Is Diet Pepsi Really Bad For Me?

Options

Replies

• joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    if you google CARMEL COLOR CANCER you probably wont drink pepsi any more.
    if you think sprite or 7up or fruit soda is better because it dosnt have carmel color, then google BROMOLATED VEGETABLE OIL (BVO) and you will never drink sprite or 7up or fruit soda again.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a friend who only drinks diet Pepsi and she's in her 50's. This woman has surgery every 3 months to either install a tube in her liver or a duct in her bladder. Not sure what is going on but she is on pain pills all the time. These surgeries have been going on for two years now. I asked her to try kicking the diet Pepsi habit but she says she can't. She doesn't drink water. Are the two issues linked? I say they are. Who knows?

I drink water, and I have immune issues. I've had different forms of chemo off and on for the last 13 years. Are they linked? Totally. Stop drinking water.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Well honestly I drink quite a lot of it. I don't guzzle it down or anything but I usually get through a 2l bottle in a day. It has not slowed my weight loss not has it impacted my physical fitness which is going through the roof. I don't crave any carbs or sweet things. Frankly I think the research is bollocks.

The research isn't made up or false. People are just making up their own conclusions and taking the reported data the wrong way.

But they may be poorly designed studies. And probably are - I am having a really hard time finding nutrition research that passes the sniff test in that regard.

OP, if you have phenylketonuria or gout, you shouldn't be drinking soda, period. Actually, for gout, it's the caramel color that is the potential trigger, so you could drink non-brown soda without harm.

If you notice that you're hungrier after having a diet soda, you might not want to drink it.

If you have really lousy tooth enamel, you might not want to drink it.

Otherwise, there's no reliable evidence that it is a problem. Drink away.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    if you google CARMEL COLOR CANCER you probably wont drink pepsi any more.
    if you think sprite or 7up or fruit soda is better because it dosnt have carmel color, then google BROMOLATED VEGETABLE OIL (BVO) and you will never drink sprite or 7up or fruit soda again.

I believe you mean 'Brominated,' which refers to the process of aerating the oil with bromine. Which, yes, is not a happy chemical. As far as I know, this is only an ingredient in fluroescent colored sodas (Mt Dew, Squirt, etc).
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I don't know but I do have a friend who only drinks diet Pepsi and she's in her 50's. This woman has surgery every 3 months to either install a tube in her liver or a duct in her bladder. Not sure what is going on but she is on pain pills all the time. These surgeries have been going on for two years now. I asked her to try kicking the diet Pepsi habit but she says she can't. She doesn't drink water. Are the two issues linked? I say they are. Who knows?

I drink water, and I have immune issues. I've had different forms of chemo off and on for the last 13 years. Are they linked? Totally. Stop drinking water.

Dihydrogen Monoxide kills millions of people every year.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    100% of the people who drink Diet Pepsi will die.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    100% of the people who drink Diet Pepsi will die.

fact.png
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I weep for science.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat mentos at the same time because you don't want to explode do you.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't cause you to eat more, for some people it does, I don't see the harm in it.

As with everything it's probably better to drink it in moderation. Are the chemicals in it bad for you? I don't know. We eat and drink a lot of things that have been altered, processed or entirely fabricated from chemicals.

So unless you eat exceptionally clean I don't think it will make much of a difference.
  • jjulliee
    jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and artificial sweeteners when I read studies about how they can trick your body into gaining weight. I actually used to crave diet soda, and I feel it is engineered to be addictive. I also choose not to drink sodas because of the artificial preservatives and colors, which I avoid in all things I consume.

Time will only tell if these will have bad effects on our health, but I prefer not to be a guinea pig.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and artificial sweeteners when I read studies about how they can trick your body into gaining weight.

How did you manage to get your hands on studies that don't actually exist?
  • jjulliee
    Options
    Ok, to be more specific, stories about studies. True - not true? We'll never know, just like we don't know if anything in the news is true, but that will never change. So, I did my own study and by cutting out sodas and other crap, lost 52 lbs, no longer get heartburn, and can walk long distances without my feet swelling. That's good enough for me :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and artificial sweeteners when I read studies about how they can trick your body into gaining weight.

How did you manage to get your hands on studies that don't actually exist?

In...

for tricksy little hobbitses... I'm mean, tricky little diet cokes
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ok, to be more specific, stories about studies. True - not true? We'll never know, just like we don't know if anything in the news is true, but that will never change. So, I did my own study and by cutting out sodas and other crap, lost 52 lbs, no longer get heartburn, and can walk long distances without my feet swelling. That's good enough for me :)

Actually we do know that there have been no studies that prove your point.

And I'm guessing the bold part is why you lost weight. Congrats on the weight loss though. :flowerforyou:
  • srslybritt
    Options
    As long as you don't eat mentos at the same time because you don't want to explode do you.

tumblr_ms21d1nNRa1rjcfxro1_400.gif&size=400x1000
  • jjulliee
    Options
    Whoa!! Don't mess with peoples' soda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Oh hey! A calorie deficit and exercise! That's what I'm doing too!

Diet buddies!
    504757.gif
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think I read some where that some sugar free/diet drinks contain sorbitol which is used as a laxative, I could be wrong though.

I don't think diet drinks are particularly bad, I just don't like the taste. They're good if you don't like to drink your calories, but you want something sweet. The only thing that I find is, a small minority of people forget they are diet drinks and they think they can pile in loads of other food.

Other than that op, I think it's fine.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    In to learn what in this world is not made of chemicals, also about magical studies that appear and disappear.