about TDEE, BMR and a sustainable lifestyle. My weight loss strategy suddenly changed from a temporary diet to a long term way of life – one of eat a little less, move a little more.

I have lost 50+ lbs with that strategy. I eat TDEE-500 calories, walk about 15-20miles/week and do strength training (honestly, I'm not consistent enough to see any real results yet, but I will get there). The best part is that losing weight is not a chore, a job. It is a new lifestyle I fully embrace and enjoy.

Just try the suggestions you have been given for 90 days. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. If you don't like the results, you can always go back to 1200cals/day.

I am 52yo, 5'4". See my profile or http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1316322-birthday-progress-w-pics for my success story.
  • LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    On carbohydrate restriction: there's contentious disagreement on whether "calories are calories" or if it matters WHAT you eat. I reduced the amount of sugar and carbs that I ate (when I successfully lost 20 pounds) and found that NOT ONLY did I lose weight, but the depression I endured for years also went away.

So while I did not read the rather long posts on carbohydrate restriction here, I think the author has a point. Maybe the real issue is the bagels I'm so fond of, and the rice. Maybe the quality of my calories (vice quantity) will make a difference. It worked before.

And maybe I shouldn't decide my ideal weight by looking at 5'4" fitness models and telling myself, "She weighs 123 pound, so I should weigh about that, too!"

I am loveable, even if I don't have the body of an Oxygen girl. I just need to work out, eat well (and reasonable amounts), and smile.

And I have to stop being afraid of my aging body. Worries like this eventually push me to settle and marry men who aren't that great so I won't be alone.

Let's see if reducing carbs and trying to enjoy the gym help. Thatnks for all the advice.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I bet you will survive.

At least.

Mostly bad advice, but breakfast doesn't work for everyone. Eating in the morning makes me ravenous. But not calorie counting? That's fun! I couldn't imagine NOT calorie counting.

Same here. I used to hate it, but now I see it as an empowering game/challenge. I enjoy having control over it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Think about investing in a food scale and weighing everything that enters your mouth. You'll find yourself with more wiggle room by being meticulous with your entries. I think logging as accurately as you possibly can will be your saving grace, since your calorie goal doesn't leave much room.

Also, if you exercise, you should be eating those calories, since it's 'extra' work you're putting your body through. This is what increases your calorie goal, and eating those extra calories will actually go a long way for you physically and mentally.

So in short, until you have an accurate account of your calorie consumption, you're probably not going to see the losses you're looking for, because really, right now, your logging is just a guess and not all that accurate. And because it's not accurate, you are probably eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You need to up your protein, lower your carbs and cut back on those sugar calories.
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would stop looking at the scale since it's making you discouraged. Just be cool and comfortable with being overweight. Stop making it a struggle. Be happy where you are. Tell yourself you are gorgeous and you are happy with your body as it is (even if this is not true, keep telling it to yourself).

Meanwhile, always try to improve your habits to be more and more healthy. Set little behavioural goals (like drinking more water, having more salad) and meet them. Focus on what you CAN eat, not on what you can't eat. How delicious can you make your veggies today? Can you try your hand at some exotic recipes? Before you know it, you'll be losing weight.
  • Sf0rza
    Sf0rza Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wait, you are so miserable about missing out on nice food that you're thinking of switching to a liquid meal replacement???

How would that even work? You like food! Sounds like punishment, and wouldn't solve the problem.

The really good thing about calorie logging is you work out where to compromise. For example, I've stopped eating chocolate, but I do eat pizza and drink wine. I am a little bit sad that I can't pile into the pizza and wine like I used but that's just maths.

Totally agree with justlistening above - work on getting a good balance of nutrients that will keep you satisfied. Build in the treats. Don't push your body all the time - give your body time to recover. You look great right now! Think you need to be kind to yourself.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    And this is when IIFYM (Flexible Dieting) comes into play.

This a link where it talks about how you can eat the foods you enjoy and still lose weight. Its long but Its worth reading.

http://www.anasci.org/ebooks/Guide_to_Flexible_Dieting.pdf
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I bet you will survive.

At least.

Nonsense.

It will NOT screw up your metabolism.

Over a few days, you will NOT get ravenously hungry in the afternoon.

In fact, you stomach should shrink, and your cravings should change.

Ingesting a huge breakfast is a phenomenon of our modern age.

That goes a long way in explaining today's obesity epidemic.

Be kind to your stomach.

Don't fill it up with crap in the morning.

1. Meal timing is personal preference.
    2. Monitoring intake (calorie counting, portion control etc.) has to happen in some form in order to create a deficit. (lose weight)
    3. A huge breakfast is not the explanation to obesity. A calorie surplus is how people gain weight.

OP:
    Read the links provided for you in this thread.

especially this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • werdnek
    werdnek Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use My Fitness Pal (MFP) as opposed to another tracker called Sparks because MFP is more user friendly but SPARKS did list my calorie intake from 1200 to 1600 so when I eat 1600 I do NOT beat myself up. Sometimes I give up (kind of) but I always list everything I eat. Sometimes it's not as bad as I think. I thought yesterday was a bad day because I had an orang pop and a date square. I felt crappy last night and thought about eating but realized I wasn't hungry I was just trying to do something good from myself cause I felt bad and was equating nutrition to feeling better. Then I thought I'll just feel worse by eating cause at this point there would be not shut off valve. I didn't enter my food yesterday. Today I woke up and went to Goodlife - I'm the slow uncoordinated one on the floor - I don't care - I'm there and I know (from past experience) that I'll get better. I ate a nice organic (yes treat yourself girl to a nice organic) tomato and eggwhite fired in olive oil - that's why I could last 2 hours at the gym (took two one-hour classes). If I can't get it with speed, I'll get it with endurance. Anyways, I came back home. Decided to be a big girl and track yesterday's food - turns out I didn't go over my calories. Course, nutrition wise - that's another story.
    If you are going to make pancakes for your daughters then also include protein with this meal - bacon and eggs - why not.. then lower calorie lunch. I just had fried sole fish and an apple. Did not want to eat my asparagus - so I'll have that later. Your girls are watching you - being obsessive about your food intake is a part of being insecure. If you don't want your girls to be insecure, employee good nutritional eating with them. The
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    On carbohydrate restriction: there's contentious disagreement on whether "calories are calories" or if it matters WHAT you eat. I reduced the amount of sugar and carbs that I ate (when I successfully lost 20 pounds) and found that NOT ONLY did I lose weight, but the depression I endured for years also went away.

So while I did not read the rather long posts on carbohydrate restriction here, I think the author has a point. Maybe the real issue is the bagels I'm so fond of, and the rice. Maybe the quality of my calories (vice quantity) will make a difference. It worked before.

And maybe I shouldn't decide my ideal weight by looking at 5'4" fitness models and telling myself, "She weighs 123 pound, so I should weigh about that, too!"

I am loveable, even if I don't have the body of an Oxygen girl. I just need to work out, eat well (and reasonable amounts), and smile.

And I have to stop being afraid of my aging body. Worries like this eventually push me to settle and marry men who aren't that great so I won't be alone.

Let's see if reducing carbs and trying to enjoy the gym help. Thatnks for all the advice.

I think there's lots of helpful advice in this thread, which I mostly agree with and I think you have to stop looking at it as punishment and try a change in perspective in how you look at food, the food your body deserves for fuel and it doesn't have to taste bad. I'll be the first to say I love and grew up on a carb heavy diet like white rice with butter, bagels with cream cheese and chocolate chip cookies, but I know those things don't nourish my body. I've noticed when I eat more protein and even more fat that the carb cravings are greatly diminished.
    I definitely went through a phase of okay, I'll just sit here and eat my carrot sticks while the rest of you enjoy wet burritos with rice and beans, but I try to find enjoyment in other things in life besides food, like different hobbies I enjoy. I think as women growing up we've been trained to find comfort in food and it's not healthy. Also maybe depending on your girls age, maybe you can get them on board, and make them healthy stuff too, it's never too early to teach children healthy eating habits.
    Ultimately, you have to find something sustainable that doesn't feel like punishment. I air pop my popcorn and bring it in my purse and allow myself some m&ms at the movies, as long as I practice portion control. When you go out to dinner, get the salad, but allow yourself a couple pieces of bread or maybe split a dessert, total deprivation will only take you so far, and of course as others have said start some weight training, you can do super sets to get a bigger calorie burn and lastly at 47 (for me) Oxygen model is probably not going to happen, I'm just trying to be realistic, but I know I'm doing better than most, for my age and am still rocking a bikini. Do I have a six pack, not yet, but I won't stop until I'm dead, probably, lol You can do this!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Please read the links I posted on the first page. I know it's a lot of information, but it will help you.

Are you planning on quitting carbs for the rest of your life? Most of my diet is carbs (vegetarian here). You really shouldn't be miserable and only eating salad. You can eat other things. I have a friend on here and she's lost 109 lbs eating the things she loves to eat.

Lifestyle sustainable changes. You have to make your life fit into your "diet" though I don't like calling it a diet because diet is temporary.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I do count out things like pretzel chips. If it says a serving is 23 chips I count out 23 and bring those to work.

And I have reduced my weight loss goal from 1 pound a week to .5 pounds a week. That will allow me to eat 1320 calories a day, which is closer to what I was eating anyway.

I think I'm just struggling, psychologically. Like I said a moment ago, I have even considered giving up food all together and switching to Soylent.

And it bothers me that I'm suffering from bursitis. A man who loves and supports me joked about me getting a walker and I started to panic. I worry I'm reaching an age where I can't work out like I used to. After my last mobilization to Afghanistan I suffered a lot of shoulder and neck pain from the added weights I carried in and out of the war zone... I worry I'm getting too old to keep up with the boys and too old to reach the figure of the models on my Oxygen magazines.

Other than the loose skin around my waist I'm actually very satisfied with my body. My arms and legs are tone and hard... my butt could be better. A tummy tuck would fix that last thing I can't seem to eliminate.

But I want to believe I can reach this arbitrary number by dieting and working out. I'm starting to think that maybe I can't. Or I can, but it won't be worth it. (I'll probably still need surgery.)

Maybe it's time to step away from the computer for a while.

I have found that restricting, or eliminating as much processed sugars and grains as I can from my diet, helps tremendously with pain. Those foods can be inflammatory for some people, and reducing the inflammation by cutting them out, reduces the pain level.

As for Soylent- I have no idea what that is, but my first thought was the movie- Soylent Green. It's PEOPLE! They're eating PEOPLE! :laugh:
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert with lots of experience at this, however in my effort to learn I did as you asked and viewed your diary prior to the last week or so...I don't see any big glaring issues, but I see a lot of what I'd consider little things that combined may be the reason for your frustration. Specifically I'm looking at Tues. 6/17

BREAKFAST
    On the half English muffin did you put anything on it? Butter, cream cheese jelly etc.?
    You show the Lucerne Coffee Creamer...what about the coffee you put it in. When I enter the Yuban coffee in my diary it shows 3 calories...not a big deal, but does add up.

LUNCH & DINNER
    Nothing stands out

SNACK
    Again...what did you put the raw sugar and half & half into?

It's those "sneaker" calories I think that end up derailing us.

Please don't think you're the only one puzzled by this. I've been pretty diligent for the last 4 weeks with exercise and 3 with diet and as of day before yesterday....hadn't lost an ounce. This is from someone used to eating 3500 to 4500 calories a day....now doing less than 1800. The MFP shows I would maintain at 1860 calories/day. I gain another 250 to 450 from exercise and then eat maybe 1400 or 1500....logging virtually everything I eat...if it passes my lips...it goes in the diary and when in doubt...I weigh it....something is wrong and I have to figure out what, so I share your frustrations.
  • LisasLastTen
    Options
    I think I'm also just angry because it took me six weeks to lose four pounds and four days to gain it all back.

And I don't mean four days of gluttony, just four days at an amusement park with my kids.

And "pizza" is just an example of what I would think of as "normal American food." I don't love pizza, but I like being able to eat food that my kids enjoy and that the American populace seems to enjoy... not all the time but every once in a while.

Once my daughters are gone I'll give this another go... though I worry my next two week trip is going to throw me off again. And I guess I just don't want to spend the rest of my life measuring food and going to the gym. Thirteen hours pass rom the time I get up to get ready for work to the time I return to my apartment after work. I then eat a small meal (I can only have about 350 calories at that point) and watch "The Daily Show" and "Colbert" on Hulu. Then, once my stomach is settled, I go to the gym. I buy groceries if I need to, check my email, and go to bed. This is my schedule every day. I can't date. I don't have any friends. It's just me and the cat.

And I guess I wish my life were more than counting calories and working out, that's all. I keep thinking that at some point I'll be able to slack up a little and make friends or have a boyfriend or something, but if I either never reach my goal weight or know I'll immediately gain weight back if I stop going to the gym or eat a little extra two days in a row, then isn't all of this completely futile?

I'm honestly starting to envy the overweight people I see in restaurants with their spouses and families. Sure, they aren't lean and strong, but they have people around them to talk to who love them. I'd trade being thin for that any day.

I just want to be able to socialize again, but I feel guilty being out in public when I can't eat and all the time I'm worried about the gym time I'm missing.
  • LisasLastTen
    Options
    And while I appreciate the friend requests, I'm not comfortable friending people I've never met :-(

(I'm not even on Facebook.)