Maintaining, sort of...wish this was easier.

Options
13»

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    After a binge I usually give it one week before I step on the scales again. This is because I don't want to see a big gain and then go into craizy restriction mode. I am also maintaining an underweight size for the same reasons: small frame + I like how it looks on me. I stopped at this weight because I was afraid to go lower. Health is more important than looks. I know how hard it is to maintain a low weight, you have to always keep an eye on the scales; It is not a very happy way of living.
    Those weight ranges are more of a guideline based on statistics. If you go a few pounds over or under the healthy zone you don't suddenly have an ED or develop heart disease.

I like you, you understand. :flowerforyou: You know how hard it is to maintain a low weight. It's not b/c we want to be able to say we weigh a certain amount, but b/c we look good at or around a certain weight. And having a small frame makes it even harder to feel good about your body b/c any little weight shows. :sad: I started weighing myself only once a week now cause the weight fluctuations were driving me insane!!

You like this response because it validates your way of thinking. It's true that the recommended weights are guidelines based on statistics, but you want to weigh between 20 and 30 pounds below the recommended weight. That's not "a few pounds over or under" that weight. Statistically speaking, that's outside the standard deviation from the mean. Please, really and truly: seek counseling. What you are proposing for your body is unhealthy.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    After a binge I usually give it one week before I step on the scales again. This is because I don't want to see a big gain and then go into craizy restriction mode. I am also maintaining an underweight size for the same reasons: small frame + I like how it looks on me. I stopped at this weight because I was afraid to go lower. Health is more important than looks. I know how hard it is to maintain a low weight, you have to always keep an eye on the scales; It is not a very happy way of living.
    Those weight ranges are more of a guideline based on statistics. If you go a few pounds over or under the healthy zone you don't suddenly have an ED or develop heart disease.

I like you, you understand. :flowerforyou: You know how hard it is to maintain a low weight. It's not b/c we want to be able to say we weigh a certain amount, but b/c we look good at or around a certain weight. And having a small frame makes it even harder to feel good about your body b/c any little weight shows. :sad: I started weighing myself only once a week now cause the weight fluctuations were driving me insane!!

You like this response because it validates your way of thinking. It's true that the recommended weights are guidelines based on statistics, but you want to weigh between 20 and 30 pounds below the recommended weight. That's not "a few pounds over or under" that weight. Statistically speaking, that's outside the standard deviation from the mean. Please, really and truly: seek counseling. What you are proposing for your body is unhealthy.
    Yeah, honestly... I can't tell you how many times I've seen people using "but I have a really small frame" to justify under-eating or being under-weight.

If the only issue was that you truly had a smaller than average frame and were 100% healthy at the weight you're at, then you wouldn't be struggling so much to maintain. You wouldn't be stressing out so much. You wouldn't be obsessed with food and weight (thinking about it 24/7). You wouldn't be so afraid of your appetite. You wouldn't be freaking out and over-restricting every time you over-indulge or every time you feel bloated. You wouldn't be binge eating. You wouldn't be eating 1200 calories a day. You woldn't restrict yourself to "safe" foods. You wouldn't be exercising twice a day in desperate attempts to get rid of water weight. You wouldn't look at your (underweight) body and only see fat. You wouldn't be lying to your doctor about how much you weigh and wearing certain clothes to the doctor's office to make your weight appear to be healthy when it's not.

^All of that is information taken from what you've written on MFP. I have no idea what's actually going on in your head. Chances are pretty good that you're playing things down a bit here. This is not just about bmi, this is about your thoughts, feelings and behaviours. It's not about small frames and short torsos and being so teeny tiny that the rest of the world's standard's don't apply to you. I'm not trying to be flippant - people do have different frames, and some people can be perfectly healthy (physically and mentally) at the lower end of the healthy bmi range, and can easily maintain that weight. Everything you have written indicates that this is not the case for you. Please take a moment to re-read what you've written, to really look at how you're thinking and behaving, especially the parts no one else knows about. What you're doing is not healthy. And it's not going to get any easier until you accept that and get some proper help.