Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    <---- lives on coke zero.

Is still alive.

Doesn't mean your cells are healthy.

My grams smokes. She's still alive.

How can you tell if you have unhealthy cells from Diet Pepsi?
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Is still alive.

How can you tell if you have unhealthy cells from Diet Pepsi?

giphy.gif

Do you even Science?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Is still alive.

Alright, what would your definition of a healthy person be then, smarty pants?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that show artificial sweeteners cause cancer, and other studies that show they don't.

There are recent studies that show that the sweetness from artificial sweeteners cause your body to get ready for the hit of sugar, and when it doesn't come, you just end up craving more sugar, which can make you overeat, but there is no consensus on that.

Statistics show that people who drink diet sodas are heavier than people who don't, but is this cause or effect? Are they heavier because they drink diet soda, or do they drink diet soda because they are heavier?

Any soda is acidic, and so can be bad for your teeth and can throw off your pH.

The bubbles from soda can cause bloating or gas in some folks.

So basically, it depends who you believe and what the tradeoff is. Personally, I just try to avoid excess. So in my completely unprofessional opinion... Guzzling diet soda all day = probably bad for you. Having a bottle of diet soda with lunch most days = no big deal.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that show artificial sweeteners cause cancer, and other studies that show they don't.

There are recent studies that show that the sweetness from artificial sweeteners cause your body to get ready for the hit of sugar, and when it doesn't come, you just end up craving more sugar, which can make you overeat, but there is no consensus on that.

Statistics show that people who drink diet sodas are heavier than people who don't, but is this cause or effect? Are they heavier because they drink diet soda, or do they drink diet soda because they are heavier?

So basically, it depends who you believe and what the tradeoff is. Personally, I just try to avoid excess. So in my completely unprofessional opinion... Guzzling diet soda all day = probably bad for you. Having a bottle of diet soda with lunch most days = no big deal.

I think if you were to track down these 'recent studies' you'd be surprised at their results. Never trust a news outlet reporting a scientific study.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Just to add on to this...you could substitute apples for soda in the last paragraph and reach the same level of truth.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well honestly I drink quite a lot of it. I don't guzzle it down or anything but I usually get through a 2l bottle in a day. It has not slowed my weight loss not has it impacted my physical fitness which is going through the roof. I don't crave any carbs or sweet things. Frankly I think the research is bollocks.

Quite a lot of this "research" tends to end up being sponsored by diet soda's market competitors I find. Theres a whole lot of money in beverages. And people who have come to believe that anything fun must automatically be unhealthy by right into it. I guess it's like the modern form of those puritan Christians who believed that suffering was holy or something.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Well honestly I drink quite a lot of it. I don't guzzle it down or anything but I usually get through a 2l bottle in a day. It has not slowed my weight loss not has it impacted my physical fitness which is going through the roof. I don't crave any carbs or sweet things. Frankly I think the research is bollocks.

The research isn't made up or false. People are just making up their own conclusions and taking the reported data the wrong way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I guess what I meant to add is, if diet soda even is a vice at all, it is not very high on the list of vices :happy: . And if it keeps you from drinking regular soda or snacking on junk food, it's worth it regardless!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have 1-2 diet sodas daily.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and belly fat. Ironically, we actually gain weight from Diet Coke. In two studies conducted by the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, those “who said they consumed two or more diet sodas a day, experienced waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than those of non-users.”

It causes diabetes and heart disease. When waist circumference (belly fat) increases, this contributes to diabetes and heart disease, which a 2010 study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine confirmed.

It makes your kidneys sluggish. Diet soda may interfere with the kidneys, found the Harvard Nurse’s Study, which reported a 30% drop in kidney function with just two servings of diet soda each day.

Aspartame’s been linked to cancer. A lot. Aspartame is “generally recognized as safe” by the FDA while substantial data has shown its link to cancer. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) cautions against Aspartame because it’s poorly tested, and contains three well-recognized neurotoxins. Aspartame was found to increase cancer risk if exposure begins in the womb, reported a study at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center. And various studies have linked lymphoma and tumors in rats. And beware the BPA of cans and caramel coloring, reports Grist.

I have a disease that impacts kidney function, and my doctor has never told me that I should avoid any sodas. He has told me to avoid energy drinks, but that's not something a healthy individual has to deal with.

Also, everything can be linked to cancer. Your drinking glasses? Those might give you cancer. Red meat? Cancer. Tap water, that could give you cancer.

Why? The people run studies on rats/mice that are more likely to develop tumors. So that means, if you had one as a pet, it would more than likely grow tumors in its lifetime. They also give the animal more of the chemical than any human would ever ingest.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Soda, in particular of the cola variety, is poor for your health because it's acidity alters pH levels of the body until the body can regulate and equalize back to homeostasis.

--

W. Tramontana | NREMT

No, Just NO :noway:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    In and of itself and in the context of an otherwise overall healthy balanced diet... no.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I drink it - must admit the kids might not survive if i did not get my caffeine hit.

However i can statically prove that 100% of all diet pop drinkers will die with 500 years of drinking the stuff.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Soda, in particular of the cola variety, is poor for your health because it's acidity alters pH levels of the body until the body can regulate and equalize back to homeostasis.

--

W. Tramontana | NREMT

No, Just NO :noway:

.. I guess lemon juice and vinegar is bad for me too huh. lol.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.

And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar sweetened sodas!!

How does that happen?

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar activating our genetically programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.
    They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.
    It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn less calories every day.
    It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.
    In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks – EVEN eating less calories.
    In population studies there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Stop making things up.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Only in comparison to Diet Coke...because Coke>Pepsi
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a friend who only drinks diet Pepsi and she's in her 50's. This woman has surgery every 3 months to either install a tube in her liver or a duct in her bladder. Not sure what is going on but she is on pain pills all the time. These surgeries have been going on for two years now. I asked her to try kicking the diet Pepsi habit but she says she can't. She doesn't drink water. Are the two issues linked? I say they are. Who knows?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    There have been "studies" on everything under the sun and if you pay attention to them all you will go slowly insane.

Do what makes you happy and fits in with your calorie limit on MFP.

How's that for a simple answer?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a friend who only drinks diet Pepsi and she's in her 50's. This woman has surgery every 3 months to either install a tube in her liver or a duct in her bladder. Not sure what is going on but she is on pain pills all the time. These surgeries have been going on for two years now. I asked her to try kicking the diet Pepsi habit but she says she can't. She doesn't drink water. Are the two issues linked? I say they are. Who knows?

Holy leap of faith, Batman!