Does it Get Better?

Options
13»

Replies

• zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know everyone keeps saying "find something you like instead of running" (and that was my first thought too, when I read your post). But you've said that running is the thing you can do for free, from home, with your kids - so from a practical standpoint it sounds like the best option option if you want to do cardio.

So how do you get to like it? Maybe you won't but before giving up try:
    -- walking fast instead. As you get lighter and stronger you can start breaking into a run more and more often, for longer intervals
    -- adding some simple strength training. It truly is amazing how much difference core strength makes to almost everything you do. It made me a better cyclist for sure, and as I've started trail running this summer I think it is helping there too. Planks, basic body weight exercises, or things you do with just a few free weights will be fine to start, and can be done at home.
  • awesome_ani
    Options
    Start slow, focus on your eating and add activity that feels good. As your endurance and stamina increases you will find yourself wanting to do more, to challenge yourself, and it will keep getting better. There is nothing that feels more trap like than forcing yourself to do something that is way harder than you can manage at that time. If it is a video or program you REALLY want to do but is beyond your current level of fitness Modify Modify Modify. Keep in the game but do it at your pace, the pace will pick up naturally. Mix it up too. Find the win. Maybe do the hard program once a week and then the other days do something easier that will condition you (weight training, yoga, swimming, walking, jogging, whatever...) How cool would it be to come back in a week and get a little further than you did the week before? WIN! Find what works for you. See this process as flexible, if you need it to bend it will. It only breaks if you quit.

You can do it! We all can, we just have to find our groove. PEACE!:flowerforyou:
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just a thought here. People are probably going to hate me for saying this.
    Walking at a good steady pace (not strolling) for at least 1 hour burns up a lot more calories than running for 15 minutes. It uses up a lot less energy, you see more sights and enjoy the view. Don't forget to stretch before you walk though, you'll regret it if you don't.
    Have you ever thought of Aerobics in the gym. You can't get more fun and challenging than that. :bigsmile:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    As far as C25K is concerned, you're probably running too fast. Focus on controlling your pace and running as slow as possible. It may seem counterproductive, but you'll be able to run farther and won't feel like death.

^ THIS. Try going slower. If you can talk in a normal conversational voice, you're going too slow, but if you can't speak a full sentence, you're going too fast. You can work on improving speed after you've been running the 5K distance for several months and have built up a good endurance base.
  • JenniferRHughes
    JenniferRHughes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba? Love it and it burns lots of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets better. I agree to some extent with what people are saying about finding an activity you enjoy--my sister loves DVD's like Jillian's workouts and P90x, and I don't, but I love running and biking and hiking. But the thing is that usually cardio just isn't that fun at first--you have to get in minimal cardio shape to be able to go long enough to feel like you aren't struggling and start enjoying it.

And it's also possible the weather is making it harder depending on where you live. I find it takes time to adjust to hot or humid weather when you aren't used to it .

As others have said, one key if you are a new runner is going really slow. That's going to allow you to get into basic cardio shape and set you up so it's not your lungs that are the issue. At least for me running when I start up again and have to deal with my lungs being out of shape is not fun. Once that hump is over with and it's a matter of pushing myself to go longer and get faster, that kind of pushing my limits feels quite different and is fun. When people first start the often think they should run faster than is reasonable for them, and that's what is likely causing you difficulties with the C25K long run.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    First, I'd recommend you start doing things you love so when you're tired it's not as bad. Second, yes it gets easier. It sounds like you should have repeated a few weeks of the c25k before advancing.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    yes it does .... i promise you that .... just have to be consistence .... and control ... you will be in good shape ... feel free to add me if you need motivations ...
  • Nuttynutnuts
    Nuttynutnuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It gets so much easier! I used to be very unfit but now I crave the feeling I get from exercise and my mood gets low if I don't work out. I used to hate running before, but this year I ran a 10km, a 15km and a half marathon and I'm training for a marathon.

I love seeing my body get fitter and seeing what I can achieve. I love finding muscles in new places. I've found the elusive runner's high. But running might not be what you love. I'd suggest trying out lots of different exercises until you find one you like - why not try cycling, hiking, swimming, classes at the gym or lifting weights? Exercising with friends is fun too. There's so much choice out there.