does it get better?

Options
13»

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I can't go faster than 12 minute mile, I don't mind that at my current weight but when I was 123lbs and had been running miles and miles for over a year I thought it'd get faster! I know I'm not the slowest runner ever but I certainly am on the running circuit I do (there are tons of running clubs near me so everyone is really fast!)

Yeah. I don't do running clubs much because my race pace is their recovery run.

I quit going to mine. Their training pace is the same pace as their 5K and marathon pace. Clueless.

Lolz basically. It's fun to go sometimes and mess with them. Be like "yeah, I'm doing an easy 6 maybe 8:30 pace.. I'm really sore"... Then just start busting out the 7:30s... turn it into a tempo. People dying racing. It's something I like to do every other month. I like to play "last one standing" ;)
  • homesbydavid
    Options
    I have run for many years and I have had a love/hate relationship with running. I hated to run when I found it painful. From my experience, and that of my running friends, it will get better as you train, and as your fitness improves. My current weight is around 188 (my goal weight is 170), but I have run a marathon at 230 pounds.

Losing weight can make running so much easier. I currently run around 45 miles a week. I love it now that I’m in better shape. Last year, my resting heart rate was around 70, when I weighed over 210 pounds. The last two nights my resting heart rate has been 45.

My advice is not to push too hard. There is nothing wrong with walking when needed. If you feel really sore take time off for a day or two, until the soreness disappears.

If you decide you want to continue running, you may want to find a running group. Many cities have running clubs and some specialty running stores have free training groups. My club, the Montgomery County Road Runners, (just outside of Washington, DC) offer beginning runner programs. It is so much easier to run with other people. This past weekend, I ran 14 miles with a couple of hundred people training for a marathon. Many are first timers who are training for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall. Our pace groups range from 9 to 13 minutes a mile. There is nothing wrong with running slow. We have runners of all sizes and shapes.

A race can be a great experience. Run the 5k and then decide if you want to continue running. Don’t let your speed discourage your training. Most people did not start out running fast. It takes time to train your body and your mind. I don’t care if you run slow or fast. You are a runner.