Have Your Friends and Family Noticed Your Weight Loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Everyone noticed when I 1) lost 15 pounds and 2) started wearing clothes that fit.

For a woman, every 10 pounds is a size change. If you don't size down, you'll look the same size!
  • Diefeinbaker
    Diefeinbaker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50lb now, my husband says he can't tell but other people that don't see me every day can definitely tell. A colleague at work that I haven't seen in a while face dropped when she noticed the other day!
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    People including my family noticed at the 20 pound mark. I've lost 71 pounds now and people think I should stop now but I'm still 12 pounds from goal weight.
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5 of 25 pounds as of today, 8 weeks in. The people who I see every day have commented on the change in my face and thigh shape (especially when I wear form-fitting jeans). But I would say I get the most comments on my muscle mass, since I've been doing a lot of strength training for upperbody, lowerbody, and abs. I've had two friends ask to feel my biceps, and I wasn't even talking about my training.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am deployed overseas so when I go home 50lbs less it is a huge difference! Friends and family have no choice but to notice. ;)
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been fluctuating between 200 and 250 my entire adult life. Either way, people tend to notice when my weight changes by about 30 lbs. Before that, only the seam of my pants seems to care.

I lost 12 months over the last month but nobody except my mother can tell - I even asked my best friend and my boyfriend hasn't said anything. I'm 5lbs above what I weighed this time last year, so I'm guessing they won't notice till I'm at least 15-25 lbs thinner than I am now because they still have a memory of me at last year's weight.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18pds (8.5kg) and no one has really said anything except a good friend of mine who is very supportive. I know that the last time I lost weight that I was a good 20kg down (44pd) before other people started commenting. I do think that they noticed before that but held back on saying anything, and then all of a sudden it seemed like everyone noticed and also felt the need to comment. Number one question "how are you doing it?" which when you reply eating healthier and exercise they look at you like you're lying or that it's completely impossible for them to get out there and do it themselves.

The other thing is that people who see me every day find it the hardest to notice the changes, whereas people I haven't seen for weeks or months can see it more.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Only one woman at work has commented, but they know I'm "dieting" because I turn down most of the goodies in the breakroom. I'm tall and broad shouldered, so it may be a while before anyone notices. Clothes that had been relegated to the back of the closet and now fit are better for morale.
  • JessicaWantsToBHealthy
    Options
    I'm down 23 pounds since September 1st, and so far only 2 people have noticed (besides my mother, who knows I am dieting) - 2 people whom I have just met within the last 6 months and only see me occasionally. However a couple of weekends ago, when I was down 18 pounds, I went to a family gathering and family members that have not seen me since May didn't say a word so I figured they had not noticed. It is a little frustrating but I am tall so I am able to "hide" a little extra weight easier :wink: , so I figure it also probably takes a little more for it to show that I have lost. I'm not down a size yet - although my pants are starting to get slightly baggy - so I think I am just about approaching the next size down. My "mini" goal is 30 pounds by my Birthday, so 7 more pounds to go to hit that first goal! My Birthday is also just before Thanksgiving, so maybe by then my relatives might finally notice I've lost some weight (hopefully)! :smile: But, I'm really doing this for ME, not for anyone else, so I guess as long as *I* know, that's all that should really matter! :wink:
  • elizabethmassie1
    Options
    I don't think I've lost enough yet for anyone to notice. I've only started running and working out about 5 weeks ago. My husband said he can tell my face is thinner, but no one else has said anything.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some act like they have @ attitude. Talk negative. I learned to ignore them. My health was involved. I appreciate myself and stop worrying about them. Long as I'm happy &feeling good. Negatively doesn't bother me.
  • sweetcocobunny
    Options
    Yes, my family noticed when I visited them this year, but they kind of made me feel bad. I didn't realize they thought I was overweight before - I thought at worst, I was on the high end of normal range. Now I'm maybe on the low end of normal or just under and they are telling me I look a lot better.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16lbs and am a small 5ft1 and only now have I had a few comments but those comments came since i stopped wearing baggy clothes! Yesterday my friend noticed my arms have definition which really thrilled me! (Thanks Jillian Michaels!) I haven't seen my mum since January but will see her in just over a week. I am dying to see if she notices or my friend who I also saw then back in the UK! I notice though and that is what really counts :happy:
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds. My brother pretty much noticed a difference every time I dropped a pound. At around 15 pounds no one noticed. But once I got closer to 20 pounds - everyone noticed in a big way. My cousins told me to stop losing more but I think I can easily lose another 5/6 pounds maybe more.
    I did get pretty annoyed at first when no one noticed but I also think that because I am still wearing clothes from when I was bigger it makes it harder to see the change when your covered up in baggy clothes. I need to go hunting for new threads but I want to get to my final size first.
  • 1donner1
    1donner1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of reasons for starting my journey (well, more than a couple, really) in the first place. My health and my sister's health. I am down close to 30 lbs and no one in my family gets to see me very often, so I thought they would have something to to say when I got to see them. No one said a word. My sister's weight is a very touchy subject, she is in denial it is affecting her health. .. I want to be the shock factor and show her it can be done. I probably won't see her again for 6 months or so. I am hoping to drop a pretty good amoumt by then. If she doesn't say anything by then, I will know she is avoiding the subject altogether. .. I wish I could say losing the weight was for me, but I am SO afraid for my sister, I want to inspire her to do berter and get healthy before it gets any more out of hand and harder for her to get a grip.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 25 and no one (well no one who doesn't know I'm trying) has noticed...
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    After losing about 15 pounds my mom noticed I was looking thinner. Then it took about 25 pounds lost before the rest of the world started to notice. It may have happened quickly for me because I was not very overweight to begin with. I'm still losing and now people just notice long enough to tell me to stop losing because I "will look ill."
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think it can be awkward to comment on weight loss, because you don't want it to come off as "Oh thank goodness. You looked like Jabba the Hutt before!" At least that's why I'm always hesitant to say anything unless the person mentions a new fitness obsession or something...

The first person to say anything (other than my husband, and he may have just been trying to encourage me) was my yoga instructor. That was at about ten pounds down. It makes sense she'd notice sooner than random friends, since I show a lot of skin in hot power yoga, and she's also watching the students to check our alignment. But since she has a gorgeous body, I felt REALLY good when she complimented me.

Now many people seem to notice. (25 pounds lost, but I'm fairly small so it shows a lot.)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    At about 20 pounds… my sister that I see everyday finally said something. I saw the rest of my family this past weekend at 30 pounds down…. they all know what I'm doing… and mostly I got comments like "you look good" nothing about how they could tell I've lost weight. Another sister did finally say that she could tell my clothes are fitting looser. I have one co-worker who just told me this morning that she could tell my face was definitely thinner. But otherwise… outside of my family (the people who know what I'm trying to do) nobody has said anything. I expect honestly it will take another 20 pounds before they notice. But I'm really big to begin with. And I think it takes longer to notice when you have more to lose.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 stone (70lb) before anyone started to really notice and even then some people still didn't