Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are any of you as frustrated about online dating as I am?

jjscholar
jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
Is is just me or do any of you feel that online dating is more of a pain than meeting people in traditional ways?

I have to admit that I am not great at the online dating thing.

Replies

• bmtelle
    bmtelle Posts: 17 Member
    It's definitely not just you.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    AMEN! I joined two dating sites and one of them I quit after two days. The other I've been on for a little over a year and only been on one date and that date was a dud for the most part.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Such bad experiences online dating, mainly old men or sleazes like me, no actually fairly normal acting people respond to me, probably cos of my look. So I have been single 7 years, not one date. I haven't been dated in my lifetime, I think it's just where I live too Culturally speaking. Also in NZ the men keep going overseas and marrying foreigners and women go overseas and come back single we out number the men 3 to 1 here. Fun times haha
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    well, CharleePear, you'd better believe you are stunning, &

when you want to find the right guy, sure you will! dates can be fun!!

So can going out!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I found them a total waste of money. Older guys only looking for young women, totally out of my geographic area (like Iowa - no offense), totally too young guys looking for "cougars." Idiots! I only went out with three guys. One never called back. One was a self-admitted couch potato and kept telling me that all evening. One would call me at 5:30pm to go out that evening, and was broke from supporting two kids in college.
  • jleui
    jleui Posts: 1 Member
    I'm not a big fan of online dating but I met the man of my life on OkCupid in January. :) You might like this TED talk from a girl who was also frustrated with online dating : https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    It can be a breeding ground for fakes and creeps, just like with anything that's "online".
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah, I had a terrible time with that. Then I decided I was happy being by myself and focused on enjoying my life and making it great. Just a couple months after I had quit looking, I met a guy (on myspace, of all things) who was also not looking for a relationship. We went out a couple of times, as "friends" and within a few weeks we knew we would be together forever. After a long engagement, we've been married 5 years now.
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    I had a mixed experience, some weirdos but it all ended good. So pleased I didn't give up after the first month or so, I got my happy ending! They aren't all weirdos thankfully :bigsmile: 9 years later wouldn't have done anything differently. :love:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I'm not a big fan of online dating but I met the man of my life on OkCupid in January. :) You might like this TED talk from a girl who was also frustrated with online dating : https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating

Great video. I never watched a TED talk before. I'm going to take another look at my profile.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Back when I was 20 I decided to make a profile on a dating site which included the option "looking for friends". I was looking for a buddy to hang out with and play games, and made that very clear on my profile. I got two messages, one from a 60 something man who asked if I was willing to perform certain sexual acts, and one from a girl who could not stop talking about her ex and the drama that surrounded it. Needless to say I deactivated my profiler, and that was the last time I ever used a website dedicated to matching people.

In reality, this whole dating concept is foreign to me. It's like an "interview for a boyfriend". All of my relationships were just friendships that grew to become more than that.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    OMG I can't believe even guys my age just want to have sex. I am so mad! I'm trying meetup groups but I find most of the people are in their 20's or 30's. It's good though cuz it gets me out of the house. I tried OKCupid and was thinking of paying for another site but reading the reviews it's the same. Guess I'm doomed to not have a man. At least I have my dog. I also wrote in my ad looking for activity partner. I would like to write NOT INTERESTED IN SEX. LOL
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    I had LOADS of trouble with online dating. I took a break from it for a while because everyone i seemed to meet were asshats. Then back in 2010 i though 'why not give it a go' went on Match and Eharmony and guess what it told me 'sorry their is no one who matches you in your area' that was a massive confidence boost ¬_¬ (can you tell that was sarcastic) but i just kept going and i did meet someone and now we are married. I know a lot of people it has worked for (most of my friend found their partners at OkCupid) but i also know a lot of people who have had no luck with it. Hope you have better luck soon x
  • I have been fairly lucky in that I have not had that many 'creepy' people contact me but I agree it can be super frustrating.

I have been on a dating site for over a year and while I find the site quite good at making it easier to avoid the creeps it is frustrating when it doesn't go anywhere. At first I went on a few dates with some nice people but there just wasn't an attraction there which was fair enough but now nothing... All of the guys I might be interested in are not interested in me and vise versa. I find it very difficult meeting people "in the real world" so yeah I totally agree with you all.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    I hate online dating. For some reason, I have fairly normal conversations with decent looking guys for about a week and then they decide it is time to send me a junk pic :huh:
  • stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    I'll attempt it after I reach my goal weight. I'm not one to talk to strangers or go to the bar or even hang with a group of friends so dating or even a date is rare.

How ever I will read about what other people are eating and what their workouts have been. I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as a weirdo from the internet.
  • I was on a few site after my divorce as I never went anywhere. Met some right weirdos but here I am 4 years later married again to an amazing guy stick with it they aren't all bad
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    online setting makes people feel braver to speak to me

in public no one speaks to me (which is okay i give off a stay the fvck away from me vibe I know) unless its the cat callling bullsh!t

online dating is interesting and the two people I have met because of it make it worth it
  • SimplyMandee
    SimplyMandee Posts: 6 Member
    online dating SUCKS.
  • SimplyMandee
    SimplyMandee Posts: 6 Member
    Charlee, i have been single for 7 years, the people i have met online have all turned out to be perverts or jerks. dont feel bad, only old men or creepy ones message me too! and i dont think you look any different than anyone else.