Preferrance? Workout Buddy vs Workingout Alone

Options
2»

Replies

• catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Definitely alone. Have tried working out with people before and they were either always "running late" or had something go on with a kid, pet, car, etc or they spent the whole time trying to chat. I don't talk much, if at all, when I work out. I like a comfortable silence.
  • rubyqueen807
    rubyqueen807 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't mind working out with people but i always find that you never use the same weight or someone is done before the other person. It is nice to have someone watching your form though.
    Plus i love blasting music.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I always talk to my friends and coworkers about fitness but when it gets down to it and they want to work out together I just find a way out of it because I have a set schedule of things I like to do and other people don't. Some people want to Zumba, i want to run. Others want to do T25 when I would rather lift heavy things and put them down. Stuff like that. Basically, having a workout buddy may help some but it can also get in the way. I don't want to chit chat or play around. When I go to the gym I go there to get work done, as quickly as i can and get out of there. Partially because I feel uncomfortable being in the free weights area with all the grunting dudebrahs and partially because my time is precious and my work outs are important.

If you are driving yourself hard then stick to it! If you want to bring friends into the fold then do it by inviting them into a seperate independent workout like training for a 5k. Or hiking? That way you get healthy friend time without hindering your progress.

At the end of the day it's all about getting your healthy on.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I really like working out alone. I can go to the gym when I choose without having to fit in with anyone elses schedule, pop my headphones in and go at it. However I'd love to have someone to play tennis against, try squash with or go on a bike ride with.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd love a good lifting buddy as my back issues have me terrified of bad form.

But just to form check. The gym isn't really a social scene for me
  • Luvs_Chocolate
    Luvs_Chocolate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to work out alone, even when my husband comes with me he does his thing and I do mine. I usually have my Ipod on anyway to block everyone out.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Alone, I can do my weights session in 25-30 mins. I see guys with buddies and it is like watching a knitting circle. They get stuff done eventually. I've been through SL5x5 and on to some easy cardio and they are still working out their chesticles. Being focussed is a good thing to my mind.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Alone. I don't want anyone anywhere near me when working out.
  • neil_machen
    neil_machen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    alone when weight training, and like to cycle alone too. I do enjoy the group feeling of spinning classes though so I guess I mix it up a bit
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    Alone. I've tried so many times to workout with a buddy, but they always slow me down, or bug me to quit way sooner than I would like. I don't mind actually GOING to the gym with someone, but while I'm there I like to do my own thing. :smile:
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having a buddy to lift with but would prefer doing my cardio alone.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone, I zone out, I do enjoy group sessions like sparring and so on but when it comes to running and lifting weights, its me time, I find it therapeutic
  • neil_machen
    neil_machen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Alone. I've tried so many times to workout with a buddy, but they always slow me down, or bug me to quit way sooner than I would like. I don't mind actually GOING to the gym with someone, but while I'm there I like to do my own thing. :smile:

That's my thoughts too!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I normally workout alone, with my headphones in and my music on full blast. I have done this successfully for over 5 years.

However, I am studying for my personal trainer certification so I am "practicing" on my sister who is trying to get in better shape before her wedding, so I started training her yesterday. Interestingly enough, I pushed myself harder than I normally do. So maybe I am better off with a partner.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Gym time is Me time so I prefer solo. If I'm outside walking I do like to have a friend to chat with otherwise I just crank up the tunes in my earbuds and go.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I prefer solo too. As you might guess from my user name, I get into a zone when exercising, whether it's weights or cardio or a hike. It's as good for my mental health as my physical health. I don't mind hiking or cycling with others occasionally but most of the time I want it to be alone time. Just me and my personal goals for that workout.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I prefer to lift on my own. I prefer to cycle with others (but that hardly ever happens...I'm usually on my own).

Definitely cycling with others is understandable. I'm wanting to get into that and would want to be one-on-one or a tiny group.