My dad just passed away. Lost my motivation

Options
Hey, my name is Michelle and I am 21 years old. My dad passed away 2 weeks ago on fathers day from a massive heart attack. These past two weeks have been miserable and i haven't been eating, or when i do eat, it isn't healthy at all. I know that i need to get back to this but i need a lot of help..I would love some motivation and support from people who understand what i'm going through or who won't judge me.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Beautiful_disaster40
    Options
    Oh sweetie, I have no advice but I'm so sorry. Big hugs
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can do this... I know with a loss its extremely heartbreaking. Take it day by day if you need to. Lets get the motivational train moving.

You are your dads greatest gift he can give to the world. Don't ever forget that..
  • MysticTrev
    MysticTrev Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello. I seen your post and I first want to say Im sorry for your loss. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago only mine was with my cousin who was like a brother to me.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, my mom passed in January, also unexpectedly. Losing weight might not be top priority at the moment, come back to it in a month. It's hard to eat whats "right" when no food sounds good. Therapy helps a lot, but honestly its just really hard for a while. The good news is after about 3 months it was bearable. Keep your chin up as much as possible, and stay distracted if that helps. Feel free to send me a FR and chat if that might help
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    Shell,

You have your whole life ahead of you and innumerable things that you could do. Be sad that he's gone, but know that he is still with you in spirit and would want you to succeed at all goals that you set, and achieve all things that you desire. I know it's not going to be an easy road, but you can do it. Life is a constant uphill battle. You can chose to let it slow you down, or you can keep the beat and lift those feet and make up some time that you could be losing by dragging down.. All your MFPeeps have your back and know that whatever you put your mind to, you can achieve. You got this!

~Kevin
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry :( Take it easy on yourself. Give yourself time to grieve and just survive.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I went through something similarishh :/ My very close friend, a cousin who might as well been my brother, and my grandpa who i grew up living with all died in 2 months.. and my husband also become unemployed...
    I gave up too. It took me way too long to get back on the right track. I'd hate for that to happen to you, because according to your ticker.. you are doing amazing and have came A LONG WAYS.

I am very positive your father would not want his death to cause you to give up. I was told this too. I knew they were right.. but it didn't change the hurt inside of me. I wish I could go back and just work out and eat right despite how i felt. and just done it..

Don't loose this time in your life.. left your grief drive you. Don't get me wrong.. you need to heal... but don't let yourself go..

*hugs*
  • iaminspired127
    iaminspired127 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

My heart is with you as I am struggling with the same thing. My step father passed away from the same thing two weeks before Christmas and it has been extremely difficult. Following his passing I have gained 10lbs, lost all motivation and went into major junk food eating. Some weeks I have pulled myself together and got back on track and other weeks I am just a lost cause.

The only advice I can give you is advice I keep telling myself, " You have to do this for your dad, eat better and exercise so you can extend your life."

In my case I am 25 years old with a husband and two small children, we have all been devastated since my step father passed away, the kids terribly miss their grandpa as well. The best thing I can do for them and him is to eat better and exercise in hopes that I to do not pass away early of heart disease.

I hope you find your motivation and wish you the best of luck in your healing process, remember it won't be easy but you can do it and overcome the obstacles in your way.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. {{{hugs}}}} When my mother died, I was shocked to find I had no energy for running. I think I may have gone through the motions with weights, but I was void of all strength. Just keep going. It will come back, I promise. I was starting to worry that I'd never find my legs again, but I did, and I'm so happy. Your dad would want you to get back up and do it.

Take care of yourself.
  • taydelanie
    taydelanie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad when I was 20 and it completely de-railed my fitness. (I'm 22 and just now trying to change my bad habits) It can be so tough at times but you will find strength that you didn't know you had through your struggles. I believe in you!
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    so sorry for your loss, (((HUGS)) prayers going out to you and your family in this sad time. Just take time to greive and do what you need to do, don't beat yourself up for not eating perfectly right now ok, give yourself some time to heal, and when your ready you can always come back and slowly start making better eating choices... and sense your Dad passed of a major heart attack, that should be some encouragement to try to get healthier, when your ready of course... you don't have to rush.

anyways hang in there ok.... and take time to take care of yourself, and surround yourself around good family and freinds for now..ok.

Take care
    God Bless
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't know the right words to say except that I am so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
  • QuietAlex
    QuietAlex Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost my father March 30 of this year. He was only 48 years old and I am 22. It was something that I just didn't want to believe. I will tell you right now that the pain will be there and you will always miss him but eventually you will think back on him with happier thoughts. But it's hard, even now for myself. But stay around love ones and cry when you need to and talk when you want to. That is what helped me a lot during these times.

I completely understand how you feel. I was also at school and left for a week and lucky for me, the following week was spring break. I spent two weeks back home. I can tell you that on some days, I ate very little. Other days, i did nothing but eat. My mom's family came over every day of those 2 weeks to bring food to make sure we were eating and had food. Honestly, I'm glad they were there to make sure we ate something and to make sure we weren't wasting away in bed.

At the beginning of the second week I weighed myself and was about 175. In a way, I felt powerless with the death of my father and I needed to be in control over something. After a week of over/under eating, I went back to watching what I was eating. I wasn't counting calories or logging anything at first, I just made sure to eat what I considered was at maintenance. After a month of doing just that, I went back to calorie counting and tracking what I was eating. I realized that I had to continue with my life and my father wouldn't have wanted me to fall back where I use to be. He was so proud I was changing my eating habits and becoming healthier and more confident as I continued to lose the weight. It actually inspired him to start doing the same. Unfortunately, he started too late.

Right now I'm 170 but I only weighed myself a few days ago. It was difficult and I did lose my motivation. I didn't start logging again until a month later. It takes time though. I would say to not worry right about food and make sure you are eating atleast something. When you feel ready to start again, it will happen.

If you want to talk, my messages are always open (I think). I send you a lot of love and support.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey, my name is Michelle and I am 21 years old. My dad passed away 2 weeks ago on fathers day from a massive heart attack. These past two weeks have been miserable and i haven't been eating, or when i do eat, it isn't healthy at all. I know that i need to get back to this but i need a lot of help..I would love some motivation and support from people who understand what i'm going through or who won't judge me.

Thank you! :)

first off condolences for your loss

My father who was fit as a fiddle most of his life had to have a quadruple bypass several years ago due to a minor heart malfunction (rare condition), but there was every possiblity he would not make it through the operation, thankfully he's fine now other then diabeties.

, I could only imagine if i lost my mother who is my life and my father who i am close too i don't know if i could cope either, i recently lost my last grandparent and that was tough, my grandmother was a second mother to me. and my two 12 year old dogs a few years ago that were almost my sole motivation to get off the couch that hit me even harder, All i can say is it does get easier, and take the time you need to grieve but just think would your father want you to stop living and harm your health by not eating, he would want you to continue being the best you can be and if you feel the need and are already a member of the gym, workouts are a great form of stress release, and lastly don't be afraid to let out the emotions. and eat something, doesn't matter too much at this stage just get some food into you, you will not get better if you are miserable from being hungry as much as it seems irrelevant atm.

Your father maybe watching over you still

Plenty of us here that can offer moral support however you need and if they judge you they are heartless
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry your father died. When my sister passed I did the same thing with food myself. What I will tell you is try to take a short walk daily not just for physical health but mental as well it helps clear the mind. This sounds cliquish but over time the hurt and pain subsides, you'll always miss them but it won't hurt as much.

Friend me and message me if you like.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    big HUGS girl...

take the time to grieve and don't be too hard on yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    take the time to grieve and don't be too hard on yourself. :flowerforyou:
    Take this advice, and I'm so sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law died in a car accident about two years ago, and losing someone so unexptectedly is very difficult on those they leave behind.

I do have a friend who started running (her own version of thearpy) after losing both parents in a relatively short time span, and she found it to be very helpful to get lost in that alone time on the road. You will get your motivation back in time...this is still so new.

Hang in there...time makes all things easier :flowerforyou:
  • RockStarlaa
    RockStarlaa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I can completely understand. I was doing great in my weight loss journey and my dad passed away on April 23rd at age 55. I totally lost all motivation. I still haven't been able to 100% get back on track but I'm trying. I make sure I log everything even if I know I'm WAY over. I am just taking it one day at a time. It's been very hard but after 2 months it has gotten somewhat better. Hang in there!!! HUGS!!!!
  • RockStarlaa
    RockStarlaa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add - I have let my father's passing open my eyes a lot. I know now why I have to take better care of my body. And I also know I need to really live life to the fullest because it can be cut short at any moment. :)