Adam Richman's new show cancelled over Instagram remarks

Options
13»

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    more proof that being "hangry" is dangerous. Give the dude a great big green chile omelet and he'll be all cool again.

Exactly!!!
    I still like Adam and I will still watch his show. I never even heard of #thinspiration. It sounds like a positive term to me.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    more proof that being "hangry" I dangerous. Give the dude a great big green chile omelet and he'll be all cool again.

Marry me.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    He should have just walked away. Instead he fought back against the backlash hard, acted like plenty of anonymous interwebers, forgetting that he's too well known to get away with it.

But the initial uproar over the #thinspiration was disgusting. Unfortunately Adam was big with a lot of overweight food addicts, who took his previous girthy "real" body as some kind of point of pride; look, one of us on TV! Some of his fans were already upset and downright insulted just because he lost the weight in the first place. They thought he was a big, proud food lover and couldn't comprehend why he'd shed so much weight and be so damn PROUD about it.

Similar backlash happened when MoNique shed a bunch of weight. Even though she didn't get skinny, some of her fanbase was spitting nails just because she wasn't the obese, proud woman they'd known and loved. And she never made any public derogatory comments, in fact kept pushing the "big is beautiful" mantra, and still had folks upset.

Every celebrity who was once well known for their girth, and seemed proud about it, gets butthurt if they shed the weight.
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Another victory for social media, another celebrity loss.

Sometimes having such an intimate connection to fans and the public is a curse.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The show isn't getting cancelled, don't worry your pretty little heads. Have you not paid attention to how these things play out? How long did it take A&E to back pedal when they cancelled Duck Dynasty over Phil's comments? The network cancels the opening to build a buzz. I bet when it does air it gets double the ratings it would have gotten if it aired on time. I wouldn't be totally surprised if his overreaction wasn't planned. It's television people, they have to build the hype.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    So stupid. This was more about someone getting hits for their blog than anything Adam said. He was trying to be gracious, but kinda went off after that, which most people would.
    Richman wrote in part. “If anyone acts like a [four letter word] I’ll call them one. It’s not misogyny, it’s calling a spade a spade….if my use of the hashtag offended you, it was unintentional & for that I’m sorry.”

Yeah, I had no clue what that hashtag meant in a small ciricle and I thought he was being positive using thinspiration.

Again, just stupid.

Personally, my family has loved watching Adam's shows.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Title.newsflash.jpg

B LIST CELEBRITY GETS INTO ARGUMENT ON INTERNET WITH PEOPLE OVER TRIVIAL SEMANTICS!
    FEELINGS IN CRITICAL CONDITION
    B LIST TELEVISION SHOW DELAYED, POTENTIALLY CANCELLED
    UP TO 16 JOBS POTENTIALLY IMPACTED
    DEVELOPING . . .

I cracked a slight smirk at this
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It shows how much control overly sensitive people have on brainless TV executives. You can be fired over anything these days if it falls into the potentially un PC realm.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    The show isn't getting cancelled, don't worry your pretty little heads. Have you not paid attention to how these things play out? How long did it take A&E to back pedal when they cancelled Duck Dynasty over Phil's comments? The network cancels the opening to build a buzz. I bet when it does air it gets double the ratings it would have gotten if it aired on time. I wouldn't be totally surprised if his overreaction wasn't planned. It's television people, they have to build the hype.

I'm not saying his show is cancelled for good, but the Duck Dynasty example doesn't fly.

The racist comments spewed by Phil Robertson are shared among a lot of that show's core base. A lot of his viewers sympathize with his "plight" and are ultra-conservatives who are extremely anti-PC most things. He alienated some of his viewers, but a lot of them stuck by him by a sheer sense of shared camaraderie in ignorance.

Meanwhile Adam was a fat guy who hosted a show about food. Losing weight already challenged some of his core base, as did his proud flaunting of it. Now he's got a lot of fat folks mad over the whole "thinspiration" thing and, of course, the resulting insults. Adam could very well be upsetting the very base of people who made him popular, unlike Robertson.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    unless your part of that "world" how are you to know they "claimed" a hashtag or word.. this is petty.. and i'll leave this here (cause it fits) :bigsmile:

9e4f8c24da2cae8e32ddaab2d5620c316c11bdb76279c955f5833b9c81b30d24.jpg
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Good for him. He is right. Look at who the lady was that he first replied to and read her facebook fat acceptance page. Maybe some more #fitspiration "triggers" will get her to lose the extra 400 lbs she is carrying and stop promoting obesity. What is the world coming to, everything now is a trigger to people with more mental disorders than you can count, living in fear of half the world.

He is a comedian and made an abrasive comment. Terrible!

As a business move, he made a dumb decision. he should have known you have to be totally PC and bend over backwards to the fringe acceptance movements.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Good for him. He is right. Look at who the lady was that he first replied to and read her facebook fat acceptance page. Maybe some more #fitspiration "triggers" will get her to lose the extra 400 lbs she is carrying and stop promoting obesity.

Not surprised. I thought the whole nonsense that it was former anorexics who were driving the outrage to be pretty hilarious. I didn't even bother to look up the people who were causing the uproar because I figured they were likely obese.