Not new, but enjoying the journey and not starving myself!

Options
Chevy_Quest
Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
I am not new.. but....

I have found that there is another way!

I did deprivation "Hell"
I write this so just so that someone else doesn't have to go through all the hell I went through a few years ago. I am a 50 something 5'7" male who topped out at 203 sometime this winter. I am in the officially "obese" category and I did not look or feel good. Plus I was having all sorts of "aches and pains".

Lost some weight. but at a "cost"
A few years ago, I got "motivated" and did my usual eat as few calories as I could bear and workout like crazy. I got down to 181 by eating 1200-1400 calories per day and burning 600-800. It worked... for a while. But then one day I was doing my pitiful shuffle run in a hotel parking lot and I just had to sit down from exhaustion. I had only run 1/2 mile and had no endurance.

Of course I gained it all back and then some!
Plus I lost muscle mass! That means my LBM (Lean Body Mass) was less and I had a higher bodyfat %!

Started reading the "mean" people stuff and got smarter
I say this "tongue and cheek" because the the "mean" people are people who have learned discipline and realized that they can't blame external forces. There are a lot of "whining" posts written by people who just want people to "verify" their story.. they really don't want the truth. The truth is we have to be "self directed" and responsible... that is a tough pill to swallow for people sometimes.

I am seeing results

I know this is only two months in, but I am seeing results. I have logged every single day. Really been good about weighing and measuring. Things really started to get better when I started using the fitbit to keep me moving. (If I didn't move... it actually subtracted calories - if that doesn't kick your azz I don't know what will!)

10 day average weights.

May 01 - 197.2
May 15 - 194.3
Jun 01 - 193.7
Jun 15 - 191.5
Jun 30 - 191.3

I am on pace to lose 3-4 lbs per month! At this rate I should reach my initial goal about this time next year.

WTF - A year!

I have finally gotten it through my head that the weight didn't come on overnight and it sure as heck will not come off overnight. What keeps me going are NSVs of the physical variety. Running 5Ks and 10Ks eventually, Lifting more, starting Yoga etc.etc.etc.

---> If you are trying to eat 1200 calories or less, AND exercise 600-900 cals to achieve a net between 300 and 700 or even worse... PLEASE reconsider.... There IS a better way.

"Slow and Steady" :drinker: :smile:

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Options
    +
  • in_therain
    in_therain Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good post Chevy! I'm in the same mindset - if make smart choices, lose slowly, and don't completely deprive myself, the weight will come off and I'm more likely to stick with it.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Good post Chevy! I'm in the same mindset - if make smart choices, lose slowly, and don't completely deprive myself, the weight will come off and I'm more likely to stick with it.

Thanks - It really takes a while to get in that "long term" mindset! :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I keep seeing posts every day where people say "I would like to lose 15-20 lbs this month".
    What is sad is that I used to go "cool... how can I do it too!".

Of course its possible, but at what price.
  • cupcakesandvegetables
    Options
    Excellent post! I'm aiming to get into that mindset of losing slowly, well actually maintaining I am at a healthy weight and I am trying not to deprive myself because there is a little voice tell me I could lose more and I am trying to say no because I don't need to lose more weight and even if I do want to lose a couple pounds I'd rather do it in a healthy way rather than just do it quickly.
  • mammahawk25
    mammahawk25 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I've done the 1200cal thing and lost some weight, but I came to the conclusion that being thin is so not worth the misery I was putting myself through.

This time round I aim to eat until satisfied and make it work into my calories. I quickly realized that I need 1600-1800 cals to stay sane. MFP "gives" me only 1430, so I exercise to "earn" the rest (which is really only about an hour of walking or a 1/2 hour of running)

I'm 30 days into it now and I feel so much better/healthier AND am still losing the weight (about 8 lbs this month). It's a win-win all the way around!
  • gardengirl40
    gardengirl40 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Right there with you Chevy! I'm not interested in starving myself, I just want to live my life around food in better balance. I am shocked by how little some people are eating on here.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @cupcakes, @mammahawk, @gardengirl - Thanks for the reinforcements. I think there are a lot of people here (maybe not positing so much) that are just "doing their thing", reading the posts, and applying it.

Let's do this! :drinker:
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thats what I have rid to do! slow n steady and 10 pound goals till I reach my goal weight!! looking at the long road ahead has always stopped me from even starting that journey!!

Congrats on your success!!! xxx
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @peachy

Great Avatar - Always love a purple mane! :smile:
    Thats what I have rid to do! slow n steady and 10 pound goals till I reach my goal weight!! looking at the long road ahead has always stopped me from even starting that journey!!

Congrats on your success!!! xxx
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    The secret: Slowly but surely.
    Weight loss is not a diet; it's a life change, a mindset. It takes time, but everything that is worth having takes time.

You're doing fantastic Chevy! You're a fantastic friend and I love your positive attitude :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything you said. Especially the mean people posts. I've learned more from the mean people posts than anywhere else.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! Slow and steady wins the race in the world of weight loss. Don't ever deprive yourself! The food scale will be your best friend because you'll find if you want a treat that weighing it out can be a bit rewarding. It's always nice to know I can have more than twelve chips for a serving. Those packages are little liars! Everything in moderation and congrats on your weight loss.

I hope you continue to have an ever successful journey and that all your weight loss goals are achieved. Build strength and confidence!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Love this post, so true! I have had a similar journey to you and have learnt from it and am now doing it 100% healthily. I don't care how long it takes because as you say, it didn't go on overnight and its not going to come off overnight.
  • lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    wow ! What a great thread !!

gona try the slow and steady way !! My problem is I'm good Mon - Thurs then go a bit mad at the weekend .. trying to find a balance .. thanks for all the great advice .. if any of you positive ppl want to mentor me just send me a msg !!!

Thanks ..
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @Speedy - Thanks you have always been a great encouragement - I swear you keep the move your @ss thread going with your energy! - it's great!
    The secret: Slowly but surely.
    Weight loss is not a diet; it's a life change, a mindset. It takes time, but everything that is worth having takes time.

You're doing fantastic Chevy! You're a fantastic friend and I love your positive attitude :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

@Sharon - I hear you
    I aspire to be a "mean" person here someday... well maybe at least a real brusque and curt good information giver LOL.
    I agree with everything you said. Especially the mean people posts. I've learned more from the mean people posts than anywhere else.

@Okami - You nailed it right on the head - The scale
    actually = FREEDOM!
    Good luck on your journey! Slow and steady wins the race in the world of weight loss. Don't ever deprive yourself! The food scale will be your best friend because you'll find if you want a treat that weighing it out can be a bit rewarding. It's always nice to know I can have more than twelve chips for a serving.

@Charloo - It's good to know other people have the same attitude... I was starting to feel like I was eating twice as much as everyone else!
    Love this post, so true! I have had a similar journey to you and have learnt from it and am now doing it 100% healthily. I don't care how long it takes because as you say, it didn't go on overnight and its not going to come off overnight.

@lozzatao - That is the thing....good post
    wow ! What a great thread !!

gona try the slow and steady way !! My problem is I'm good Mon - Thurs then go a bit mad at the weekend .. trying to find a balance
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    :drinker: :smile: :smile:
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options