I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to go when it is least busy-- I am forever searching for times when it is close to empty (lately this has been early in the morning).
    And then i just try to tune out anyone else. Focus on whatever I am doing and ignore anyone else (unless they need to work in between sets where i am) and hopefully they are not just throwing weights on the ground.
  • meganreinsch
    meganreinsch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have chosen to workout at 6:00am. First of all because it works into my scheduled. Secondly, because the gym is quiet - I have learned to not be intimated in the "weight section". However, when I am fighting with the big guy hogging all the dumbbells for one square ft of space it can be intimidating. I enjoy my peace and quiet in order to lift those weights to the best of my abilities !
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I run a gym at a college rec center and I'm actually THRILLED to see that the ladies are taking over our weight room!

We have the highest number of female participants in the morning, before it gets too busy/crowded. This morning (8:00 am) there were probably 4-5 women and only 2-3 men!

I'm not sure why this is happening on our campus but I am so pumped! I've been here for 4 years and have never seen the tables turn. During our busy times during the semester, I've seen 150 men on the floor with NO women at all. I hope some of the trend sticks (and expands) once the fall semester rolls back around!
  • RGreenthumb
    RGreenthumb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Right, I've decided to give it a go. I've got an induction at my gym (where I mostly do classes) to ask how to use the weights. I'm currently imagining all manner of ways that I could make myself look stupid and be laughed put of town, but hopefully they're all pretty unlikely.

I'll report back, unless a great pit of shame opens up and swallows me whole because I ask a really stupid question.
  • RGreenthumb
    Options
    Well I went and I asked to be shown the free weights. What did I get shown? The treadmill? I asked a second time and got shown the bike. I asked a third time and got told women don't really lift weights so he couldn't show me them. What the actual hell?! I kicke up a fuss and I have an appointment with someone who might be able to help on Thursday, but I'm not that hopeful, particularly as this gym seems to mainly just have weights machines.

Argh! I definitely need to do this now, so that I have muscles big enough to punch people who say this type of thing.
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Men like it when girls are in the weight room, as oppose to just waking around the gym. Beside, you do what ever necessary to achieve your goals any where any time.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well I went and I asked to be shown the free weights. What did I get shown? The treadmill? I asked a second time and got shown the bike. I asked a third time and got told women don't really lift weights so he couldn't show me them. What the actual hell?! I kicke up a fuss and I have an appointment with someone who might be able to help on Thursday, but I'm not that hopeful, particularly as this gym seems to mainly just have weights machines.

Argh! I definitely need to do this now, so that I have muscles big enough to punch people who say this type of thing.
    Yikes, that is awful. I would definitely switch gyms, if that is an option.

You know who first told me that women needed to lift weights? An aerobic instructor! We were in the middle of a class and she said, "You know ladies, this will help you lose weight, but if you want to really firm up, y'all are going to have to start lifting." Due to her influence, the weight room at our YMCA is usually populated by both genders. It's awesome.
  • RGreenthumb
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yikes, that is awful. I would definitely switch gyms, if that is an option.

[/quote]

Well I've paid for the year at my gym since it was a really good deal to do so. It's part of a group of local fitness centres, so I've Facebooked to ask if they have more equipment hidden at my local gym, or if they have more at any of the others, so hopefully someone will reply to that. Otherwise, I've found another gym that's pretty reasonable and offers a pay as you go option so I'll look into that a bit more. It'd be annoying to have to go to two different places, but at least I've already almost made my money back from all the classes I've been to (a couple of which I love so want to keep doing regardless of whether I like lifting or not) and a pay as you go option will at least let me test out cheaply whether I like it or not.

Who knew it would be so difficult to find somewhere to lift heavy things!
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    I just want to say thank you for this thread, I have been reading endless posts about heavy lifting and was really interested in starting it. I was so nervous to go into the free weights section of the gym as it is a separate room, only men in there. I was so frightened to look stupid in front of the other gym goers. I had been considering getting a personal trainer just once so I could get him to take me in there and show me the weights, how ridiculous is that?!

Well yesterday I just could not be bothered to keep admiring the weights section, so after two failed attempts I went in the room. Guess what no one even looked at me, All that build up for nothing! Thanks for the thread it really helped me :)
  • Schirminator86
    Schirminator86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nicely written and so true. :smile:

I started weightlifting 6 months ago and at the beginning it was a daily drag to the gym for me. Meanwhile I switched gym. My new one is a powerlifting only gym. :heart:

I have a new hobby! It is so much fun and such a big achievement when you go up in weights. :)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread thread helped me walk into the free weights section of my gym during the first week of May to start Stronglifts 5x5. I was so nervous on the first day that I wanted to throw up.

Fast forward to 8 weeks later... and now the men that used to curl in the squat rack see me walk in at 5am, clear their weight plates off the bar, and GTFO of my way :wink:
  • turbojn997
    turbojn997 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I respect the girls in the weight room. Nothing shows dedication more than when a girl walks in and sets up the squat rack or grabs the dumbells. Keep it up ladies! Don't let the tools make you nervous.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    the only thing sexier than a girl walking into the weight room, is a girl walking out all pumped up!
  • Semarshman
    Semarshman Posts: 19
    Options
    This just seems so funny to me. I have been lifting weights since I was in my 20's. (I am now 47). It never even occurred to me that women did not belong in the weight room. At one point, in my late 20's I even had a male weight lifting partner. He was the most built guy in the gym and we had a great time together. I really wish I had kept up with the weights. I kind of stopped doing that while I took up long distance running. Now I am just getting back into it after years and years out of the picture. I am hoping that it really helps me get back to the body I want to have. Best part, is that my youngest daughter is doing the workouts with me. I am sure we will both enjoy the results.
  • BenVoiles
    BenVoiles Posts: 17
    Options
    When I go to a new gym I can usually tell the women that use free weights by their facial expressions. Women that use free weights almost always exude a look of confidence. I have never met a woman that used free weights that didn't love going to the gym. I've met many women who just do cardio machines and they seem to usually have a look of dread on their faces. They even walk differently. Go use the free weights, they will help you, but most importantly realize that you belong there, that you are a winner, and that you refuse to lose. Don't be intimidated, we were all beginners at one time. Go in their like you OWN the place!!!!
  • be_AL
    be_AL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just remember, ladies, most of the men at most gyms have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what they are doing. Don't be intimidated by people who are just as lost as you ;)

... and check out Awkward Gym Moments on Facebook... don't do anything on those compilation videos :p
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, my gym is a kind of old school and guys on weights are really experts to the last detail, some of them even compete in weightlifting. I'm glad to be there! Sometimes I feel kinda like a moron but never mind...:smile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just remember, ladies, most of the men at most gyms have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE what they are doing. Don't be intimidated by people who are just as lost as you ;)

... and check out Awkward Gym Moments on Facebook... don't do anything on those compilation videos :p

This is so true. I was very lucky and had a buddy who was an experienced weightlifter show me the ropes so I at leasted started off well. Still have had to un-learn bad habits along the way though.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, my friend and I would go to the gym with her mom. Basically we played in the pool and ate at the snack shack while said mom did the treadmill and stair climber. From that point up until the recent past, gyms have always felt like the place where men went to lift and grunt and women went to cardio and scowl. I know it's not the case as much now, but it's definitely hard to break away from the notions and what once was the norm.

I know now, lifting will be an absolute must in order for me to reach the level of fitness I desire. The machines have never looked like fun (wipe sweat off, apply sweat, wipe sweat off) but the free weights have always intrigued me. I feel as if they look like they would do you more good if done correctly as you have to be in control of every aspect of the exercise, likely developing things like better coordination, posture, and balance.

Reading this topic has absolutely boosted my desire to try and I have a gym that is open at midnight (when I get off work) so the chances of weights/lifting situation being available and unintimidating are very good. I know what it's like to feel a lot fitter/stronger than my current state, but I've never known the wonder that is regular strength training strong. Sounds lovely.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome, we are glad to have you here