Facebook vacation photos :(

Options
How does everyone feel about seeing all of your friends and family vacations videos and photos? A lot of my family and friends have been to the beach this summer. I've never been to the beach and I'm 40 years old and all of my friends and family knows I can't afford to go on vacation and I've never been to the beach and I'm 40 years old anyways I like their photos and videos just to make them happy but it makes me feel down, I wonder if anyone knows how this makes people feel? I'm thinking about closing my Facebook account.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    How does everyone feel about seeing all of your friends and family vacations videos and photos? A lot of my family and friends have been to the beach this summer. I've never been to the beach and I'm 40 years old and all of my friends and family knows I can't afford to go on vacation and I've never been to the beach and I'm 40 years old anyways I like their photos and videos just to make them happy but it makes me feel down, I wonder if anyone knows how this makes people feel? I'm thinking about closing my Facebook account.

If someone else's vacation pics makes you feel depressed, you should probably see a doctor.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should get off facebook.

You're welcome.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    You should. I rarely use my Facebook. But If that's something you want to experience maybe get a second job so you can have that reality at least once in your life. It's worth it trust me.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do something nice for yourself.

And if Facebook people having fun bothers you, just delete it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, seeing other peoples vacations and what not makes me happy for them. Seriously, if facebook makes you feel bad about yourself, then it's really time to seperate yourself from the social media outlet.
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    Photoshop yourself in Narnia or something and post it on Facebook.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Did you just read that study about Facebook sadness or something? It was on the news yesterday.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for the rude comments bring them on Lol

Why would I make rude comments when I can just post pics of my last vacation instead?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    ... If that's something you want to experience maybe get a second job so you can have that reality at least once in your life.

This. Helpful and realistic advice.

OP, I understand sometimes it can get you down seeing others with something you want or do not have.

When I was in my mid 20's and newly married, I had just graduated from college and was struggling with debt. It seemed like all of my friends were buying houses, really nice big and/or new houses, and it just depressed the heck out of me. That was back in the days of MySpace and other sites, rather than facebook...but it was HARD sometimes seeing everyone's posts about remodeling their third bathroom or breaking ground on their custom house.

Now...I am 37 and I've been there, done that. I've owned a couple of houses and it was not all it was cracked up to be, in my opinion. I now rent again - after selling said homes for profit - and I LOVE not having to worry about upkeep and lawncare and so forth. It was a pain. I am way more proud of getting out from under my debt (prior to owning a house)!

Just saying, the grass isn't always greener. And for "everyone" on their beach vacations I bet there are tons more who, like you, are at home or doing other things. It just FEELS like "everyone" is rolling in their pile of money, but they are not.
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    2wlu0sy.jpg

Some beach vacations suck worse than your depression from lack of vacationing.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Spend less time on social media, find a way to earn some money for a vacation.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you need to look at what you do have and what is in the realm of possibility for you. What are things you enjoy doing in your area? Even if it's just on the weekend - you can have exciting adventures no matter what your budget.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I live about an hour-and-a-half away from Charleston, SC, so I can go to the beach for the day on about a half a tank of gas ($15 for my Nissan Versa). Beeeee jealous. :)
  • carlyd333
    carlyd333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lets be honest, no one will ever post a picture of them crying or looking sad. It's just for show. I'm sure you have had good times before but don't feel the need to post a picture of it or 'check in' everywhere you go. I actually think the people that feel the need to do this where ever they go or what ever they do have a problem. LOL. If it's getting you down though, take a break from it x
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A couple of tanks of gas and a tent. There are usually campgrounds near the beach where the thrifty vacationer can camp out and be near the beach all in one trip. You could spend the holiday weekend at the beach if you wanted. Pick your nearest beach location, look up the number for that city's government, and ask if there are campgrounds near the beach.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Just remember, Facebook is the highlight reel of their life. Just because they went on vacation doesn't mean there life is any better than yours. Did they go into major debt to go to the beach?

I love seeing other peoples vacations, I put pictures from my fun weekends out there when I have something good to show.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    2wlu0sy.jpg

Some beach vacations suck worse than you're depression from lack of vacationing.

:laugh:
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Is there no beach or something nice for you to do for cheap or the cost of gas? Get a 2nd job for funds or a better job. Anything is possible. And no...I don't think you should feel depressed because someone else went on vacation. I understand the feeling, I've had it, but that doesn't make it right. Jealousy and envy can be consuming. Get off Facebook.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for the rude comments bring them on Lol
    Are you trolling than? :laugh: My husband and I cannot afford a vacation away unless we wait for our taxes at the end of the year. I also opened a savings account and put a tiny amount away each check, in hopes of having enough for a vacation sometime soon.

Where do you live? Before I got married, I used to take day trips to different places and just kick back and relax. With my husband, we will take a weekend trip once in awhile and just pick someplace local and affordable and go there. Its not much, but its something and we enjoy it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    Lets be honest, no one will ever post a picture of them crying or looking sad. It's just for show. I'm sure you have had good times before but don't feel the need to post a picture of it or 'check in' everywhere you go. I actually think the people that feel the need to do this where ever they go or what ever they do have a problem. LOL. If it's getting you down though, take a break from it x

^This. One of my friends is on the verge of an extremely awkward and unpleasant divorce due to some ongoing infidelity issues, but they look like the happiest family in the world in all of their FB pictures. It is rather disturbing, but it makes sense that these are the pictures they want to have as memories and as the image that they present to people.