I'm a Nerd and proud of it

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between a nerd and a geek? I get them confused.

let me help you with a handy Venn diagram:

ry%3D400
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options

The word "geek" comes from a term describing carnival sideshow freaks, and came to mean a person outside the mainstream. "Nerd" comes from a character in Dr. Seuss, and came to mean a boring person, or a "square," later taking "on connotations of bookishness and social ineptitude." (source: Wikipedia)

Personally, I see both as people who see the extraordinary in the ordinary. The people who can talk passionately about the chemical reactions involved in cooking, or absolutely fall in love with a book. They are the people who get excited about the things that other people only view as weird ("geeks") or boring ("nerds").
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    just popping in to make sure this thread doesn't die

ry%3D400
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

ry%3D400
    Ah, thanks. It looks like I tend more towards the Geek side I suppose. Does that mean I can't play on this thread anymore?
  • KatieJane83
    Options

ry%3D400
    Ah, thanks. It looks like I tend more towards the Geek side I suppose. Does that mean I can't play on this thread anymore?

I tend to look at it as all one big, happy, slightly dysfunctional family, lol. And I'm like you, according to that chart I tend to fall into the geek category, lol.

I'd like to think all are welcome here! I'm pretty sure most of us here have experienced enough exclusionary attitudes from others at some point in their lives to not need any more of it here! Come one, come all, and wave those geek/nerd/dweeb/dork/whatever flags high, I say.
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Geeks and Nerds are ok, but I'll have to draw the line a dorks. :wink: (kidding- I work with a lot of them.)
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Geeks and Nerds are ok, but I'll have to draw the line a dorks. :wink: (kidding- I work with a lot of them.)

lol, nice
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    A dork by any other name : ) we all have a little of the dork in us or we are trying to hard
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning with some Doctor Horrible in my head.

... And I need to watch the Guild next!
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to hide my nerdiness when I was younger. I so badly wanted to be like the cooler kids, and they made fun of me for liking anime, and manga, and pokemon.. and fantasy books.. Luckily I came to terms with the fact that I'll never be cool, so I stopped trying. :P

Also-- I haven't heard the word "dweeb" in a long time. I find it a hilarious word, lol!
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Also also-- I just spent 20 minutes reading this entire thread.

And loved every minute of it.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was a cook right out of hs for 11 years, then I decided to lease a computer. looked inside it, researched the parts, thought, hey they are ripping me off, and this looks easy. Built my first computer from scratch a couple months after leasing my computer. AMD k62 500. Shortly after I quit my job, and went to school to get A+ and Net+. Since then been building computers, making interweb sites, and other computer / network related stuff. Not sure if that is nerdy or not, but I was a late bloomer none the less. I was pretty dorky in school and sat at the rejects of the rejects table.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options

ry%3D400

Been laughing hysterically at this ..... I can say with authority that I am neither a dork nor a dweeb .....
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options

ry%3D400

Been laughing hysterically at this ..... I can say with authority that I am neither a dork nor a dweeb .....

Then you are, by definition, a geek. I think that's where I fall out on this Venn.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I identify as geek. Pretty sure I have been there for quite a while.

Say anything different and I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ha, pretty much a geek myself.

And proud.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

ry%3D400

Then you are, by definition, a geek. I think that's where I fall out on this Venn.

I searched this in vain to find where "engineer" fell. I peeled up the word "nerd" and found it.

To all engineers - this is NOT a scratch and sniff. This has been verified.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    I identify as geek. Pretty sure I have been there for quite a while.

Say anything different and I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Same here, through and through.

And don't worry, I'll kill them with my brain for you :wink:
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "Nerds" and "geeks" are so much more attractive. Just sayin'.
  • MetalTes
    MetalTes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At 45 years of age, I still play D&D. Nerd level +10.

Yup, 43 and still playing too, actually we meet in less than an hour, so if you'll excuse me, I need to go summon my inner orc...